Author Topic: stringer for 10' board  (Read 3197 times)

bajasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
stringer for 10' board
« on: October 31, 2016, 05:43:36 AM »
so its time again to build another board.  I feel the need to be creative again but hate the sanding part of a build.. I don't mind the glassing..

My two 10' boards are dust... I loved them both.. My first build, I built without a stringer... It was a great board but had a short life... I broke it on an overhead day. 

I over built the next one with a 1/2 ply stringer.. Man, its super heavy now..  Just a pain to take anywhere.

My foam is 1 lb.  All I can get here in Mexico.  So gotta figure out what kind of stringer I am gonna put in it..

I was thinking of a pink 1" Home Depot foam, just might be enough to add some rigidity to the board... Or maybe glass the HD foam with 4oz on each side.  then glue the board together.

Or router the board from the middle out, both sides,  say 2"or 2 1/2  deep.  The put the 1" Home Depot foam in with glass on each side.. 

Or add a 1/4 inch stringer.

My glassing is always a bit heavy.. I glass 2- 6 oz on the bottom and 3- 6oz on the top..

I dont have any carbon here on me and really dont want to wait the 2 or 3 weeks to get it...

I am also building a 7.6 tomo prone board for the spots that have the surf crowd.. No stringer needed there..

My 8.6 Tomo build is without a stringer and had been surfed the last 3 years, in small to serious waves.  Same build without a stringer.  No problems with the board.

Any and all thoughts appreciated.

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: stringer for 10' board
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 07:15:58 AM »
I'd lighten up on the glassing schedule and add a stringer. Go with a 1\8 stringer, 6+4 top and bottom with a 4 oz patch where you stand. Make sure to always put the 4oz OVER the 6oz when laminating. Put 6oz patches around each fin. With 1lb foam the board will be light if the glassing is done properly

Many people go stringerless. I just see too many break and with the high build cost of SUPs I just like a little insurance.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 03:57:56 PM »
I have done some 1/4 inch ply stringers, two threads here. One of them got removed before the board was glassed. I do not have long-term durability thoughts since both boards are relatively new and I am not out that much.
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

bajasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 01:45:08 PM »
Yea, I have beaten the subject to death. 

I will put in the stringer and go from there.

I was wondering if the Home Depot pink foam glassed on each side, wouyld have made a good stringer.

I put the SUP on hold and I am building my 7.6 prone board.  I made it 25" wide and 3" thick.  Its just an expierement.. Then I will build my SUP next week.

Thanks.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 09:45:34 PM »
I love the glass stringer idea. Make sure and post up. Also, love some shots of that prone board (the shape shack is pretty mellow about that sort of thing.)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 11:02:38 PM »
I talked to Ron House about glass stringers years ago. We were talking about getting long race boards lighter and stiffer. It's like adding two more rails as far as strength. If you were to router out a 1" or wider channel after you've shaped the board. Then glass the bottom & walls of the channel with maybe 2 layers of 6 oz and leave a 1" or so return flange on the surface. Gorilla Glue a piece of foam in the channel and shape it back flush. I'm thinking doing it on the bottom would structurally be better. When you glass the bottom, you would lap over the flanges creating a glass tube stringer. Use a jig to allow for the channel depth to vary with the thickness of the board. Would probably work well, but more work.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 01:28:59 AM »
I have experimented with all sorts of stringers on 14' but more just to keep the rocker correct for glassing. Personally I see wood stringers as a weak point on a eps blank, prone to absorbing water and wicking it down the board even faster and allso creates a hard stress point on the deck were you stand. Most sup's don't use stringers as the extra thickness provides the strength. Composite stringers are ok but not hugely effective and labour intensive. If you want stiff I would just go for more glass or carbon on the rails giving you more durability at the same time or do a PVC or CoreCork Sandwich which will give you stiffness and durability

bajasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 04:53:21 AM »
Okay, I have some 17" wide 1/32 Bamboo that I can sandwich on, and years ago, I did a 1/16th ply sandwich on prone board.

Maybe I will go that route...

I dont have PVC or Core Cork here in Mexico.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 05:17:06 AM »
Personally I don't like wood or bamboo cork is super nice to work with if you can get it.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal