Author Topic: Posting images on the WEB. Which format is the best?  (Read 5734 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Posting images on the WEB. Which format is the best?
« on: October 30, 2016, 02:22:14 PM »
I've downloaded and uploaded images on the web in all different formats. Without really understanding which is best, I just went with what works for me. I did notice that the .PNG files were really big, and by reducing the file size of the image to post, the displayed size got too small. The .GIF files were pretty small, but lacked clarity. The .JPG seemed to be a happy medium.
I shoot my DSLR in .RAW, which is a professional format that allows for extensive post-editing. The .RAW file sizes are huge, and not really web feasible. I convert them to .JPG for web posting or even just saving on my phone. 

Here's an article on the basic's of the web friendly formats. I found it answered some questions for me.  http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/whats-the-difference-between-a-gif-a-jpg-and-a-png-file/

BTW, I use a freeware photo editing software called PhotoScape. It does a nice job editing and quickly converting and resizing images. What do you use and what is your process of resizing and posting?
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Posting images on the WEB. Which format is the best?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 03:34:57 PM »
If I find an image I like, I'll save it as is, however a GIF file is one that has motion so I don't save those as a pic.
Then I'll call that image up in Paint (we all have Paint), which I find the easiest for cropping, resizing, and/or changing the file type, like .bmp or .png to .jpg (use the 'save as' option for changing the file type), .jpg uses the least amount of memory and are the easiest to post.  The only thing you can't do to a pic in Paint is change the color hues, other than that I use it for all my photo manipulations, including copying, flipping, or splicing such as the pic below.  It's amazing what you can do with Paint once you really get into that program, about the only thing I don't do, or rarely do with Paint is paint or draw.
It takes a quiver to do that.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 04:41:50 PM »
I shoot my DSLR in .RAW, which is a professional format that allows for extensive post-editing. The .RAW file sizes are huge, and not really web feasible. I convert them to .JPG for web posting or even just saving on my phone. 

BTW, I use a freeware photo editing software called PhotoScape. It does a nice job editing and quickly converting and resizing images. What do you use and what is your process of resizing and posting?

For raw we just use iPhoto or PS or Nikon nef or Sony arw apps or other 3rd party raw converters to TIFF - then noise removal in NN - then resized to jpg.  But that is overkill in virtually all normal circumstances for posting to the web or email.  You can only see the real detail on a big screen zoomed in pixel peeping anyways.  And need a raw viewer.  Better to send via stick - the raw images or the processed images.  Have done that a few times for candid wedding photos and such for friends and relatives.

So we just do quick edits of the raw in iPhoto - then spit out small resized jpg images.  For many we stuff into a PDF and have that resized which fits like a hundred ok images.  Same with vid - resize mov or whatever and put into another container.  Can send like a 5 min vid in an email.  Limit is around 22mb for a PDF or mp4 which bloats to around 30.

For a few simple images from a phone or underwater cam we just resize in iPhoto and upload or send in the Mail app if nearing limits.  In iPhoto it allows you to resize to jpgs before sending.  Many different methods really.  But iPhoto is fast and very easy for anyone to do without much photo editing experience - especially with raw.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 05:14:05 PM »

I've never heard of Paint.

I use Microsoft Picture Manager.

Resize, compress, save as, done.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 05:17:40 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 07:27:52 PM »
It's part of your basic Windows package, we are now on Windows 10, it's filed under "windows accessories" when you open "All apps", it's one of the first basic windows accessories that goes back decades.
It takes a quiver to do that.

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 03:39:11 AM »
What is the best format for conversion straight from IPhone? I have been converting to  png format because the zone doesn't like whatever apple does with their picture format ...it also requires it be reduced to such a small file size it comes out looking like it was shot with a 1950's point and shoot, blown up to 20" x 30" and the center 2" x 3"'was cropped out...

Not looking to make a career out of it, just an easy way to post pictures on the zone directly from my IPhone 6S+ while keeping a decent amount of definition. The last few pictures I posted were very crude compared to he originals.

Have to say the zone is the only place I run into this issue...why is that?

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 04:34:42 AM »
Have to say the zone is the only place I run into this issue...why is that?

Try again now.  We may have still had the .jpeg (Apple) variant of .jpg blocked for certain uses (idntical format different extension).  I  think it should be fixed now.  All current browsers will display both .jpg and .jpeg now but certain software still defaults to a restricted format group, and in unusual places

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 04:58:38 AM »
Admin...thanks the format issue seems to have gone away...can anything be done about the file size...still had to reduce it to 10% of the original which translates to very poor image quality. Appreciate your responsiveness.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 05:11:32 AM »
Please let me know your workflow for uploading to the Zone.  Which devices/apps are you using?  We have upload restricted to 1 MB per image  and 10 MB total per post. 

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 05:23:18 AM »
^ how much does disc space cost?

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 05:24:48 AM »
Admin...going straight from my I phone image photo library > "Image Converter" app to resize > saved to IPhone library >post reply (SUPZone) > attachments and other options > chooses file from library > Post

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 05:51:28 AM »
^ how much does disc space cost?

Hi Yugi,

Cost and disc space are not the issue.  Because of the forum format (15 posts per page) and the possibility of 10 photos per post...

I am sure you have come across photo heavy posts even with our current settings that are vexing to load/view.  We have to try to strike a balance.  Also consider that most users are now on mobile devices and are often downloading on lower bandwidth connections.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2016, 06:01:49 AM »
Admin...going straight from my I phone image photo library > "Image Converter" app to resize > saved to IPhone library >post reply (SUPZone) > attachments and other options > chooses file from library > Post

Hi,

how are the images being captured?  Are they web images, iPhone Camera images, 3rd party capture images, screen shots, etc?  Each of these can apply compression to your images.  Does the image look higher quality in Photos on your phone after reduction than it does on the Zone?  What browser are you using on your phone to view the Zone?

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2016, 06:46:59 AM »
I mostly import from my iPhone to iPhoto and then using the Export function in iPhoto export to a desktop folder in JPEG format as per settings below and use the exported (and smaller) image to post to the Zone. I cannot find a way to easily post an image directly to the Zone taken on my iPhone 7..
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2016, 07:02:09 AM »
Hi Offshore...

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest