Author Topic: Major league monkeywrench  (Read 4774 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Major league monkeywrench
« on: October 27, 2016, 09:17:11 PM »
Probably about two pounds worth.

Everyone who knows Diane well knows a bit of light went out of her when our dog Sam died, and it didn't come back until a few days ago. Sam came from a breeder in Corvallis--Knollbrook Kennels, who have a huge reputation for great Brittanys. When Sam died we agreed to wait a while before we got another dog--a chance to travel without the problem of a dog.  I finally got wise and realized she was doing it for me, and she just never stopped missing Sam, never stopped being sad. We contacted Knollbrook and they said we'll put you on the list, it's about two years.

Not good.

Two days ago they called, and said a dog was available. Right now. Some folks had a change of plans, and the owner jumped Diane over a long list of people to offer the dog to her. The weird part is that we had both been looking at the Knollbrook website the day before, and talking about the fact that we just wouldn't consider going elsewhere for a dog. Weirder yet. he's the spitting image of Sammy:

So here's the problem--you pretty much can't bring a puppy to Maui. If we refused this dog, we'd go back to the end of the line. It's a special thing, and it's one shot. I realized that immediately, and I told Diane--take the dog. I know my girl. If I didn't want to do it, she'd grit her teeth and go along, but that's the last thing I want. I want to see that light back in her eyes.

It takes a year of testing, verification. a chip, etc. to be able to bring a dog to Maui, because there's no rabies there, and they don't want any. So Diane won't be coming to Maui this year.  I'll be coming for a few weeks here and there, but not for the whole winter.

We're going to rent or trade for something in Southern California instead. If someone knows of something in Dana Point or my preference--the balboa peninsula (I'd like to get back into bodysurfing the wedge) let me know. we'd be willing to trade week for week with Ponohouse. It is for sale, so there might occasionally be showings to work around, but it's Karla Aguera--she's a sweety. She'll work with whoever is there to make it painless. I'll be there sometimes, but I'll stay in the caretaker's cottage. It's a pretty special place:

www.ponohouse.com

Anyway, it's going to be an interesting year. and I'm thrilled that Diane will have a new buddy to hang out by her knee. He'll be trained as a diabetic alert dog, which Britannys are great at.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 09:21:15 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Major league monkeywrench
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 09:36:50 PM »
Congrats on the puppy! Wow, he's adorable. The dog, not you.

Life must be lived. Glad you'll be making an appearance or three. HM and I have been preparing ourselves for your arrival, wrapping gear in kevlar vests and body/board armor.

I ran into Rod and his buddy Steve (also from da Hood) today up at Launi's. The 'surf', such as it was, would have probably been bigger at the sandbar in Hood River. It was pretty grim, yesterday not so bad but really flat today. We tried anyway of course and caught a handful of double over ankle barrels. If Maliko fires tomorrow, maybe I can get Rod on a downwinder. We'll see.

I'm excited for you about the dog but I have also been looking forward to your arrival. So has the cougar down at the Mana Kai. She's been asking after you. Now what am I gonna tell her? She'll be devastated.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 09:38:41 PM »
I'm coming on the 9th or november as planned, but probably only for three weeks.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 10:37:42 PM »
That's always great news to get a dog.  But remember, 3 weeks is 21 in dog weeks.   You may crack and come back early.

We went through the same thing when Apollo died suddenly earlier this year. The breeder I knew from the past had a long wait (not 2 years!) but we reserved one because we wanted one from her, and we'd found that we wouldn't have been a good fit for various reasons for the rescue dogs we'd looked at.  After the long wait the puppies were born, but ours died the day after birth--first time that happened ever for the breeder in decades of breeding.  So we were then set to get one in fall from the next litter that wasn't already fully spoken for.   

Then out of the blue last summer the breeder called and said she had a puppy she'd planned to keep herself, but some sudden (human) family health problems precluded her taking on the work (I'd forgotten how much!) of raising a puppy.  So she thought of us and when we said, "We'd love to have him, when's he available?" she said, "Can you come get him tomorrow?" All's been a really happy blur since then.  He is a German Shepherd/Piranha mix.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 02:46:27 AM »
Very cool!

yep, plans change with these little guys

Enjoy.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 04:02:46 AM »
Give Di and the puppy a hug for me.....can't wait for a chance to help spoil him or her. Name yet?
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 04:21:08 AM »
Ahhhh...what a cutie!  My first dog as an adult was a Springer Spaniel, Tuesday many moons ago.  We had no kids and we're stationed in eastern North Carolina as the time.  I was big into quail hunting and man was that dog special.  She flushed many dozens of birds for me and boy did we eat good.  Quail stuffed with fresh crabmeat was often the dinner choice.

Enjoy that little pup!!!!!
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 05:33:59 AM »
Jeez PB, does this addition move you to third smartest in your household?

What a beauty, Congrats and good luck!

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 07:30:49 AM »
My wife and I understand.  We had to say good-by to our 18 year old dog earlier this month.  Vacations were always with the dogs. We are going to do without, for now. 

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 09:12:07 AM »
Very cute pup.  We have a puggle (pug beagle mix) and I need to get my wife this bumper sticker.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 09:14:14 AM »
If you're coming to Southern California for surf, Dana Point, the wedge, and Balboa may be too far north. Southern California is like Maui with summer / winter surf on the west side / north shore. The farther south you go in the winter, the better the surf. Here is a swell model for SoCal that illustrates whats happening

Sunset cliffs misses a lot of summer surf, but really turns on in winter.

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 10:46:14 AM »
That is one cute puppy! I'm happy for all three of you.
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 11:08:05 AM »
Gimme a month at Pono House, and I'll turn it into a profitable youth hostel for you.  I promise no spray paint graffiti.

How about a straight swap for a week in a 1200 sq ft manufactured home in a mobile home park in Santa Cruz a mile from he breaks for a week at Pono House?  What a deal, what a deal!

2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 11:18:04 AM »
SoCal has that issue of the Channel Islands wave shadowing. 
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016, 11:44:59 AM »
Waves. Sharktober has been windy and/or mostly small. There have been a few decent days for swell but mostly, it's just been a tease. And, the sea life has been noticeably present and active. There has been some great downwinding, especially (mostly) on the south shore due to persistent north in the trades. But the trades have also been the death knell of most of our swells.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal