Author Topic: Offshore (zero fetch) downwinder on Ace  (Read 2933 times)

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Offshore (zero fetch) downwinder on Ace
« on: October 27, 2016, 07:42:27 PM »
It's downwind season here in Toronto. We did an offshore downwinder to Toronto Island. In offshore winds, the bumps start off small then build gradually until they form nicely groomed consistent waves. They end up easy to catch as a result, although they're also quite closely spaced so you don't build up as much speed as you would on larger waves. You do a lot of gliding though!

For a route map and other details, see my downwind SUP blog http://supdownwind.blogspot.ca/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDWn7SYdF_g

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Offshore (zero fetch) downwinder on Ace
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 08:49:53 PM »
This is the second video I've seen where the paddler's sup has a dugout style for standing. I've got some observations from watching your footwork in the dugout space pertaining to my personal likes and dislikes from where I like to place my feet.

Thanks for sharing your video.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 02:17:35 AM »
Some fun bumps out there. Nice compilation. It's fascinating to watch that speed tracker against the video.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 02:37:43 AM »
Lucky you found a launch site high enough so you can be airlifted down into your dugout!
 ;)

Nice vid. What song is that?
;)

I see your gloves! That looks freezing!

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 05:04:15 AM »
Nice run. What was the distance downwind? I like how you switch back and forth between cams but I like the head cam best.

Those are similar to the zero fetch conditions we get on Great Bay in NH. Our usual downwind run is just under four miles. With winds over 25mph, things start to get hairy about half way across, often with knee deep troughs. Wicked fun.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 05:18:42 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 05:57:55 AM »
Some fun bumps out there. Nice compilation. It's fascinating to watch that speed tracker against the video.

The speedometer adds a bit of interest and I just find it interesting to track it. Helps keep even a flat water paddle more interesting when you have a real time readout on the water.

I use a Garmin Virb Elite action cam with built in GPS for the video. The latest model is $500 or so, but the older model I have is on sale at GPSCITY.com for about $90 in the US or gpscity.ca $120 in Canada. They probably will ship to OZ. It's dead easy to use the camera and software. I just bought a second gps enabled unit to have the speedometer on both the head mount and board mount cams.

Canada:

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 06:19:20 AM »
Argosi. Thanks for sharing! Great to see the start, and finish, and all the good stuff in-between on your Ace! I'm fascinated by all you cold weather gear too. That looks like a really fun run. Great to see you cataloguing all your downwind runs on your site too...http://supdownwind.blogspot.ca/.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 07:34:40 AM »
Nice run. What was the distance downwind? I like how you switch back and forth between cams but I like the head cam best.

Those are similar to the zero fetch conditions we get on Great Bay in NH. Our usual downwind run is just under four miles. With winds over 25mph, things start to get hairy about half way across, often with knee deep troughs. Wicked fun.

I think the downwind leg was about 4-5km. It was over quickly but it was fun.

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 10:10:25 AM »
Argosi. Thanks for sharing! Great to see the start, and finish, and all the good stuff in-between on your Ace! I'm fascinated by all you cold weather gear too. That looks like a really fun run. Great to see you cataloguing all your downwind runs on your site too...http://supdownwind.blogspot.ca/.

Thanks, and looking forward to seeing your Ace videos sometime too!

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 10:28:28 AM »
For those that were interested in my cold weather gear in the video, it's a Kokatat Goretex paddling suit. It' got built in feet (so your feet stay dry) and waterproof wrist seal. However the neck is a comfortable adjustable neoprene with an adjustable cinch (not waterproof). The material of the suit is lighter weight than Kokatat's traditional Goretex suits and breathes better as a result. It's great for when a thicker wetsuit would be too hot and restrictive. I wear booties over the suit and thick water wicking socks under the suit. Feet stay warm and dry. One great thing is that I put it on at home and take it off at home since it's comfy and breathes Still get sweaty underneath it when working hard though.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal