Author Topic: Microsoft Surface Studio  (Read 6034 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft Surface Studio
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2016, 09:35:59 PM »
If history holds sway, Microsoft will f&*k it all up. But it's not just them. the latest Apple iPhone update has me wanting to throw my phone out in the street. WTF--who is designing this shit?
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2016, 02:20:34 AM »
Years ago we did the most successful direct marketing campaign we ever executed for Microsoft BI. Response was amazing, but it was a magic trick--pure marketing. Truth was they didn't have a BI product--it was Excel and SQL Server. Insanity. Glad to hear they've changed.

Some of us weren't fooled!

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2016, 01:34:55 PM »
If history holds sway, Microsoft will f&*k it all up. But it's not just them. the latest Apple iPhone update has me wanting to throw my phone out in the street. WTF--who is designing this shit?

What we do is chose the option "not to update" on all our ios or osx devices.  Works a charm if you do not need the "latest and greatest" bs hype.  We have many devices very old in tech years - running completely outdated unsupported software.  Love them because all the bugs have been squashed long ago - and we never have any bs update issues. 

Used to go for every new one as an early adopter - and found I was doing all their beta testing and wasting my time.  Plus my data got damaged.  So for many years now - have opted not to choose the download and update option.  All those "free" updates are bs if you do not need or use them.  And I started back in dos and 123 days with macros.  Before the - you need this - bloat days.  Haha.   ;D
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2016, 04:17:11 PM »
Can anyone speak to how well the new Surface desktop will play with Apple devices and the whole Apple ecosystem. It might be tempting to switch from the old iMac, but with multiple Apple devices and iCloud storage, would this be a non-communicating mess for someone not techy?
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2016, 04:46:38 PM »
The hard part is that so many of the updates are very useful, one person's bloat is another's killer app. Not always easy to know until you know. I don't pine much for the DOS days and I'm continually amazed at what gets added to the feast.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2016, 06:02:42 PM »
I still have my Galaxy S4 which is on it's 3rd or 4th battery. It's almost 4 yrs old and still works great. The replacement batteries are $6. I have a 32gig micro SD card in it. I could put a 64gig card in it if I wanted. It runs all the current apps, and still takes good pictures. My wife and kids have Iphones that are a year old, because their batteries died or they kept running out of memory. Can't change the battery (I wasted $30. trying it myself.. phones toast) . Can't upgrade the memory. Samsung got wise to Apples game, and bought back all the Galaxy S5's from the dealers (which had a easily replaceable battery) when the S6 came out. The Galaxy S6 and S7's batteries sealed into the phone, like the Apples.
I plan on milking this S4 as long as replacement batteries are available.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2016, 06:44:53 PM »
I replace batteries in my iPhones as soon as they start aging. No big deal. Only problem with iPhone 6 is all the glue they put on the battery. You have to pry like hell to get it out the first time, but then I just put it back with double stick tape. Same with Tablets and laptops. Of course I do have all the right tools and I'm fairly good at miniature electronics. I've replaced the mini USB socket in GoPros with not much drama. that's a challenge, but I've done it. IPhones are fairly simple as long as you take your time and work carefully.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 06:55:12 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2016, 07:06:20 PM »
I bought the kit, but wanted my son to do it with me so he'd get a little electronic repair experience. He was to hold the screen at 80 deg. as to not put too much tension on the screen ribbon cable. He couldn't hold his 12 year old hands still and kept tweaking it to about 100 deg. Do to the adhesive you literally have to pry and peal the battery out of the phone. Hard not to damage anything with the force needed to get it out. Needless to say, the screen ribbon got pulled out. I got back together and everything worked except the screen. I reset the screen ribbon (twice) and got it to work, but the battery started getting super hot, and it wouldn't shut down. I quickly took it apart and disconnected the battery before it caught fire. That Iphone got recycled.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2016, 11:05:33 PM »
I've been swapping out batteries, replacing cracked screens, and replacing switches and sockets for everyone I know since the first iPhone. Oddly enough the new ones are actually easier than the early ones because of the way the screen attaches. Easier that is except for the glue. Some of the android phones I've tried to fix use nastier glue and are therefore almost impossible to fix. the Apple stuff is actually a kind of very sticky, very flexible tape

Yeah, people try to do it without disconnecting the screen--bad idea. It's intimidating because it's a lot of cables, screws and covers--on the six it's a big cover and four cables to pull the screen, but it's the best way. I use three pry tools to lift the battery--two plastic spuds and one metal bar about an inch wide for the heavy prying. If it wasn't for the glue it would be a two minute job. You also need to be careful not to damage the ribbon cable that runs under the battery. I use a soldering rework station which blows thermostatically controlled warm air to heat the back of the case to 140 degrees evenly. If the case is cold you'd never get it off without bending something.

The reason for not installing a replaceable battery is that it would greatly limit the form factor and the battery size. Makes perfect sense from a design and performance sense, and Lipo batteries "should" last for three years--but they don't.

Geeky stuff, but that's what I am.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2016, 02:08:05 AM »

Chan yells, "LOOK WHAT THEY DID!" at every software update, so I am used to that, but this last group of iOS updates had me joining the chorus.  What a load of non-intuitive crap.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2016, 07:51:15 AM »

Chan yells, "LOOK WHAT THEY DID!" at every software update, so I am used to that, but this last group of iOS updates had me joining the chorus.  What a load of non-intuitive crap.

The adjustment to the phone updates was easy compared to the mess they made of the watch. What idiot thought it was a good idea to have my chosen watch face change every time I accidentally swipe the face.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2016, 08:50:25 AM »
They have absolutely wandered away from caring about current owner usability and are trying to train some kind of future owner--in what, I have no idea. It takes a lot of random clicks and presses to simply dial the phone. Mail organization has reached a new level of stupid. Where is the email I was just looking at? Expect five minutes of searching before you find it again. Seriously, whoever is doing UI design needs to stop it--right now. If it's Johnny Ive then he needs to go back to hardware and stop fucking up a phone that used to be easy and intuitive to use.

I'm sure that somewhere in Apple some smug designer is justifying every stupid change, talking about things like the haptic future, and multi gesture, force coupled, total control. Inflict him on Microsoft or Oracle (it's got to be a he, women are just not usually that arrogant) and get back to the program. And find a core group of average users to test your changes. Not someone who swoons because a menu changes when you press harder--someone who just wants to use the damned phone.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2016, 08:57:31 AM »
The hard part is that so many of the updates are very useful, one person's bloat is another's killer app. Not always easy to know until you know. I don't pine much for the DOS days and I'm continually amazed at what gets added to the feast.

Yeah bob - I am running 10.5.8 and 10.8.5 on desktops and have the latest versions and Boot Camp on a couple of new laptops.  For ios - a couple old devices are on 7 and this Air2 on 9.  The thing to keep in mind is that when you update ios - you sometimes have to update osx as well.  Had that happen one time and had to buy another machine - so be careful.  Was ok since we needed quad7 hp to process vids.  But raw photo processing and libraries worked perfectly fine on our old c2d machines - even ps. 

The software update to ios 10 looks pretty useless.  And the quasi touch on the new mbp looks meh.  The 9 apps are nice and solid already - and most killer apps have been dev a while back.  Added a few scripts to Safari long ago - and at least that goes ok now.  But unless something really useful comes forward - most updates now look to be very incremental.  And can debilitate older low spec devices.  It is the Apple money making progress and ways.

But no doubt it is amazing how far the tech has come.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2016, 09:00:18 AM »
Maybe what's going on now is that the old Microsoft guys from the Ballmer days are now working for Apple and the old guys from the Jobs days are now at Microsoft  ::)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2016, 09:24:33 AM »
....and man, is the net lit up with hate for that touch bar.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal