Author Topic: Naish Makani Paddle Review - SNAP!!!  (Read 17932 times)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Naish Makani Paddle Review - SNAP!!!
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2016, 05:38:45 PM »
No doubt there are bs claims.  But if legit - the manufacturer should step up.  Another instance that cropped up recently was to do with a bubbling and delam issue under the deck pad.  Waiting for weeks for a non-response was unreasonable and poor customer service in that case as well. 

Only the op knows what happened to his blade.  For sure bogus bs claims do drive up costs.  But most will not come on to post with pics.  Easy to speculate - but it sounds like Naish is stepping up whether right or not.  Already there has been a fair amount of rep damage.  Naish should have responded sooner to avoid all this.  That should be the take-away.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

J-Bird

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2016, 05:52:39 PM »
Wow, surprised (but glad) Naish replaced it for you. I was leaning toward replacing my beat-up Gerry Lopez (which is a great board) with a new Naish.  Will do it for sure.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2016, 06:09:46 PM »
Glad this all worked out. Interestingly I was at our local SUP store yesterday looking at some adjustable Naish paddles and being a longtime Starboard and QB and more recently a Werner user, and never having had a paddle break on me, I am already hesitant to try new things...Then I saw this post and thought... wait a minute.... let's see how this plays out....

I hate to be swayed by social media... but this is the world we live in...

i find myself reconsidering that Naish adjustable now..
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2016, 06:29:48 PM »
Yes, last year I saw a Naish paddle in my local store at a bargain price that would be perfect for my wife. But after reading about Naish paddles snaps (shaft, not blade) around that time, I decided to give it a miss. I couldn't risk buying her something that might then end up putting her at risk. So these kind of stories in social media do have a direct effect upon purchasing behavior, I suspect. Certain brands seem to get themselves known for certain faults; for instance with Naish it seems to be paddle breaks (and paint chips), and with Fanatic it is paint blistering and similar paint woes. These kinds of reputations are easy to establish but hard to counter so it is odd that sometimes these kinds of narratives return over several years. You'd think that the brands would over-engineer in order to counter an issue that has gained traction in social media (whether fair or not).

John Doe

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2016, 09:13:13 AM »
John Doe - What's the name of the local shop that went the extra mile for you? Give them some props here.

California Kiteboarding out of Pismo Beach.  Hat's to them for helping.  I would buy from them again in a second.

That video is great, thanks for posting & it was smart for QB to make it.  However you can conclude a couple things from it.  #1 an impact will compromise the strength of the shaft.  But #2, look at how hard the guy had to hit the thing, and he did it several times, and how hard he had to jump on the thing to get it to break.  And he's hitting it on a solid piece of steel that has a hard edge on it.  He might as well have hit it with an axe.  Of course something's gonna break if it gets hit like that.

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2016, 10:31:25 AM »
JD, I’m glad you got your paddle replaced. The video is a demonstration how an impact that doesn’t break the shaft can compromise it strength. That’s all it is a demonstration. Over time impacts add up and so does the stress to the paddle. I sometime hit the back of my board when pivot turning or bracing when on a downwind. The impact is close to where your paddle snapped. Of course that’s just speculation, but that were you should focus on the damage, not on the edge of the blade.
NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2016, 11:12:04 AM »
I'm with TW...using social media to bludgeon a manufacturer does nothing but increase costs for everyone else. I'm not saying some don't deserve it and if deserved have at it...but I have a hard time believing it was a manufacturing defect that caused this. It's been a year since the paddle was bought and from the pictures despite comments to the contrary it looks like it was ridden hard and put away wet...kind of like mine do....how long is a manufacturer supposed to provide warrantee support to users? Even if JD does only paddle a couple times a month and takes the best possible care, Naish has no real way of knowing that. I'd be willing to bet that almost all warrantee claims start out with " I've never banged my paddle and only use it rarely but". Saying that they should just fold as soon as someone starts bad mouthing them on the web doesn't work for me....even though it may be the smarter business decision. I hate the idea of lowlifes getting their way because they kick and scream louder, all it does is encourage them to do it again and again and that drives up costs for all of us.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 11:27:12 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2016, 11:44:46 AM »

....how long is a manufacturer supposed to provide warrantee support to users? Even if JD does only paddle a couple times a month and takes the best possible care, Naish has no real way of knowing that.

You’re right, Naish had no way of knowing. They’re just being cool.

Carbon ski poles have been around for a lot longer than carbon paddle shafts. Have a little think about nicking opportunities in a skiing situation. Carbon ski poles aren’t $400, OK …. but still not anywhere cheap compared to low end stuff. Here’s the deal in that sport: you break you buy.

SD Surfer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2016, 12:44:46 PM »
John Doe - What's the name of the local shop that went the extra mile for you? Give them some props here.

California Kiteboarding out of Pismo Beach.  Hat's to them for helping.  I would buy from them again in a second.

That video is great, thanks for posting & it was smart for QB to make it.  However you can conclude a couple things from it.  #1 an impact will compromise the strength of the shaft.  But #2, look at how hard the guy had to hit the thing, and he did it several times, and how hard he had to jump on the thing to get it to break.  And he's hitting it on a solid piece of steel that has a hard edge on it.  He might as well have hit it with an axe.  Of course something's gonna break if it gets hit like that.

To get it to snap in a 3 minute video, yes.

But I think a much lighter hit, smaller nick could cause it to snap after XXX number of cycles of flexing and rebounding.

How many times does a paddle and shaft flex and return during an average session?

CF is incredibly strong against forces in directions it likes, surprisingly brittle against forces in directions it doesn't like.

I fell on my Kialoa Methane with it between me and my board the first time I surfed with it and put a nice little dent in the shaft 5-6" above my bottom hand. It was the first quality ($$$) paddle I'd bought and thought I was screwed, but so far so good.

Probably not how I would've handled it, but I'm glad it worked out for ya' OP.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2016, 12:51:16 PM »
The OP said it had been two or three weeks and he didn’t hear back from Naish. If he is correct on this then I think Naish should have contacted him sooner. At the very least contact him and say they are looking into it. But if they just left him hanging then that is uncalled for. I agree, you shouldn’t have to come on social media and complain. But paddles are expensive and if he just doesn’t hear anything, what else is he supposed to do?

And as far as warranties and how long companies should honour them. Look at companies like Costco and Kokatat. Very, very liberal with their return policies and they seem to do just fine. And yes, I am sure some take advantage. But it must be worth it to them to provide this type of service or they wouldn’t do it. So they must make more money by attracting business because of the reputation they have built up than they lose because of bogus return claims.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2016, 01:05:32 PM »
What would be "normal" is for Naish to offer another blade at cost if just over the warranty.  So choosing to replace without looking at the paddle is their choice and odd - as the paddle could have very well been abused.  What they should have done is responded right away and asked to inspect the paddle.  They did make a mistake there - no doubt.

JD has not really denied that he or someone caused a stress fracture.  So that may be the reason for the snap.  We have 5 paddles from 3 manufacturers and none are close to snapping anywhere.  Even the one with an old visible carbon stress fracture covered now with epoxy.  So this is a very odd situation - as blades do not just snap from "normal" wear and tear. 

Either or both - JD knows something or Naish knows something.  There are odd scuff marks down by the max shaft insertion point and right by the snap.  Maybe JD can elaborate to those calling him out.  surf and stone and others do have a point.  JD?
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

John Doe

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2016, 02:49:48 PM »
What would be "normal" is for Naish to offer another blade at cost if just over the warranty.  So choosing to replace without looking at the paddle is their choice and odd - as the paddle could have very well been abused.  What they should have done is responded right away and asked to inspect the paddle.  They did make a mistake there - no doubt.

JD has not really denied that he or someone caused a stress fracture.  So that may be the reason for the snap.  We have 5 paddles from 3 manufacturers and none are close to snapping anywhere.  Even the one with an old visible carbon stress fracture covered now with epoxy.  So this is a very odd situation - as blades do not just snap from "normal" wear and tear. 

Either or both - JD knows something or Naish knows something.  There are odd scuff marks down by the max shaft insertion point and right by the snap.  Maybe JD can elaborate to those calling him out.  surf and stone and others do have a point.  JD?

I haven't done anything to it that would have caused a stress fracture equivalent to what the guy does in the OB video - or anything near that. Just normal use.  It's never been slammed in a car door, hit into a metal plate or anything even close to that.  The dirt-smudge on the paddle shaft near the break (pictured below) is surf wax from the paddle laying on the board, not scuff marks.  I didn't wash the thing, hell I didn't even rinse it, after it broke.

First pic shows wax, second pic shows how clean it is.

I think you're right about Naish elaborating on their reasons as to why they would deny me could have made the sitch better.  You don't just tell someone, "Hey, you're SOL, have a nice day:)"  I'm paraphrasing of course but that's about what they said.  The OB guy is smart to make that vid, if they're seeing a lot of people having complaints.

The fact is that A. the paddle retails for about $329, B. i used it for about a year & it wasn't abused,  C. if you pay that much for a piece of gear it shouldn't just snap - even if some people (not me) throw it into the back of their truck from time to time.

As far as internet shaming.  Yes going online & bashing someone in order to get something is pretty much extortion, slander etc.  But when the company your criticizing knows who you are, has your name address & phone # (thus making you liable), & you tried to resolve it with them, & you feel you weren't treated right, then you have a right to share your experience.  This forum is "Gear Talk" it's not "Nice Gear Talk Only".

Go and google an older car's repairs.  You will find a pattern of the same parts failing in most of the same cars.  For example, early 2000 Subaru's all had problems with the head gasket & the CV boot.  There are a ton of info on this, ton of do-it-yourself vids on how to replace them, and we learn from it.  If it's an isolated incident, then you never hear of it again.

Have a great weekend.
JD

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2016, 05:20:46 PM »
it looks like it was ridden hard and put away wet

Not trying to hi-jack this thread, but I saw this comment and wondered about it. Is there a problem with putting a paddle away when it’s wet? I’m not being sarcastic, I have just never heard of this being a problem and can’t imagine why it would be???
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2016, 05:50:44 PM »
Figure of speech about horses not being tended to properly after being ridden
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2016, 05:55:46 PM »
O.K., thanks. Never heard that expression before and didn't make the connection. Thought I might be missing something.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal