Author Topic: Naish Makani Paddle Review - SNAP!!!  (Read 17949 times)

John Doe

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Naish Makani Paddle Review - SNAP!!!
« on: October 26, 2016, 04:15:37 PM »
I’m not associated with Naish or any other brand. I’m not in the industry.  I actually love Robby, have been a fan since 85’.  But this is &^%$shi*.

Paddling in open water, no contact with any object, just mid-stroke, SNAP.  The electrical tape is still on there & it’s scuff-free as you can see in the pics.  There are no abrasions or impact marks on the paddle.  I can only speculate that it's cheap-shitty-manufacturing.  Again this is just my humble opinion.

I do not use my gear often, in fact I baby it.  I maybe paddle 2x a month, sometimes more.  Will I buy another Naish Paddle?  No.  Will I buy another Naish SUP (I own a Hokua & love the thing)?  Probably not.  Do I feel screwed?  Yes.  They’re telling me if it’s over a year since purchase I’m SOL.  I can't remember if it is or not.  The shop owner is trying to help but Naish isn’t responding to me.

So BE WARNED of cheap crappy paddles that cost upwards of $300.  They may only good for a year.  The Naish warranty guy has seen these pics so he knows it's a real claim.

What’s the deal Robby?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 04:26:53 PM by John Doe »

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Naish Makani Paddle Review - SNAP!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 04:35:21 PM »
That’s to bad. Is always frustrating when expensive equipment breaks for no apparent reason. Really hope they come through for you. I’ve said before that sometimes shit happens, and sometimes things break for no apparent reason. If the company is generally associated with making good equipment, then I don’t blame them for a malfunction. As I said, it happens. I will however judge a company by how they respond when something does go wrong. Hopefully Naish listens to either you or the dealer and makes this right.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

John Doe

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 04:38:57 PM »
That's the thing, I wouldn't just complain if I hit a rock, or it was smashed or something.  But you can clearly see there are not abrasions on the thing & I've never abused it.

It's already been about 2-3 weeks & I haven't heard back from Naish.  The dealer tried to help so I won't name them.  But I don't have $200-300 laying around for another paddle, shits expensive enough as it is.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 04:43:46 PM by John Doe »

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 06:11:19 PM »
I have a couple of the previous year Makani paddles. They're my go to surf paddle for over two years now and haven't had any issues. You probably got the one bad egg. Or maybe you paddle too hard. How did you store the paddles? Standing tall or laying flat? Blade up or down?

Hope they take care of it.

John Doe

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 06:15:59 PM »
I have a couple of the previous year Makani paddles. They're my go to surf paddle for over two years now and haven't had any issues. You probably got the one bad egg. Or maybe you paddle too hard. How did you store the paddles? Standing tall or laying flat? Blade up or down?

Hope they take care of it.

Thanks.  Can't imagine I paddle too hard, I'm 5'7" 150# & a desk jocky, so I'm no Kai Lenny.  Stored laying flat on the board, board is in the bag so paddle is laying on cushioned part.  Probably a mix of blade up & blade down but always laying flat.

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 06:21:58 PM »
Well that break seems to be consistent with a paddle stored laying flat on a board. Even though you baby it, it's quite possible that some weight got on top of it to stress it. I believe it's the shaft of the paddle that's the strongest while the blade is more fragile. I usually store my paddles standing tall.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 06:44:09 PM »
That's a bummer. Hopefully, Naish will come through for you and rectify the situation.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

John Doe

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 07:00:45 PM »
Well that break seems to be consistent with a paddle stored laying flat on a board. Even though you baby it, it's quite possible that some weight got on top of it to stress it. I believe it's the shaft of the paddle that's the strongest while the blade is more fragile. I usually store my paddles standing tall.

Give me a break guy.  R U a Naish rep???  No weight got on top of it.  I have a rack that holds multiple boards.  Only weight that's on top of it is itself.  There's no friggen way that occasionally storing a paddle on a padded surface, with the blade matching the curve of the board, with nothing on top of it, would cause it to break.  I've stored it on end as well.  The thing was laying on a 1/4" pad, fully supported, never had any weight on it.

Nice try.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 07:03:10 PM by John Doe »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 08:19:34 PM »
Laying it flat won't cause a break like that. If it would then all my paddles would be toast. I beat the holy hell out of them, toss them in my truck bed, stuff them into a board bag and let luggage handlers abuse them. I've never had a blade break there. But this one makes two on this forum in two weeks--a Ke Nalu and a Naish. Maybe it's global warming?? I don't know what Lane did for the other guy with a broken blade, but my guess is he took care of him and did it quietly.

Possibly, if the break was in the frog (where the blade and handle join) then yes, you could stress it enough for that to break if you stacked stuff on it, but that's far enough up the throat so the stress is distributed, and well into the area of the blade that should flex some. So no, just laying it down with something on top of it won't do this.

Could be a deep scratch that you didn't notice, maybe your Uncle Festus slammed it in the car door, or dug some post holes and didn't tell you about it. Truth is, there's no way to say. It's a very odd place for a blade to break, and that's probably why Naish is dithering. They think you're screwing with them. They don't think you were paddling when it broke. They think you were playing hockey with it.

I wouldn't necessarily believe you either, but I'd offer you a replacement blade at cost even if the warranty was up. Easy for me to say, because I don't run a paddle company anymore, but that's what we did. But it was feasible because Ke Nalu paddles are modular. Naish has to replace the whole paddle, and if it's out of warranty, they aren't being dicks to say no. Especially for a break that they've never seen before and can't come up with any reason for other than abuse or a major league factory defect that should have shown up on the first stroke.

If I hadn't seen the Ke Nalu with the same break two weeks ago I probably wouldn't have responded. But this weird enough to get my attention.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 09:17:52 PM »
It looks more like you tried to beat someone that owed you money.  :o

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 09:24:23 PM »
Hopefully Naish helps you out a bit. Nash reimbursed me over 200 bucks for warranty work on my Glide, and didn't really have to.

I noticed a  small paint crack on one of the rails on my Glide when I unpackaged it in Idaho, and thought I could live with that. After paddling it multiple times over a few months, I started noticing more small cracks that were spidering on the rails and these spots were a bit soft. I never hit anything, so attributed it to shipping damage that I missed at the time or manufacturing defects. The board was still within the one year warranty window, but I think Naish was within their rights to turn down my warranty request given that I paddled the board a bunch and any number of things could have caused the damage. I just knew the spider cracks didn't seem normal, nor were the soft spots on these cracks and I explained it cordially to the supplier (Californiakiteboarding rocks) and provided some pics.

Long story short. The communication between the shop and Naish was timely, and I was reimbursed for the cost of the damage/defect repairs. I was impressed with the service from Naish, but a board and a paddle might have different warranty parameters given the difference in cost? Hopefully you get hooked up.

mik911

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 09:45:43 PM »
Sorry for the broken paddle.
I just don't see why more companies aren't more lenient with returns/warranties/replacements.  Realistically, how many customers are trying to 'screw' them, that they must hold strictly to their rule  of "X months warranty"?

Why does Costco succeed (or Nordstroms, or REI)? Cuz you can return anything, anytime, no questions asked.  That way, if a customer is debating on whether to buy something or not, they will buy it, knowing they can (but probably won't) return it.

Is Naish really going to go bankrupt if they send John Doe (no pun) a new paddle?

All I know is that after seeing this post, I will never buy a Naish paddle. I'm too old to jump through hoops.

Mike

Ron House Coastal Cruiser 12'6"
Hoe Nalu surf sup  10'6"
BARK 14' custom carbon SUP
Fanatic Fly Race 12'6" carbon SUP
BARK 14' prone custom paddleboard
BARK 12' prone Surftech paddleboard
Longboards: Harbour, Becker, Local Motion
Kneeboards: Cleary 5'10"
Handboard: Brownfish

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 09:53:19 PM »
We have seen a slight stress crack at the max insertion point in our old Riviera R8.5 blade that was raced hard.  Put some epoxy over it and in a split edge 4 years ago and the repairs are still holding strong.

Your snap is in a very odd location.  And it kinda looks like possibly a weak lamination of carbon and glass to snap so easily.  Would think that Naish would sell you another at cost to make you happy if just out of warranty.  Keep on them as a paddle should not just snap when paddling normally.

http://www.oceanaddicts.com.au/shop/stand-up-paddle/2016-naish-makani-sup-paddle/
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 10:38:11 PM »
Sorry for the broken paddle.
I just don't see why more companies aren't more lenient with returns/warranties/replacements.  Realistically, how many customers are trying to 'screw' them, that they must hold strictly to their rule  of "X months warranty"?

Why does Costco succeed (or Nordstroms, or REI)? Cuz you can return anything, anytime, no questions asked.  That way, if a customer is debating on whether to buy something or not, they will buy it, knowing they can (but probably won't) return it.

Is Naish really going to go bankrupt if they send John Doe (no pun) a new paddle?

All I know is that after seeing this post, I will never buy a Naish paddle. I'm too old to jump through hoops.

I agree. Look at it this way:  An infinitesimal portion of the general population comprises the SUP gear buying population. Of those, JD here has made the Naish choice... from among all its competitors.  Naish should not be dicking around whether purchased greater than a year ago or not. 

I'm also a Naish fan... currently own one Naish board (had two others) and two Naish paddles.  AND I've personally had great customer service from Nitsan and Derrick on Maui and from MJ in White Salmon.   
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2016, 01:07:05 AM »
No I'm not a Naish rep John Doe. Chill out newbie. Your first post in the forum is an angry rant. A polite introduction would be nice. Yes some of these brands have crappy customer service and it's frustrating.

I have had equipment from many other brands such as Quickblade, C4, Starboard, Fanatic, Bark, NSP, 404, Coreban, PSH, Focus. But like I said I have two of the older Naish Makani paddles and they've survived many beatings in rocky surf spots for the last 3 years. None broken so far and I have 8 paddles in my quiver.

I merely suggested that at some point some heavy amount of weight may have been accidentally dropped on the paddle laying flat that caused a fracture that eventually broke it. Unless you sleep with your paddle you really don't know what they do when you're not around. Or after paddle sessions dropping the paddle in an awkward way may cause a micro hairline crack.

Give me a break guy.  R U a Naish rep???  No weight got on top of it.  I have a rack that holds multiple boards.  Only weight that's on top of it is itself.  There's no friggen way that occasionally storing a paddle on a padded surface, with the blade matching the curve of the board, with nothing on top of it, would cause it to break.  I've stored it on end as well.  The thing was laying on a 1/4" pad, fully supported, never had any weight on it.

Nice try.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal