Author Topic: Leash Sizing?  (Read 8269 times)

Stew

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Leash Sizing?
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2016, 11:26:29 AM »
So, where do leashes break?  I've always assumed  that the weakest point is the swivels (metal + salt-water).  But from the discussion here, I guess the plastic can fail?

Had one the other weekend where the velcro on a friends leash tore straight through on the cuff. Not what I would have expected to happen!

Stew

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2016, 11:27:46 AM »
What about the whole coiled V not coiled leash in surf? I'm told that coiled is bad as you can get the board springing back at you. Really that bad or have thoughts moved on?

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2016, 11:39:41 AM »
Coiled leashes in surf are bad. Always were, always will be.

The exception is if you are just mucking about in tiny waves, or you are surfing in the context of a technical race like the PPG for instance.

But, generally, on a surf SUP, in surf, coiled is a no-go.

clinto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2016, 11:50:20 AM »
I was always under the impression that the leash on any board you are surfing with needs to be longer than the board. The thought being that if you pearl or get thrown over the front you can clear the board and not land on it funny. Also, in my experience, leashes always get longer with age.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2016, 04:03:23 PM »
What about the whole coiled V not coiled leash in surf? I'm told that coiled is bad as you can get the board springing back at you. Really that bad or have thoughts moved on?

The coil is way too weak to spring the board back at you. The reason they suck in the surf is that you end up stepping on them all the time and they get tangled easily.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2016, 11:20:45 AM »
Thanks to everyone who chimed in with some feedback. Based on the responses, I've concluded that it really is more of a person preference when it comes to length. I think I'm just going to do some experimenting with my 11'5 leash before committing to something.
I did find a sweet deal on a 10' coiled leash that's similar to some of the "racing" 5.5-6mm leashes from the Big brands. My only concern is that I noticed where it attaches to the board, there's no swivel nor a rail saver. Considering this leash is going on a board designed for flatwater and downbreezing, does one even need a swivel and rail saver?

https://www.amazon.com/BPS-STORM-ULTRALITE-COILED-Leash/dp/B01G16UBE6/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1477765552&sr=8-13-spons&keywords=bps+leash&psc=1
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 11:28:31 AM by 2Rivers »
King's Type-S 14' | Soul Firestorm 8'9
ZRE Power Surge ZX4 80sq" | Kialoa Big Eddy
Larry Allison Dolphin Keel

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2016, 04:38:40 PM »
For basic flatwater and DB - you really do not need much.  As noted I cut down a FCS because it was way too long.  Is that recommended or optimal - no.  But for docile conditions as a spare - it has been fine.  So yeah - just use what you have and experiment a bit.  The cost is very nominal anyways.  All of ours have swivels and railsavers.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal