Author Topic: Design, Build, Produce a new SUP/Paddleboard  (Read 2589 times)

krash

• Rincon Status
  • Old fugger who loves to fish
    • View Profile
Design, Build, Produce a new SUP/Paddleboard
« on: October 26, 2016, 07:57:49 AM »
I have no real idea, looking for advice and/or suggestions.

Theory... if a person has what they think is a good idea and shape for specific purpose SUP/Paddleboard that fits a small percentage of the overall market, how could a person with very limited funds get a board to market ?

Things I'm interested in are a reproducible shape, rugged shell, light sub 40 pounds, 11' to 14' x 30" perhaps 5" to 6" thickness, volume to 350-400 pounds.

What are the different process ?
Old fugger who just likes to fish

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Design, Build, Produce a new SUP/Paddleboard
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 08:08:40 AM »
Sorry to be so negative but curious as to why you think someone with little knowledge of the processes required to do that can do better than others already in the business....and there are already boards that exist in that realm. I can understand the idea of building your own board but bringing something to market to compete in an already flooded market without industry ties and knowledge sounds doomed to fail....especially with limited funds. If you are an expert in lightweight composite construction or plastic molding in another industry maybe...outside of that I think I'd look at other ways to burn money.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 09:16:16 AM »
If it were me, I'd start by building just one. Then sell it.

If that works, make a few more and see how those sell.

If it turns out to be a viable product, then think about increasing production.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 09:34:45 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 09:44:19 AM »
Believe it or not,  there is a lot of labor that goes into a board. So much so, that there is little room for profit. You could  install laminate flooring and base boards throughout a house in the same amount of time you'd spend finish shaping (post CNC ) , seal prep, laminate, sand, hot coat , sand, install fin boxes - handel & leash plugs, paint, install deck pad, market, ship, handle , customer service issues,  etc.
With the flooring and base boards you'd have made maybe $3k. The board $200. Most of the successful SUP companies had a good amount of money to start with.  Some smaller ones succeed on their hard work, expert knowledge and experience  in the board building business. I know how to make my own boards and do. At best it's a fun hobby. Just enjoy paddling.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 09:55:15 AM »
I can tell you the secret of how to make one million dollars building SUP's ;D (scroll down for the answer)

Start will two million. 😭

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 10:03:20 AM »
What TD said...but if you decide to go ahead and build one...start here with TD's how to Shape3D thread.
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,27553.0.html
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 10:10:48 AM »
I have no real idea, looking for advice and/or suggestions.

Theory... if a person has what they think is a good idea and shape for specific purpose SUP/Paddleboard that fits a small percentage of the overall market, how could a person with very limited funds get a board to market ?

Things I'm interested in are a reproducible shape, rugged shell, light sub 40 pounds, 11' to 14' x 30" perhaps 5" to 6" thickness, volume to 350-400 pounds.

What are the different process ?

I did a double take on the date just to check we suddenly weren't April 1st and I'd missed a whole season of powder!!!

Errrr... "light sub 40 pounds". 'Nuf sed?

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 10:17:09 AM »
Krash, it seems you might be looking to build the ultimate fishing platform.  Maybe focus on the details that are most important to that genre.  But be warned, but you probably already know, there already exists a niche in that market, as exemplified by the offerings at Surf Expo last month.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 03:26:58 PM »
Everybody I know in the biz except Jimmy Lewis--who I think would be the first to admit that he had one of those "right place, right time" moments that hit with about the same frequency as being hit by lightning when you won the lottery--call the board building business "faking a living." It's one of those things you do because you just have to.

If that's your motivation--not money--then yes, start out by learning shape 3D, and TDs tutorials are as good as I've seen--except for the real basics of cad, which you can master with any of hundreds of videos and demos on the web.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 06:02:37 PM »
Get into the shape shack and Swaylocks and build a few ugly ones and paddle 'em and edit and redesign. It's fun but not easy and far from profitable in small numbers. My first board would have cost $15,000 retail at my billing rate at my day job.

krash

• Rincon Status
  • Old fugger who loves to fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 07:31:05 AM »
Several good points.. But still not discouraged.
Yes I am thinking of a fishing platform, somewhere near a downwind or touring shape but more of a v displacement hull... Likely not epoxy over foam blank for durability... Perhaps thermoforming or bounce material.

Not trying to put any of you out of biz or compete wit you so don,t get ruffled. Not a shaper and there are no sup shapers I know of here in south florida... Perhaps a couple left up the coast for small surfboards but I,m not in that crowd.
Maybe a foam balmy cnc shaped with gel coat over Kevlar/carbon wrap if the weight can be held below 40 pounds.
If the shape takes off maybe even a root molded option to bring cost down.

So bring on some more ideas... What's it cost to tool up to build something like above, or how does one approach a builder to build it

Sory for delay response, read the post last week and wanted to let it ride while I,m on vacation.. Currently in San Diego for a few days, back to la. Friday and stuck on this ipad which I don,t like to type on...
Old fugger who just likes to fish

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal