Author Topic: iSUP Storage Issue  (Read 3378 times)

LeeBee

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
iSUP Storage Issue
« on: October 26, 2016, 06:52:25 AM »
A while back i posted about storing my iSUP inflated vs. rolling it up. I kept the board at 2-3 psig to where it held its shape enough to put it sideways on a pair of wall racks. Over the course of the past 6 months of doing this I now notice the rocker of the board has increased a bit. In hindsight I think because the top of the board with the deck pad is stiffer there is a tendency of the bottom to stretch a bit more than the top creating the rocker. I wonder if rolling up the board with the deck to the outside of the spiral might reverse this over time. At least it should reduce the tendency for the bottom to stretch more than the deck. I would appreciate your thoughts on this and to learn from my experience. Thanks
2019 Mistral Stealth 17' 6" x 24"
2019 Mistral Interceptor 17' 6" x 24"
2017 NSP Ninja 14' x 25"
2016 JP Australia All-Around 11' 8" x 31"
Stellar S16S surf ski
Kai Barton ARES OC-1 outrigger canoe

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
Re: iSUP Storage Issue
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 07:00:42 AM »
How long has it been re-inflated from the storage pressure?
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 08:39:37 AM »
Unfortunately, the answer is no.  Once twist or warp starts, it's not going to get better.  I was in the same situation when my iSup developed twist.  When the bonding glues starts to shrink or fail, bad things happen like warps, twists, seams splitting and delamination.  Yes, the material can stretch and/or shrink, but it's usually the glue that starts bad things happening.  With my board, it took me a long time to realize that only thing giving the iSup any longitudinal structure, i.e. rocker and shape, is the banding rail that circles the board.  Mine, it turns out, was put on crooked, one side lower in the tail area then the other, and over time, started to twist.  In your case, the rail band is tightening and causing more rocker.  My board was quickly warrantied, but in your case, I'm not sure if that's even an option.  You can live with it or move on; I'm in the latter camp.

LeeBee

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 09:19:05 AM »
Julian,
We inflated to the normal 15 psig it prior to use, which is when I noticed the issue. We paddled for a couple of hour, then deflated it and rolled it back up the "normal" way with the bottom on the inside of the spiral. It's one of the reasons while I'll never buy another 14 ft. iSUP, as I do not have any space issues and for me, hard boards paddle better, especially when the wind blows. Lesson learned.

baddog,
I think you are dead on as to the glue being the problem. Without the extra stiffening on the rails like the Red Paddle Elite or Starboard Race models, a 14 ft. board is going to be more suspect to such things than a shorter iSUP.
2017 NSP Ninja 14' x 25"
Stellar S16S surf ski

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 09:56:46 AM »
Hi LeeBee - yes you should be able to roll it the opposite way to counter the change.  Or just leave it inflated and it will eventually come back - even quicker in warm temperatures. I coined the term "dynamic rocker" for this effect, and would roll up my ULI race boards a couple days before an even depending whether we were expecting flat or rough water conditions.
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 03:23:11 PM »
Hi LeeBee - yes you should be able to roll it the opposite way to counter the change.  Or just leave it inflated and it will eventually come back - even quicker in warm temperatures. I coined the term "dynamic rocker" for this effect, and would roll up my ULI race boards a couple days before an even depending whether we were expecting flat or rough water conditions.

Wow, I hope this works for LeeBee.  Still not a ringing endorsement for iSup construction.

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 07:17:23 AM »
I've never had any boards that come out of storage with different rockers but from the factory, after months of being rolled up, it can take several days (or several inflations) at full pressure to get the creases and wrinkles out. Less so now with the MSL Fusion, but it still takes a little time.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

LeeBee

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 10:03:36 AM »
Gents,
Most of you have it backwards. The board was almost never rolled up, rather it was inflated at low (2-3 psig) pressure and stored on a wall on it's side on a pair of racks.
The rocker increased (modestly) while in this mode over the summer/fall. The garage does not get very hot, no more than 80 F. on a warm sunny day. My assumption was the bottom being less reinforced (no deck pad) stretched, more than the top. The idea of the glue on the rails contributing makes a lot of sense to me. Almost all adhesives are a "glassy" structure, not crystalline, and over time forces could allow it to cold flow. (I'm a chemical engineer.)
Again I suspect the length of the board and the non-reinforced rails may have contributed as well.
2017 NSP Ninja 14' x 25"
Stellar S16S surf ski

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal