Author Topic: Touring / Recreational Race Board  (Read 5488 times)

beenfree

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Touring / Recreational Race Board
« on: October 25, 2016, 09:01:15 AM »
Hey everyone,

New to the forum. Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm an intermediate paddler. I started this year, and have spent about 40 hours on the water. I have a Red 10' 6" WindSUP board that I've so far only used for SUP (wind is next year).

The Red is great for cruising around, sometimes with a kid on the front. It's very capable for its design, but I'm now looking for a new board.

Me:
  • Intermediate paddler
  • 5'11", 150 lbs
  • Have garage storage
  • Walk with my board 100 yd to the water

My paddling:
  • Portland, Maine, USA
  • Casco Bay - flat water, light chop, wind
  • I want to go 3-5 miles fast for fitness workouts

Board thoughts:
  • I'm open to hard and inflatable boards
  • Probably 12'6 or 14' length, I'm leaning 14'
  • D rings and a bungee to secure gear is a nice to have
  • I would like to spend $2k or less

Possibilities I've considered:
  • Red 12'6 Race
  • Red 13'2 Explorer
  • Red 14' Race
  • Amundson 14' TR-X or TR-T
  • Amundson 12'6 TR 27
  • Starboard All Star 14' x 28"
  • Starboard Touring 14' x 30"
  • Bic 14' x 28" C-TEC TRACER
  • Bic 14' x 26" C-TEC TRACER WS
  • SIC X 14.0

Any suggestions and feedback greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
Re: Touring / Recreational Race Board
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 09:32:25 AM »
Beenfree. Welcome to the zone! My first board was a RedPaddle 10-6 too and I used to paddle 5mile / 8 kms a day on it along coastal routes. I then progressed to a Starboard Coast Runner 14' which I think was 28" wide and was an awesome all round coastal cruising board and was just so much faster I started doubling the distances I paddled. I am so pleased I went to 14' straight away, and over the years the only 12-6s I've owned are Race boards because that happened to be the biggest class of race board when we started the race leagues here (as 14' do not fit in most Hong Kong lifts).

With your weight, you could probably get away with a 12-6, but if you are strong and don't mind the extra weight to carry around (especially when windy), then go for the 14'. I don't know the BICs or Admundsons but if I were to choose from the list you have, I'd lean towards performance more than touring if speed is important to you. That means the All Star over the Touring. In terms of the inflatables, the 14' Race is 26" wide and I like it a lot, but it is WAY MORE tippy than the 28" All Star I have. The 13.2 Explorer is apparently a great board, but I have never tried it, and will be more stable than the Red Race 14.

If you do get keen and want the option to have something that will race, then I'd recommend the SIC FX14 which is more of an all round board than the flat water X14.

Regarding iSUP vs hard boards, I have both, and store them 100 - 200' (35m - 75m) from the water depending on tides and keep the inflatables inflated along with the hard boards. If you are not going to travel with the board then I'd recommend getting a hard board and ensure you protect with Rail Tape. The only disadvantage with hard boards is the dings you get in them which unless you are handy in repairs you need to find someone local who will repair them. Inflatables bounce...

Whatever you do, always try before you buy if you can. There are some great deals on 2016 boards around as the new 2017 ranges launch, or even rarely used 2nd hand ones from previous years.

One last thing. Remember to leave some $$ for the best paddle you can buy. I still have the first proper carbon paddled I bought (a Starboard Enduro) and although almost 4 years old, I still use it for downwinding as it is just a great reliable and light paddle. A good paddle is the best investment you'll make in your SUP journey.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 09:39:41 AM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 09:39:41 AM »
SIC X14 gets my vote. But the SCC one is the one you want and that is probably a budget-buster? It's ostensibly a flat water board, but actually it can handle rougher waters than some so-called all-rounders.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 10:42:12 AM »
The Amundson TRT is simply too big for what you want to do unless you plan on expeditions hauling a lot of gear. The 14 TRX is one of the most underrated boards out there (pretty much zero advertising) and fits the bill for a fast tourer that can be raced in all conditions. Very well rounded board. Tie downs up front and it's quite light. Trying it would be important to see if you like it size wise, but I know a lot of people of varying body sizes to well over 200, to under 200 pounds really like the TRX 14, so arranging a demo for it would be optimal. Could feel a bit floaty, but Having a demo is always your best bet regardless. The SIC X14 is good for what you describe as well, but the Amundson TRX 14 is a better board when conditions get heavier imo.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 10:45:48 AM »
For flat light chop wind and fast fitness workouts - these touring recreational race boards will do the job.

Amundson 14 TR-X
All Star 14x28 - 2015
SIC X14.0

For rougher water or if more stability is needed then go for -

Amundson 14 TR-T
SB Touring 14x30 pintail - 2014
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Remickulous

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 01:15:45 PM »
Welcome to the zone! I'm new also, but I just got back from the Pacific Paddle Games where I demo'd a bunch of boards, and I just bought a used SB 12'6"x30 touring board. Here's my $.02

I have almost 100lbs on you, and the Allstar 14x28 was the most stable race board I've ridden so far. I tested it on two separate days in very different conditions - in flat-ish water, through surf, and lots of cross chop. I bet you think you need that extra width for stability, but you will be amazed at just how much secondary stability the Allstar has. I don't think it qualifies as a recreational race board, and certainly not a touring board, it's a thoroughbred race board built for speed in all water conditions, and it delivers in spades.

I tried the SIC X14 and FX14, but I didn't like the flat rocker in choppy conditions & surf at the demo site of PPG. Where I paddle every day in Birch Bay WA, the water is anywhere from flat to 3ft chop on high wind days, most days it's around 1ft wind driven chop. A flat water board handles it OK, but just doesn't handle the wind & chop as well as a board with a little rocker. If your paddle grounds are Casco Bay, you are even more exposed than I am, and the water is anything but flat on average.

I was pretty intimidated by race boards, but I have to say it surprised me how quickly I learned to not be thrown by the initial instability of a race board compared to a universal shape. They just feel tippy right off the bat! Boards like the allstar have shaped bottoms that give it SOLID secondary stability. What this means for me is that it wobbles a little, but if I put it on an edge it will just stop rolling & become stable at an angle so I can recover quickly and easily even if I'm struggling.

The 2012 SB 12'6"x30 I have is an earlier version of their touring board that has a racing heritage. I now paddle it exclusively, and I've had it out in some crazy (for my experience) water & wind so far, and I love that board. It's not really a good length for racing, and I'd like to have the speed of the Allstar for daily use, so I'm hoping to buy a new 14x28 Allstar in the hybrid build next year for local racing and my daily paddle.

It might take you a few minutes to get used to the feel of a race board, but believe me when I tell you it doesn't take long, and you'll never want to go back :-)  Good Luck!!!

Custom 16' x 33" x 6", 51.6lbs, all the litres
Starboard Coast Runner (2012) 14' x 28", 38.8lbs 293L
Surftech Universal Blacktip, 11'6" x 32" x 5", 32.8lbs 238L
48yo, 215lbs, 70", Bellingham, WA

Love is never wasted

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 01:34:09 PM »
My input on the Red Paddle Co boards. I would lean towards the 13'2" Explorer+ for your planned paddling. Neither the 12'6" nor 14' Race (in 2017 form) have bungee tie downs and are narrower at 28". 2016 12'6" Race has d-rings but no bungee.

2016 boards are on sale now, 15% off, 2017 boards are here too: https://greenwatersports.com/shop/brand/red-paddle-co

That said, with your storage options and proximity to water, you may want to have a hard board now and make the most of your fitness paddling. I know the All Stars have had great reviews.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

tbsurf

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 02:09:27 PM »
I have last year's 14' TR-X which I use for ocean paddling in light chop and and varying amounts of swell.  I am very happy with it, and would get the same board again.  It is very light, and catches glides on all sorts of bumps.  I am about the same height and weight as you.  I had an AllStar before that (12'6 x 26.5) which was fast when you were going hard, but otherwise felt pretty unstable. I would not even want to turn back to check to see if the fin had caught kelp, because it was easy to lose your balance and fall.  The Amundson is more stable and a better experience.

LeeBee

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 06:17:59 PM »
I would suggest the 12'6" x 27 Amundson. I had a 14 TR-X with was very nice but I think too big (I weight 195 lbs.) It is very well built, and will handle some wind and chop nicely.  Currently  pricing is about $1500 and while not quite as fast as the higher end race boards would seem like a nice fit for your needs.
2019 Mistral Stealth 17' 6" x 24"
2019 Mistral Interceptor 17' 6" x 24"
2017 NSP Ninja 14' x 25"
2016 JP Australia All-Around 11' 8" x 31"
Stellar S16S surf ski
Kai Barton ARES OC-1 outrigger canoe

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 07:12:36 PM »
I like the look of the Bic tracers. Bic usually has well-thought out, well-balanced shapes.
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

beenfree

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 07:16:09 AM »
Thanks everyone for your input - this seems like a great community! I'll demo a few of your recommendations (those that I can locally) in the coming weeks and let you know what happens. I'm really excited to get on a faster board and cover some distance.

beenfree

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 02:00:04 PM »
Hey everyone,

I thought I'd post a follow up and let you know what I did.

I ended up getting a 2016 Amundson 12'6" TR-27 and a Quickblade Kanaha AC 90 paddle for slightly less than $1400 total. I've had it out twice so far, both times in moderate wind (12-15 kts) and chop (1'). Thoughts:
  • It's way faster than the Red 10-6, probably twice as fast
  • It makes going into moderate wind possible
  • It's way tippier than the Red; the Red comparatively feels like a barge for a 150 pounder (a very good barge)
  • The TR's displacement hull and added length is quite a bit more difficult to turn
  • The Quickblade Kanaha is a great paddle - much better than my Accent MAX Carbon paddle (which is pretty solid)

Overall, I'm psyched to get a performance rig for a solid price, and I'm happily keeping the Red for family outings and WindSUP. Thanks everyone for your help!

LeeBee

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2016, 04:14:01 PM »
I think you will be happy with the choice, I had good service from the 14 TR-X. When your budget has recovered, consider a better fin. The stock one if similar to the 9" one on my TR-X was not great re. stability nor did it turn all that well. Look at something like the Gladiator Hybrid which will aid stability a lot. On turning, you have to learn to move back a bit to get the nose out of the water. If the 12'6" hull shape is similar to the 14' foot steering will help a lot going upwind in a chop. Enjoy.
2019 Mistral Stealth 17' 6" x 24"
2019 Mistral Interceptor 17' 6" x 24"
2017 NSP Ninja 14' x 25"
2016 JP Australia All-Around 11' 8" x 31"
Stellar S16S surf ski
Kai Barton ARES OC-1 outrigger canoe

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2016, 09:31:17 PM »
Overall, I'm psyched to get a performance rig for a solid price, and I'm happily keeping the Red for family outings and WindSUP. Thanks everyone for your help!

The Amundson 27 is actually a very nice solid board.  You will be happy with that one.  Quite a nice smooth ride when we paddled one for a test demo.  Kinda has a feel similar to our Dom but a bit more dampened.  Felt more solid for sure.

http://www.amundsonsup.com/product/126-tr-27
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

beenfree

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 06:28:58 PM »
When your budget has recovered, consider a better fin. The stock one if similar to the 9" one on my TR-X was not great re. stability nor did it turn all that well. Look at something like the Gladiator Hybrid which will aid stability a lot.

Thanks for the recommendation LeeBee! I received the Gladiator Hybrid fin today, put it on my Amundson and paddled for 3 1/2 miles. The fin's stability, tracking and turning puts the stock fin to shame. It's a radical improvement. A totally different board.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal