Author Topic: 2017 Ace in the House - Questions on railtape and Velocitek Makai positioning  (Read 6651 times)

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
Have Fun with it, I'm sure you'll love it.

We've been BOP training on Aces lately   :D

Chris, that looks awesome fun, and I only wish I was still in Australia with you guys (with my Ace) to join you.

Wow. that looks like you need to climb on like a surfski to get rolling. I understand the value of footwells, lots of speed advantage. How does that drain? Holes or a ducted scupper?

I hope not.. as I am absolutely shite at getting back in a surfski, in anything but flat conditions. The drain holes are impressive. Two at the back and two at the sides... but when I paddled it today what water appeared as I got in, disappeared very quickly when I started paddling and did not seem to come back in.

Nice board choice too. Several of the crew have then and love them so far!!
Very, very capable 1 board solution.

After my brief 2km paddle today, I'm not disappointed in the least. I purposely got the 27" wide one although I'm generally good down to 25" on other boards, because I do want this board to be one I keep for a long time and not have to fight like I used to on my Think XO 14. It will be my every day go to board which will be paddled in all conditions. I'll get it out downwinding too, but being so thick, it will limit the number of other boards we can get on our boat, and so the downwinders I do on this are likely to be ones where we don't use a boat
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 03:58:32 AM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

VMG Chris

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Just make sure you reach across and weight the opposite rail when you climb back on.

It would be a shame to not use it for as many DW as you can.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Just make sure you reach across and weight the opposite rail when you climb back on.

It would be a shame to not use it for as many DW as you can.

Thanks Chris. It felt amazing today. I managed to easily catch a couple of wakeboard wakes and the speed just shot up effortlessly. I'm also amazed how far FORWARD the fin box is compared to a normal board. I'm using the stock one first to get a feel of the board, then will swap it out for a VMG fin after I've done a couple of downwinders... Can't wait!  :)
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Have Fun with it, I'm sure you'll love it.

We've been BOP training on Aces lately   :D

That picture says it all! Those that dare move on their board, and those that don't.

VMG Chris

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
LOL..All its saying is we're having a great time, and an Ace is versatile.

Same day different wave.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
So here is the finished RSPro protection on the ACE. I ended up adding another strip to each top rail so the total length of RS Pro tape was 55-3/4" or 1417mm to each side. This left me with about 47" / 1190mm of RSPro Rail tape left from the 2nd box to be used elsewhere (see bottom pic). Now only the Makai mount to figure out. Wind is forecast for the weekend...  :)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 04:02:26 AM by Off-Shore »

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
So after paddling the Ace 3 times, I started to see black scuff marks on the deck from hitting it with my paddle blade. You do this a lot to start off with, because of not being used to the raised deck in front of the sunken standing position. So yesterday I added RSPro Edge Saver to my Quickblade V-Drive. First time I've added this to any of my paddles, but it went on very easily. I normally use this paddle for racing as it is 1" / 25mm shorter than my standard training paddle (a Quickblade Trifecta). I find my shorter V-Drive paddle more comfortable for the Ace because of the lower standing position to the water compared to the SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC and RedPaddle 14 x 26" Elite iSUP I paddle regularly (and less likely to hit the Ace deck).

I also tried out a position for the Velocitek Maki right up at the front of the board. The position was partly due to not wanting in a sort of ridiculous way to cover up the Starboard logo... I mean.. really... BUT....

I was sceptical that I would be able to see it up so far forward, but actually it is fine, and allows you to keep your eye on the horizon and only quickly glance down to check speed. Some of you will know I paddle in my prescription specs, and these are progressives (so lower half for reading and upper half for long distance), and so having it further out helps me clearly be able to see the display... Which is okay as long as it is not water covered.. ;) Ideally Starboard would make a nice recess in the nose here (with a removeable cover) to fit the Makai flush to the board deck, so it would not interfere with the boofing.. / flow of water over the nose...  ;D

I could not find an adhesive tether mount, so I just used a piece of cord to tie this to the front leash point. Not pretty, but for the time being this will stop me losing the Makai by a random paddle tap.

One more thing about this Makai.. It really does help perfect paddling stroke / speed. I have found out surprisingly that I am almost 0.3 kph / 0.1mph faster paddling on my right than my left, and also when I use more core as opposed to not, so I'm very happy with this as a training aid to iron out these imperfections and improve speed.

One more thing that I am really pleased about is when I sold my 2012 SB Coast Runner 14' last year, the guy I sold it too did not want the board bag, and so it was put in storage, and I got it out over the weekend and it fits the 2017 Ace perfectly. Can be zipped up with the fin inside the bag too. So major score there.  :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 05:14:25 PM by Off-Shore »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal