Author Topic: Hobie down Downwinder  (Read 4524 times)

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
Hobie down Downwinder
« on: October 25, 2016, 06:58:01 AM »
DJ's thread  "Windsurfer down downwinder," reminded me of last summer, when I came across a father and son sitting atop their turned turtle Hobie 16 about 6km / 4 miles off-shore near one of the unhinhabited islands here. I used to own a Hobie and sailed these waters many times but could not for the life of me remember how to re-right a turned turtle Hobie. Clearly this is difficult with the marginal combined weight of a person and a child, and near impossible with one person. The issue was if they had stayed on the upturned boat, it is unlikely they would have been rescued until they drifted into the shipping channel, and although they may have been spotted by the marine police or the container ships, this is not a given...

Anyhow after a few tries we got the Hobie back up and on its way again.. straight back to shore. If assisting another at sea does not endanger our own life, we must always render assistance.

https://youtu.be/yALdFiS7vwI
Music: There's An Ocean - Strangefinger @2009
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 07:45:35 AM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hobie down Downwinder
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 08:46:21 AM »
And a rare recording of Strangefinger live.. plus some screen grabs

https://youtu.be/FR0ouMD2oZY
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 09:10:14 AM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 11:55:15 AM »
Looks like those two in the Hobie were lucky enough to have you come by. Nice job on helping them right the upside down Hobie. BTW, nice looking SIC downwind sup you have.

Thanks for sharing your video.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 01:18:59 PM »
off-shore bump patrol to the rescue. The only thing missing is a cape ;D cool vid.
in progress...

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 01:34:01 PM »
"And that, kids, is how it's done." Good job, OS.
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 06:30:47 PM »
Nice work there OS..   8).  Yet another rescue SUPer hero..  (Sorry, couldn't help myself.. ;D)
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 08:33:44 PM »
You are a good man Off-Shore 👍
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 09:33:40 PM »
Nice work!  You and DJ are truly SUP Ambassadors.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 10:43:28 PM »
Looks like those two in the Hobie were lucky enough to have you come by. Nice job on helping them right the upside down Hobie. BTW, nice looking SIC downwind sup you have.

Thanks for sharing your video.

Don't you wonder what they were doing out so far when they can't right their capsised cat by themselves??? It's sort of the kind of thing that seem obvious to think about. Pure hardcore Darwinism at work I figure.

It's pretty funny. Far out and in festive conditions on SUP we tend to get craft approaching us asking if we need help [which is cool and I always thank them for their concern]. Yet, in the end it’s us who tend help others out every once in a while. I’ve helped kiters, windsurfers and capsized cats

supthecreek

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 05:00:08 AM »
Nice vid Offshore!

Good thing you knew how to help them.... being there is one thing, being useful is priceless  :)

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 05:10:15 AM »
This is why you see rental Hobie Cats now have a buoy at the top of the mast which prevents it from turning turtle like that.  We sailed Hobie's when I was a kid and remember it being a bitch to upright the craft once it did turn turtle. 
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 06:32:25 AM »
Nice vid Offshore!

Good thing you knew how to help them.... being there is one thing, being useful is priceless  :)

Thanks Creek. You are absolutely right about the ability to be able to be useful. The only reason I felt confident to help was I had had a Hobie, and had been in that exact situation sitting atop a turned turtle Hobie waiting almost an hour to be rescued and it never happened. This was probably on our 3rd or 4th time out and neither of us had owned a Hobie before. But I'd been a windsurfer and had been in way more hairy conditions trying to waterstart in the impact zone, and my boat partner had been an Olympic level white water canoeist / kayaker, and we just said, WTF, we can do this, and we did. So I knew exactly how they felt, even though my technique and knowledge was a little rusty.. like rusted solid..

Don't you wonder what they were doing out so far when they can't right their capsised cat by themselves??? It's sort of the kind of thing that seem obvious to think about. Pure hardcore Darwinism at work I figure.

It's pretty funny. Far out and in festive conditions on SUP we tend to get craft approaching us asking if we need help [which is cool and I always thank them for their concern]. Yet, in the end it’s us who tend help others out every once in a while. I’ve helped kiters, windsurfers and capsized cats

Having owned a Hobie for around 5 years and raced all around this area, the place they capsized is where the wind wraps around an island and can get suddenly very strong along with some rather tasty downwind swell. The temptation is to try to make it past the tip of the island where the wind is less strong and then jibe or go about in the lee of the island, but clearly they did not make it. So the combination or gusts and swell can get you if you have not been there before, which it obviously did. Where I met them they were in the lee of the island and so there was no wind to help lift the sail up like a windsurfer sail waterstarting which made it more difficult. A float on the end of the mast as Caribsurf mentioned would have helped, but the Hobie Club here is a little hard core, and attaching a float on the end of your mast, is something I have not seen here.. (although I've seen it in a lot of rental places in Asia and most of the dingy sailing clubs here in Hong Kong)

I know what you mean about craft approaching and asking if you need help. Rarely happens to me here in Hong Kong no matter how far I am out or where I am, but in the US it happens a lot when I long distance paddle there. They are always very polite and when they get close and see I am okay, ask me if I'm lost? I'm always very thankful. This is a culture of caring that needs to be encouraged, because you never know the time when you are actually lost or are actually in trouble..
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 06:54:42 AM by Off-Shore »

leecea

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 07:15:57 AM »
The plastic Hobies come with the mast float (called a 'bob') and that makes it harder for them to turtle but it can still happen.  The plastic boats are recreational and their floatation makes them harder to pull back up if they do go all the way over.  I have a Wave that I mostly sail alone and turtling is one of my fears.  The Hobie 16 is more performance/racing oriented and it's rare to see anyone put a bob on one.  Then again, sailing essentially single-handed out in the ocean with no radio and no ability to recover from a capsize is not the best plan.  I'm glad it ended well. 

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 08:44:34 AM »
I know what you mean about craft approaching and asking if you need help. Rarely happens to me here in Hong Kong no matter how far I am out or where I am, but in the US it happens a lot when I long distance paddle there. They are always very polite and when they get close and see I am okay, ask me if I'm lost? I'm always very thankful. This is a culture of caring that needs to be encouraged, because you never know the time when you are actually lost or are actually in trouble..

Yes. To be rewarded and never taken for granted. Even if some [try] tell us off for something or another.

It's also, incidentally, one of the best ways to NOT get into a pointless discussion on whether we should be out there in the first place. Pulls the attention off that.

for example:
The Search and Rescue guys came up to me once on a sweet downwinder and a young guy, dressed for a north pole expedition, came to the bow holding on for his life as his boat pitched. "You need to head in" pointing sidewind maybe a bit upwind , "because of the <NameOfTheWind>". (obviously not the most experienced of watermen)

Making it look easy standing on my board (it wasn't) in my swim trunks (shorty underneath), while he whiteknucked the railing, I moved in a little closer and calmly pointed out  that it was because of the <NameOfTheWind> that we came out there. Knowing he'd not understand at all, I  quickly moved into my thank-you speech seamlessly. In the few seconds grace I got while he absorbed that and smiled ... I said "bye, and thanks" and bolted on a wave, with a quick thumbs up and big smile to the captain. Works every time.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 08:47:22 AM »
Hey, Offshore, why did the line break?

(there are no ropes on yachts
   http://www.universalyachting.com/sailing-yacht-terminology/
other than the one we smoke
   http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=smoking%20rope
)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 08:50:46 AM by yugi »