Author Topic: Anti theft tie-down solutions  (Read 9072 times)

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Anti theft tie-down solutions
« on: October 24, 2016, 03:47:58 PM »
I am wondering about the best anti-theft solutions people have found for attaching boards on the roof racks. My Thule racks have locks built in to the gutter attachments, so I am good there. The boards will probably be in bags if they are on the racks for very long.
Thoughts or experience?
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
Re: Anti theft tie-down solutions
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 03:57:16 PM »
The Kanu Lock straps are the best ones I have tried, superior to Steel Core and the others options I have seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX0eJLjwcsI

Also, if you have a board with a SUPGrip handle or LiftSUP handle, you can just run a cable lock through the handle.
Dockslocks has a good lock that secures to the leash plug but locking straps are the easiest to use and can secure multiple boards at once and easier if you keep board in a bag.

Disclaimer: We sell Kanu Locks and Dockslocks at our shop.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 03:59:01 PM by blueplanetsurf »
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 04:11:33 PM »
A lockjaw finbox lock with a sturdy chain padlocked to your roofrack. I use one plus locking straps.

Or use a Lockrack, a product designed by Watersports enthusiasts in South Africa.

Or a Lockrack, lockjaw plus locking straps... You never can be too careful :)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 04:15:01 PM »
When we bought a Yakima rack for about 25% of list from a guy off CL - he threw in these for free plus a set of Yakima bar pads as well.  Have not used them yet - but they feel very robust and lock extremely solid.  Luckily our security requirements have been very low since we basically go straight home - so have not had a need to lock our boards down.

https://www.yakima.com/ca/ripcord

https://youtu.be/C2UO4MJLBO4
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

MaineSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 04:35:21 PM »
I got the steel core locking straps and have used them for years.  They work and are just good straps for longer rides/highway because they don't loosen and don't buzz or make noise.

http://steelcore.com/collections/surf-and-paddle
Coreban Dart 14'
SIC Bullet 14 V2
Sunova Speeed 9'2"
Red Sport 12'6"

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 04:38:21 PM »
All the ideas in this topic will deter an opportunistic thief, but the straps are the weak link if a determined thief has a battery operated dremel tool in his arsenal of tools for theft.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 04:40:56 PM »
Inno locking racks are great. It's a 'deterrent' a dremel will get them off. But it never for overnight. Just to make the guy go to the next Truck with no locks....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 04:51:21 PM »
+1 on the kanu-locks. I had the steelcores and liked them but they corroded and stopped working after a few years. The Kanu's are two cables instead of just one and lock/unlock much easier, gentle on the boards too with soft material. No strap buzz with them either. I bought two pair. I also have a cable lock but don't care for it.

Not much will stop a prepared thief.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 04:55:08 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 05:02:30 PM »
The Kanu Lock straps are the best ones I have tried, superior to Steel Core and the others options I have seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX0eJLjwcsI

Also, if you have a board with a SUPGrip handle or LiftSUP handle, you can just run a cable lock through the handle.
Dockslocks has a good lock that secures to the leash plug but locking straps are the easiest to use and can secure multiple boards at once and easier if you keep board in a bag.

Disclaimer: We sell Kanu Locks and Dockslocks at our shop.

Love the two SupGrip handles I bought from you.  Works great.  Pretty easy to install too. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 05:48:35 PM »
When we bought a Yakima rack for about 25% of list from a guy off CL - he threw in these for free plus a set of Yakima bar pads as well.  Have not used them yet - but they feel very robust and lock extremely solid.  Luckily our security requirements have been very low since we basically go straight home - so have not had a need to lock our boards down.

+1 on these

There was a pretty good price break on these when I bought my Yakima racks.  Been using them 4-5x week for almost 2yrs now.  Actually, been using one of them for that long (for my daily routine, I only use one locking strap in front with a bungee in back).  I think that's very good durability.  I don't think the Steelcores lasted me much more than a year.

Two tips:
Both the Yakimas and Kanulocks work with "locked" as the default position.  I highly recommend this over anything where you need to manually engage the lock (like a lever or clasp closure).

Get the longest length possible.  Always.  Saving a few bucks and getting 9ft when they make a 12 will be something you regret.  Very hard to get 2 boards on with only a 9ft strap.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 07:09:42 PM »
I use the Kanu when getting a bite to eat or hanging for a bit during the day.  Like others said they aren't for overnight, I lost a board doing that.

I saw a guy in Santa Cruz that built a custom roof rack that completely encased his board and only the fin was showing.  It seemed pretty ingenious and would take a thief hours to steal his board.  Other than that any lock can be cut, search youtube for bike lock tests, disturbing how easily a beefy u-lock can be cut.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

SeldomScene

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 07:25:39 PM »
Don't have pics, but you can get two of those thick security cables with loops in the ends, then loop one each around board, about halfway between center and end.  Take up the slack in the cable by wrapping it around your rack bars then put two padlocks on.  The width in the board center will prevent anyone from just sliding it out, and those cables are way harder to cut than locking straps. 

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 03:19:30 AM »
I use the Thule SUP Taxi
Bunch of old shit

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 10:22:45 AM »
My 5 year old Kanu (SPL) Locks are still going strong. 

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 05:10:29 PM »
How thick is the metal (assuming Stainless steel) in these various straps? A pair of aircraft snips will cut right through 20 gauge SS. Having a taunt strap would make it easier. Sounds like it may be more of a "feel good" solution.

As has been said....If someone wants something bad enough there going to take it.
And they won't be worried about screwing up your car in the process...aka pry/rip the racks right off your car.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal