Author Topic: Windsurfer down downwinder.  (Read 2248 times)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Windsurfer down downwinder.
« on: October 24, 2016, 05:27:49 AM »
We came across a lone windsurfer way out that needed help.. He had packed up his rig and was laying on it while laying on his board and was trying to prone paddle it all back against 30 knots of wind.. He was going backwards and would soon be in big trouble.. so.. One of the guys [Mark] in the downwind group tried to paddle him back to shore.. another [Jonathan] tried to tow his board back.. and another [Paul] tried to tow his rig back.. It was going to be very hard work paddling back across the strengthening wind.. so I raced off to get the lifesavers so they could do what they train to do.. He was a long way out [out of sight from land] and our group effort all worked in the end.. The guys were very happy to see the life saving boat turn up.. Here's some vid from that day..

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Windsurfer down downwinder.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 06:40:46 AM »
@David

You're spoiling me with your videos. There are so sharp and clear. Thanks for always sharing your videos on the Zoner site.

BTW, that windsurfer was lucky he ran into your group. You probably avoided a tragedy for him.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Chef23

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 07:27:31 AM »
Awesome video.  Thanks for sharing it.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 07:31:31 AM »
Interesting vid in so many ways, but one of them is the demonstration of the "boof and spray" of an Ace type nose versus the "slice and dice" of a Maliko-type nose, when running into the bump in front.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 08:11:19 AM »
Interesting vid in so many ways, but one of them is the demonstration of the "boof and spray" of an Ace type nose versus the "slice and dice" of a Maliko-type nose, when running into the bump in front.

I saw that too. Reminds me of "submarining into a wave". That is something I do not like.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

leecea

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 09:19:06 AM »
Do people carry radios when going into the ocean?  I have never SUP'ed in the ocean, but I have a hand-held VHF from sailing, and I always thought I'd take that along if I try ocean SUPing. 

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 09:36:18 AM »
Leecea, this is a topic that has come up before, so might be worth doing a site search.

In any event, it could not hurt to bring it along.  Cell phones will also work as long as you are within line-of-sight of the cell towers.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 02:36:11 PM »
which begs the question. Do any of you gang carry a radio or phone?

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 02:44:37 PM »
I always carry a phone, and if going significantly offshore I carry a PLB too.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 03:26:41 PM »
We much prefer a surf slice and dice by far over a boof.  Much less windage going across wind and so much more fun when conditions get big.  No comparison really for us.  For smaller conditions a boof is ok though.  Whenever we are on a DW run - our primary objective is to not have the board nose pearl - ever.  So moving and stepping back quick to avoid that is mandatory.  But everyone has their own technique.

We carry a phone and sometimes a VHF if paddling longer exposed distances.  The only time I have used a phone on-the-water is to call my wife to time a DW pickup.  So lucky so far.  Haha.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 06:45:02 AM »
DJ. This is a great story, and good to see it all ended well and the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea (LOSC, 1982), obligation was followed. I think it is article 98 (1) which states that:

"Every State shall require the master of a ship flying its flag, in so far as he can do so without serious danger to the ship, the crew, or the passengers … to render assistance to any person found at sea in danger of being lost … and to proceed to the rescue of persons in distress, if informed of their need for assistance, in so far as such action may be reasonably be expected of him."

To keep in the theme of this I'll start another post another thread of "Hobie down downwinder"... as it is amazing what we come across out in the ocean.

In answer to Leecea, when conditions get big we carry these Cobra Electronics CXT 1035R FLT Floating Walkie Talkies (split between the fastest and slowest paddler) which are around USD80 on Amazon IN ADDITION to phones in waterproof cases / pouches AND PLBs. These are tethered to my PFD or CamelBak and then clip into the waistband of my shorts at the back

SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal