Author Topic: Another perfect day in Paradise... Until it wasn't.  (Read 9375 times)

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Another perfect day in Paradise... Until it wasn't.
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2016, 03:01:10 PM »
Snakes...why did it have to be snakes?

I hate those graphs.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2016, 03:20:19 PM »
Its a La Gloria Cubana. Almost certainly the Dominican version, but you cant really tell without looking at the band closely.

My favorite mild cigar is the Quai D'orsay Coronas, but they are Cuban, so a little harder to lay your hands on.

Macanudo is popular but overrated.

Davidoff Classics are good but expensive. They make a small cigar that comes in tins of ten, that might be up your alley.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2016, 03:34:26 PM »
That's what I thought at first, but the color of the band looked wrong. I remember them having a red base at the bottom. I kind of quit smoking cigars. I still have about 30 or so Pinar 3000's. I dust one off every so often. Even though my big humidior ran out of water a zillion years ago, they still smoke beautifully. Not a Macanudo fan. I used to really like Montecristo #2, but I bought a silly number of Pinars, so I smoked them exclusively until a few years ago.

I got my Pinar's from Rich's Tobacco store in Portland, who had good access to them. Here's the story:
http://deweyavesmokeshop.com/cigars%20cuban.htm

When I bought mine (a lot of boxes) I said "I must be your biggest customer for these, huh?. The manager laughed and said, you don't make the top ten, probably not the top twenty.

The Maduros and the El Feroz were the first to go. spectacular.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 03:49:33 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2016, 05:01:32 PM »
How did we get from stingrays to cigars??  Just a little thread wander. Nothing to see here. Move along...
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SD Surfer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2016, 10:38:18 PM »
How did we get from stingrays to cigars??  Just a little thread wander. Nothing to see here. Move along...

Not sure, but you started it.  ::)

Sigmund Freud, the founder of psychoanalysis, was famous for interpreting symbols with special emphasis on the imagery in dreams. In photos he was often shown smoking a cigar, and that is why I always found the following quotation from him very amusing:

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

In 1922 “The International Journal of Psycho-Analysis” published an article about the symbolism of cigarettes, cigars, and pipes by Eric Hiller. The article made clear that the phallic symbolism of smoking was established by the 1920s. The cover page of the journal proudly displayed its connection to the founder of psychoanalysis with the statement “Directed by Sigmund Freud” [IJPA]:

Cigarettes and cigars can symbolise the penis. They are cylindrical and tubular. They have a hot, red end. They emit smoke that is fragant ( = flatus = semen). …

I refer to the reason, or at least one of the reasons, why people start smoking (and, of course, why they go on), that is the phallic significance of the cigarette, cigar and pipe. It is thus a substitute for the penis (mother’s breast) of which they have been deprived (castrated, weaned).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal