Author Topic: Another perfect day in Paradise... Until it wasn't.  (Read 9373 times)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Another perfect day in Paradise... Until it wasn't.
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2016, 12:04:51 PM »
I'm the opposite. I'd rather sup in clear water because seeing what's "down there", I can avoid it. When sup'ing in sandy brown murky water, you can't see what critter is laying on the bottom so if you jump off a sup in shallow water, one of your feet could land on a stingray and then you're in big trouble. Yup, give me clear water anytime.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

SD Surfer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2016, 10:16:22 AM »
Damn I was there last Wed because I got throttled at South Mission & couldn't get out.  Paddled out in front of La Jolla hotel. Hour in I try to catch a wave,  I'm on the top looking down & i see 5 Leopard sharks in about 3 feet of water.  I freaked out a little. Then the wave behind me broke so I knew I was jumping in with em. They left for a while & then a bunch came back about 30 minutes later. I know they're harmless but still an eerie feeling. I saw a few sting rays there too.  Going to the same spot tomorrow morning as SM is supposed to be big again. Guess I'll keep a pair of pliers in the car & hope I don't fall on any. Does this happen more at La Jolla opposed to other SD beaches?

Yeah, I know what you mean. As an avid surfer for 40+ years there's a strange feeling when looking at a shark in the water with you, even a harmless Leopard.

When we were out in this same area (Shores to the cove and back) 2 weeks before, the water was as clear and calm as I've ever seen it there (I think I made a thread with some pics) we saw a bunch of Gray sharky-lookin' sharks. I think they were either Soupfin or SevenGill, also fairly harmless though I'm told they will come grab fish if you have them on a stringer dangling off your SUP or kayak.

That was a little spooky 'cuz they're just gray and look like a shark, and they were bigger than me!

There were times when we were in 4-5 feet of water and had 5 or 6 of 'em 6'+ cruising underneath us. At least the Leopards I can process the markings quickly in my head and go "Okay, Leopard... I'm cool"

I can't say there's more stingrays at the shores than anywhere else, but I surf there quite a bit as it's about the closest spot to my house, and I see multiple people soaking their feet at the lifeguard tower just about every time I'm there in the summer.

There are usually holes and sandbars on the bottom there that's just the kinda' hiding spots that the little buggers love.

SD Surfer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2016, 10:33:52 AM »
BTW, I'm good to go wit' da' toe, and given the lack of surf in the forecast, I'll probably be paddling the cove again this weekend.

If any zoners see me on either the 14' JL Creamsicle, or 9' Green Weenie Coreban, come say hi!

SD Surfer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2016, 10:42:59 AM »
I'll be easy to spot, I'll be the one wearing these.

NateNate

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2016, 11:25:45 AM »

Damn I was there last Wed because I got throttled at South Mission & couldn't get out.  Paddled out in front of La Jolla hotel. Hour in I try to catch a wave,  I'm on the top looking down & i see 5 Leopard sharks in about 3 feet of water.  I freaked out a little. Then the wave behind me broke so I knew I was jumping in with em. They left for a while & then a bunch came back about 30 minutes later. I know they're harmless but still an eerie feeling. I saw a few sting rays there too.  Going to the same spot tomorrow morning as SM is supposed to be big again. Guess I'll keep a pair of pliers in the car & hope I don't fall on any. Does this happen more at La Jolla opposed to other SD beaches?

Yeah, I know what you mean. As an avid surfer for 40+ years there's a strange feeling when looking at a shark in the water with you, even a harmless Leopard.

When we were out in this same area (Shores to the cove and back) 2 weeks before, the water was as clear and calm as I've ever seen it there (I think I made a thread with some pics) we saw a bunch of Gray sharky-lookin' sharks. I think they were either Soupfin or SevenGill, also fairly harmless though I'm told they will come grab fish if you have them on a stringer dangling off your SUP or kayak.

That was a little spooky 'cuz they're just gray and look like a shark, and they were bigger than me!

There were times when we were in 4-5 feet of water and had 5 or 6 of 'em 6'+ cruising underneath us
. At least the Leopards I can process the markings quickly in my head and go "Okay, Leopard... I'm cool"

I can't say there's more stingrays at the shores than anywhere else, but I surf there quite a bit as it's about the closest spot to my house, and I see multiple people soaking their feet at the lifeguard tower just about every time I'm there in the summer.

There are usually holes and sandbars on the bottom there that's just the kinda' hiding spots that the little buggers love.

Thanks man, I'll probably NEVER paddle out there again lol. I can only distinguish a Leopard shark. If I see anything else, I'm shitting my pants and paddling in fast. Especially if they're about as long as you or your board. Doesn't help I'm a little color blind so I wouldn't be able to see it unless it was really close.

Surfline said 4-5 Occ 6ft @ South Mission but not until later in the day. I was able to get out there this morning. Right in front of the La Jolla hotel is my go to when it's too big everywhere else. Now I'll be thinking about rays & sharks :O( haha.  If I ever see you out there, I'll holler.

SD Surfer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2016, 12:10:49 PM »
In over 40 years of surfing pretty much any chance I get, I've seen the man in the gray suit a few times.

I'd be a damn fool to think that I haven't been seen &/or smelled THOUSANDS of times. (Most days I'm comforted by this, once in a while I'm freaked the eff out by it.  ???

If they wanted me they'd have had me by now... fortunately Sharks and I have a little unspoken agreement; I don't order Shark when we go out to eat, aaaannd... Well... So far, so good.

So Nate, I guess you probably don't want me to tell you about what lives and breeds in the Submarine canyon right off La Jolla?  ;D

NateNate

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2016, 12:30:15 PM »
Nope! I'll be the guy paddling w/ the blinders on.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2016, 12:35:35 PM »
The man in the grey suit has been hanging around at SanO for the past month at least. It's been glassy lately and you can see him under us in the line-up. A couple of weeks ago me and another guy were just sitting on our boards in the line-up looking out. About 50 yds out a Juvenal Great White breached more than a full body's length straight up into the air. We both looked at each other. "Did you just see that?", "Yep"....... They're there, and always have been. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2016, 03:41:20 PM »
The man in the grey suit has been hanging around at SanO for the past month at least. It's been glassy lately and you can see him under us in the line-up. A couple of weeks ago me and another guy were just sitting on our boards in the line-up looking out. About 50 yds out a Juvenal Great White breached more than a full body's length straight up into the air. We both looked at each other. "Did you just see that?", "Yep"....... They're there, and always have been.

OMG. Sharks in the water. News at 11:00.

Always cracks me up when the lifeguards close a beach because of sharks. "Okay, it's gone, perfectly safe now." As a longtime diver I'd say in the right water, the chances of a serious shark (Tiger, White, Mako, Bull) passing by you without you knowing it, on any given day, is probably 1 to 5%. Spend a hundred days in the water and it probably happens one to ten times. Just a wild ass guess, but I think it's reasonable. If sharks were Hippos, you'd be dead between one and five times per year.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2016, 04:10:55 PM »
I guess you should be more afraid of snails than sharks.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

SD Surfer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2016, 10:35:27 PM »
Thanks SUPcheat, I'm still not too worried about Sharks, but now I'm scared of snails, Tsetse flies, kissing bugs, tapeworms, roundworms, and people.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2016, 10:40:01 AM »
You're welcome.  Phobia masking with even bigger phobias often works.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

SD Surfer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2016, 01:03:08 PM »
You're welcome.  Phobia masking with even bigger phobias often works.

Same principle as smashing your thumb with a hammer so your forget about the pain from stubbing your toe?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2016, 02:40:51 PM »
Looks like a cuban Romeo y Jullietta Cedro de Luxe No. 3. He might be weird, but I like that cigar.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SD Surfer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2016, 02:49:25 PM »
Looks like a cuban Romeo y Jullietta Cedro de Luxe No. 3. He might be weird, but I like that cigar.

What's a really mild good cigar for a noob? I occasionally want to smoke a good cigar, but they all seem to bite my lip.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal