Author Topic: New movie about the the 'Wedge'.  (Read 1629 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
New movie about the the 'Wedge'.
« on: October 22, 2016, 04:29:19 PM »
Mostly a body whamping movie, but I an old whamper at heart.

Full movie is for sale on i tunes.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: New movie about the the 'Wedge'.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 06:52:08 PM »
Bought it, watched it. More surfing, less talking would be good. I didn't really need to see the guys who shoved everyone else around talking about how it was OK. I think I recognized the guy who pulled the plug caps off my bike (I took all his lugnuts off and tossed them in the trash, a little payback surprise).  And then they all got old and there was no one to play with anymore. Gee, what a surprise. I recognized most of the guys. They were pretty much all dicks. Romo was just a mean prick, and he didn't body surf half as well as some of the guys he chased off.

Terry Wade was always good to watch though, and he didn't hassle anyone. I think he was just so good he didn't need to. I learned the trick of rotating back onto your leading hand side from watching him. When your feet started getting over your head that's the only way to save it. Kept me from cartwheeling and eating it many times.

I loved surfing the wedge, and I got my share. It helped that I never tried to surf the big stuff. No matter what they said about eating shit to gain respect, if you weren't in the in-crowd, and you were out on a bigger day, someone was going to give you an elbow, or shove you under and stand on your shoulder to keep you there for a while.  I didn't stay on the beach because of that. I just didn't want to die. And I saw people do that. Two of them. And a few broken necks. Lots of broken arms and legs, lots of broken coccyx. That was daily deal, anytime it was head high--which was pretty much my max.

It does pain me to see people surfing it on shortboards, and SUPs, and boogie boards. In the mid-seventies to the early eighties when I surfed there two or three days a week, boogie boards were not allowed. Last time I was there it was ALL surfboards and boogie boards.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 07:09:22 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 07:02:18 PM »
Some of those old timers look like recess at the rehab.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 07:08:48 PM by SUPcheat »
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 07:24:15 PM »
I tried body surfing when I was in my late teens. Didn't like it back then because it put the hurt on my body. Different stroked for different folks.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 07:42:42 PM »
I definitely want to see this movie.  As far as them all being dicks and bullies it sounds like countless other surf brakes around the world.  Hell, I grew up in Palos Verdes.  I would imagine most of them have long grown out of it at this point (unlike the Bay Boys).  Regardless is sounds like some interesting stories to be told and I am looking forward to watching it. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 10:50:40 PM »
Well, you don't have to wait. It's on iTunes--you can rent it for five bucks or buy it for ten.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal