Author Topic: Water-whisker-shedding chines on raceboard nose?  (Read 1512 times)

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
Water-whisker-shedding chines on raceboard nose?
« on: October 21, 2016, 12:59:50 PM »
Hi Folks,

I'm ordering a custom Riviera RP 14' raceboard. It's going to be real similar to the production 14x23, but in a more expensive, lighter construction, and with custom graphics. Going a tiny bit narrower (22.75") but adding 0.25" to the tail width, so hope to break even on stability.

My question is about whether to request any changes to the nose shape. I really like how the nose on the production model works as a blend of cutting through the water and skimming over the water, so I wouldn't want the change the entry. The one area I was thinking about changing is the rail curvature on the upper deck of the nose. I was thinking that straight chines on that area (like on the 2014 Fanatic Falcon or the 2016 Starboard allstar) might prevent water from curling up over the deck. Would there be any reason NOT to ask for that modification to the custom board?

-James
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Water-whisker-shedding chines on raceboard nose?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 01:10:43 PM »
It will probably increase how much the nose gets shoved around by side-on chop.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 01:36:40 PM »
It will probably increase how much the nose gets shoved around by side-on chop.
And more importantly in my book, the wind. Specifically quartered wind on longer boards.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 03:36:00 PM »
The one area I was thinking about changing is the rail curvature on the upper deck of the nose. I was thinking that straight chines on that area (like on the 2014 Fanatic Falcon or the 2016 Starboard allstar) might prevent water from curling up over the deck. Would there be any reason NOT to ask for that modification to the custom board?

Just went and checked my 2016 AS23 and it has no hard edge on the upper deck nose as shown in your diagram.  And based on my use for the past few months have found no reason to change the design anywhere on that board.  Even the triple concaves are perfect - and the addition of side chines on the 2017 underside do not make a lot of sense on a board that narrow.  On the 24.5 and wider - yes and no problem -> but not the 23.  The old 25 was incredibly stable for 25 wide board - actually a bit too stable.  And was virtually impossible for many to fall off in normal conditions.

But in any event for your topsides - would not go for a sharp edge as noted for the reasons above by the others posting.  The soft rolled edge on my board is fantastic as it is shrugs side chop easily and does not catch much wind even though it is taller than my deep vee Dom.  So would not play with that for those reasons.  Water does wrap slightly around the nose - but all that you need do is just weight back slightly and you are good.  The float to height ratio is perfect on the AS23.  It is fast and has a very narrow shaped pointy nose that slices and pounds just right through and over small chop.  Best and most efficient board I have ever paddled for that stuff by far.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal