Author Topic: glenn beck in RS  (Read 2984 times)

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
glenn beck in RS
« on: October 21, 2016, 11:38:49 AM »
here's my latest in rolling stone, a profile of rightwing commentator glenn beck who has been against Trump since the beginning, at his own peril, or so he says. 
   http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/features/glenn-beck-is-taking-on-trump-but-at-what-cost-w445358

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: glenn beck in RS
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 03:48:49 PM »
Funny you should post this, the other tab I have open is about Glenn Beck and his choice for the next prez.  The last tab open is the Libertarian platform.  For reference, I'd never heard of the guy he's behind.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 03:52:43 PM by SlatchJim »

joelcr

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 03:59:02 PM »
Great writing, sounds like you had a few days of some interesting access and interaction with a complicated personality. Also read Matt Taibbi's latest on the Trump phenomena. He does have a way with words as well.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 04:37:42 PM »
taibbi is the freakin best!

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 10:30:52 AM »
taibbi is the freakin best!

I still hold one of the articles he wrote on McCain and one he wrote about Goldman-Sach as some of the best journalism in recent history.

Btw that is a great article!!! How do you keep so calm with a guy that is clearly not super stable? DO you think he is just playing a persona? His work on Fox was unhinged. The times when he takes out a blackboard and find some conspiracy in interpreting a word as an acronym is off the wall nuts and would only be normal in a mind influenced by heavy medication...or LSD.

I do not think his station isn't in trouble if Trump or Clinton wins...IMO it is just doing really poorly because the quality is not great. It will be replaced by Trump TV that will do equally bad...but then again I would never believe a golf TV station could do well. 

You've done so many interesting portraits. Really a nice body of work. I think your Rogan article could have been a bit more critical (his moon conspiracy stuff is nuts and he needs to be called out on it..even if he has tempered it lately...same with him pushing that brand of healtcare products..I actually hate his podcasts because they give advice on issues where they have no competencies), but I understand that is not the profile. :-)

Excellent stuff.

SeldomScene

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 04:32:54 PM »
Beck is an entertainer, and he has made lots of money doing it.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
glenn beck in RS
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 05:25:20 PM »
I have a friend named Michael D'Antuono who does very political paintings from a leftist POV. (One he did of Obama got a lot of notoriety.) He was invited on Glen Beck's a year or so ago. My friend was expecting a very difficult interview, but he was smazed how pleasant Glen Beck was to him. He said something to the effect of, ”I don't agree with anything you say, but I agree you have the right to say it.“

Michael was surprised, to say the least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 09:31:08 PM »
He said something to the effect of, ”I don't agree with anything you say, but I agree you have the right to say it.“

I'd consider that a very conservative position--one I hold also.  I don't think many republicans do anymore--at least not the vocal ones who get their skivvies twisted about flag burning or not standing for the national anthem.  If everyone isn't free, no one is free.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 02:37:48 AM »
Bill, I think that's basically an American position.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 07:09:04 AM »
It certainly used to be.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 12:05:06 PM »
He said something to the effect of, ”I don't agree with anything you say, but I agree you have the right to say it.“

I'd consider that a very conservative position--one I hold also.  I don't think many republicans do anymore--at least not the vocal ones who get their skivvies twisted about flag burning or not standing for the national anthem.  If everyone isn't free, no one is free.
Has anyone noticed how much the NFL viewer ratings are tanking this year, and the interest in baseball (America's pastime) is on the rise?  The best ratings for the world series this time around, for a very long time.
Leading theory is because of how political the NFL has become with all that not standing for the national anthem stuff.
Free to not stand, equals free to not watch.
"Amedica has been bedy bedy good to me".
It takes a quiver to do that.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 02:10:22 PM »

Free to not stand, equals free to not watch.
I love how that works.  It's not a criticism of the anthem protesters at all.  It works in personal situations, too.  Sometimes people forget that while they have a right to say or do things, others have an equal right to react.  You see it all the time with people being shocked when they get fired after internet postings (anti-employer or otherwise) misunderstanding that "free speech" doesn't mean right to say anything without repercussions.  In fact, that's something to admire about protests by players--whether you agree with them or not--who know they could take a financial or popularity hit, but protest anyway.

You can ALMOST make an argument some anti-discrimination laws aren't needed--let the discriminatory business discriminate, then let the market drive it out of business through boycotts and bad press, with customers shifting to businesses that welcome customers from the discriminated group.  It's similar to what's happening with states that pass legislation allowing what some see as discrimination.  They're allowed to pass the laws, but then need to accept getting boycotted by conventions, sports events, etc. that don't want to give that state their business.  The boycotting groups may not even disagree with the law, but they know their own customers may, and may boycott them.  All a messy but productive process.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2016, 03:04:02 PM »
Exactly, and I'd like it to be applied to economics.  I don't like bail-outs, or subsidies, let the economic forces w/o artificial manipulation, shake out what works and what doesn't.
Messy but productive, and it also takes less time.
It takes a quiver to do that.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2016, 03:18:02 PM »
Yes, the invisible hand is wearing manacles these days. But it probably always did.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal