Author Topic: Looking for warm water SUP camps/tours  (Read 3291 times)

IRideYellow

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Looking for warm water SUP camps/tours
« on: October 21, 2016, 09:28:45 AM »
I'm looking for SUP camps/tour in Mexico or other warm water destinations.  Done proner tours where the surfers were all like 20ish so not much in common. 

Ideas or suggestions welcome.
Starboard WidePoint 8'10, Sunova 8'10 Speeed (Sold), Wardog  7'10 Jammer,  L41 8'8 S3 (sold), Naish Mana 10 (sold), 3 Wavestorm 9'6

supgobes

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for warm water SUP camps/tours
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 12:59:57 PM »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 08:37:12 AM »
The Kalama Kamps are fun and you learn a lot. Turks and Caicos was certainly HOT, but I want to try Namotu next. It's almost always sold out, so you have to reserve early. There are a bunch of people who go every year--a pretty good recommendation in itself.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 09:28:35 AM »
I highly recommend http://www.nosarapaddlesurf.com/

good  to  hear ,  I'm  going  in  Feb .  I  second  what  Pono said . 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 09:30:37 AM by Tom »

p06781

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 02:20:45 PM »
I did a trip down in August to Nosara with http://bluezonesup.com/ .  Great area and definitely challenging waves when the surf is big .   The owner/coach Eric does the podcast http://paddlewoo.com/ .  The other coach is Oscar who runs a great rental shop and one of the best places to eat with his brother in the north end of playa guiones .  Check them out too !   

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 04:06:47 PM »
p06781, please tell us more about the wind and chop conditions in August. We almost went down to spend time with Eric in August, but went to Mex instead because we heard that Nosara gets onshore wind and chop in the summer afternoons, more than in the winter. What was your experience?
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

p06781

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 02:21:43 PM »
Hey nalu ,

I was there the first week in August .  We had some absolute glassy mornings but yes the wind did come up in the afternoon making it choppy .  It wasnt eveyday and depended on what the thunderstorms were doing nearby .  We had huge surf the whole 10 days with smallest in the beginning and end .  Playa Guiones is best in the 2-3ft range for SUP as its a beach break and hard to get outside .  We had a 3 ft day in the beginning then 4-5-6 @ 16-18 sec the rest of the time .  Above 4ft its tends to close out alot and only shoulders during high tide . Definitely not for the timid rider.    However thats when the reef works and its amazing .  I probably got the longest ride of my life in that area.  One day it was too big for the reef and rode the reform inside the bay .  Its a local unnamed spot and they share it the locals and the other paddle camp by cooperating to limit crowds .  Pretty fun place !

I would hope for glassy 2-3+ ft long period swell .  Not too big or it gets pretty difficult and closes out alot more.   As like most of CR its a high tide surf place so timing is important .   If its smaller low tide is OK but gets pretty dumpy .

Jim from pdx

ruralwaters

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 11:15:47 AM »
On a similar note, I'd love to go to a camp or tour focusing on stroke, footwork, and fundamental technique without surf or downwinding.  Someplace with warm water.  Clear water would be fabulous.  I wish Dave Kalama or someone of his ilk offered one.  Has anyone seen or been to something like this?  Suggestions or recommendations?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 11:41:05 AM by ruralwaters »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 06:32:47 PM »
Man you can do that all over Hawaii, just get a daily lesson and have fun the rest of the time. Waikiki in the winter (flat) and get Robert ( or one of his guys) from Blue Planet to take you out every day.

I think Kalama does a FL session that's less surf too.

But I gotta say, take a week of surfing and it'll change your life.

supgobes

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 07:13:20 AM »
On a similar note, I'd love to go to a camp or tour focusing on stroke, footwork, and fundamental technique without surf or downwinding.  Someplace with warm water.  Clear water would be fabulous.  I wish Dave Kalama or someone of his ilk offered one.  Has anyone seen or been to something like this?  Suggestions or recommendations?

The kalama kamp in turks and caicos has a lot of emphasis on technique.  They will go surf if there are waves but there's a lot of non-surf paddling.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal