Author Topic: Sources for carbon fiber/glassing in New England?  (Read 5659 times)

BWilliam

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Mongrel Combative Arts
    • Email
Sources for carbon fiber/glassing in New England?
« on: October 21, 2016, 08:11:51 AM »
I figured I would start here first before I start cold calling places...

For an unlimited board: I'm contemplating getting a blank CNC'd and then bonding and cleaning it up myself in prep for glassing. I know of one source who can likely do it but so far they aren't getting back to me after two inquiries. Do any zoners know of anyone in the (preferably RI but would certainly consider people in MA or CT) Rhode Island area that could glass a 19ft plus board?

Will

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sources for carbon fiber/glassing in New England?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 08:23:39 AM »
Will,

Years ago I had a carbon raceboard that had some damage. Nobody in RI, let alone New England, had much experience with carbon boards so I started to contact boat yards for repair/builders in that area. Found a great guy in the Bristol area that repaired racing yachts and other types of boats. He was very familiar with carbon and epoxy. When I went there to drop my board off, we started talking and he brings me up to his loft and pulls out a 14' blank that was shaped but not glassed. I immediately knew it was a M&M shape and turns out he knows either Morelli or Melvin, I forget which. They shaped him the blank, he hand finished/sanded it and then was going to glass it himself. The repair he did for me turned out better than I could have hoped for. I need to find the name of his shop though, it was about 5 years ago and I'm drawing a total blank. I'll post it once I can dig it up. In the meantime, I would start investigating in the boat build/repair areas here, that might be your best bet. They should also be able to accommodate an unlimited blank pretty easily.

Hope this helps.

Glowmaster

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 09:28:08 AM »
Patrick Broemmel at Banh Pho makes em that long, and it located in Pocasset on the Cape.

Highly recommended craftmanship with carbon and glass.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 09:47:12 AM »
Patrick Broemmel at Banh Pho makes em that long, and it located in Pocasset on the Cape.

Highly recommended craftmanship with carbon and glass.

You beat me to it Glow.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 10:25:01 AM »
Duh, I don't know why I spaced on this. Definitely Patrick. He should be your first, last and only call without a doubt.

BWilliam

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Mongrel Combative Arts
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 10:34:51 AM »
Thanks guys!

I just shot an email out to Banh Pho/Patrick so hopefully I can plan out and get this project moving.

Will

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 10:36:45 AM »
I mentioned before you should come down with me to talk to Patrick when he gets back from the Chattajack. Kill a couple of birds with one stone. Test drive the Speedboard, talk to Patrick about glassing your board. I'm talking to him about building me an unlimited and now that I'm thinking of it maybe he's the right person to talk to about fixing my old starboard properly as well.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

BWilliam

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Mongrel Combative Arts
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 10:58:05 AM »
I mentioned before you should come down with me to talk to Patrick when he gets back from the Chattajack. Kill a couple of birds with one stone. Test drive the Speedboard, talk to Patrick about glassing your board. I'm talking to him about building me an unlimited and now that I'm thinking of it maybe he's the right person to talk to about fixing my old starboard properly as well.

That's right you did...that's actually a good plan. Please let me know when that starts coming together.

Will

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 11:14:03 AM »
United Airlines tried to shorten my paddles for me so Patrick is going to help me salvage them. I will post pics once they are done to show his magic.

BWilliam

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Mongrel Combative Arts
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 11:43:39 AM »
Ouch!! That's sucks KD. Looking forward to seeing the magic worked to make them whole again.

Will

PS: If you have some songwriting skills you might be able to go after United like this guy did when they broke his guitar... :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

BWilliam

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Mongrel Combative Arts
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2016, 05:23:15 AM »

PM'd ya.

Will

BWilliam

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Mongrel Combative Arts
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2016, 12:39:22 PM »
Thanks guys!

I just shot an email out to Banh Pho/Patrick so hopefully I can plan out and get this project moving.

That email just got kicked back. Hmm??? I used the link off of their website.

Will

Glowmaster

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2016, 12:53:34 PM »
I just PMed his phone number to text Patrick.   I wonder if he is finished the Chattajack race yet today

BWilliam

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Mongrel Combative Arts
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2016, 01:00:17 PM »
Thank you!

Will

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2016, 05:34:30 PM »
Merton's fiberglass supply in Springfield Mass.    Used to have good prices on epoxy,  System 3 dealer.  I also bought glass and Kevlar from him in the past.   JP

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal