Author Topic: How easy is it replace a handle?  (Read 15110 times)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: How easy is it replace a handle?
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2017, 12:28:26 PM »
I think it will work just fine assuming that your deck is not soft and that you don't fall or jump around close to the handle.

It's funny, once I opened up the board I could feel the total loss of rigidity in the deck.  But after the install, once cured, the deck was back to normal. 

Bill your comment about the relative flexibility is well received. 

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2017, 01:30:51 PM »
Personally I would not recommend this in such a high traffic area. The bond between epoxy and plastic is never great and the handle is only offering support through the bonding of its self to the epoxy and in a short space of time I think you will find the deck will move enough to break the bond under the lip and then leak. I would keep a very close eye on it or re install it. I have seen leaks around bonds to plastic too many times.

That's why I would just use Gorilla glue. The epoxy will get harder over time and be more likely to fracture. Polyurethane stays slightly flexible and expands to fill all the voids. It would give a good bond between the EPS and the handle plastic that would be strong and largely waterproof even without the flange. With that 1/2" flange you have a lot of grip. You could also use JB Weld Plastic weld for a better bond on the flange, but it doesn't foam and expand like Gorilla Glue does, so it wouldn't give the void filling bond to the eps.

I would use gorilla glue for installing the handle in a conventional way if the routed hole was a poor fit as like you say it expands and also penetrates the foam however if its only a small gap epoxy and micro balloons is a lot easier as you can just wipe of any over flow. Personally I would not trust gorilla glue to be water tight on its own as when it expands it makes lots of bubbles which can often create voids as it blows out. You would also want to key up the handle very well before using it as gorilla glue or any glue or resin will crack right off that shiny surface, but like you say it will depend on the flexibility of the glue.

Generally leaks happen around were you have something hard  meeting something soft on a board. fin boxes, foot straps inserts, air vents , leash plugs, drain holes ect ect. I see this sort of thing happen all the time working doing board repair, I had one that had a leaking foot strap insert on a windsurf board and due to the constant movement of the deck due to the riders weight it had basically sucked a huge amount of water in and completely broken down the foam under the standing area . The board now hangs on the wall as a demonstration to customers to show what can happen when you get a leak.

It maybe worth doing a water/dishsoap test and putting the board in the sun to cheque that you have a perfect seal at the moment and then regular after every use of so as you wont be able to see easily when it does start leaking.

I'm glad you have done it and shared and very interested to hear how it lasts as a experiment but I really wouldn't recommend anyone to install one like this, its just asking for trouble.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2017, 05:08:53 PM »
I'm banking on the simple premise that a 1/2 inch FLP (lap joint) will outperform a butt joint.  And you brought up a good point SU, I did key both surfaces with 80 grit, and there was naturally a good contour match.

But again, thanks for the constructive feedback all.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2017, 07:46:24 AM »
Took the board out his morning and while the handle is not leaking, the deck surrounding it does feel a bit softer.   I would venture to say with that amount of movement, as others have pointed out, eventually the mechanical bond between the deck and plastic handle will likely fail.

I hate to be the example of how not to do it, but around here, I've gotten used to it.  My fail is a great illustration of why the Blue Planet install video suggests so many layers of glass and I will definitely follow that on my next install.  Might be sooner than later. ;D

In the meantime, the handle itself is a huge improvement over the other that I've used.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2017, 02:00:54 PM »
Bean, thanks for the update.
It takes courage to tell the gang on the interweb that a project did not go as planned.
I cannot think of a single build thread I have done that does not have some cautionary tale where I messed up and had to go back and fix things.
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2017, 03:47:58 PM »
Easy fix, though perhaps not pretty. If it's not leaking now there's no reason to let it go.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2017, 07:28:17 PM »
I need to replace the handle on my 9' Hobie.

I don't want to strip the entire deckpad off so removal of some deckpad around the handle is my biggest concern because it needs to be cut in a way that's super clean and large enough so I can...

a) Have room to cut out the old handle.

b) Have room to rout out the area where the new handle will go.

c) Have room to put a couple layers of cloth on top of the new handle.

d) Have enough room to sand the new cloth smooth.

e) Glue a new piece of deckpad in place when the job is done.

Has anyone cut out a section of deckpad with a router? If that works then I could make an oval shaped template out of plywood so the cut is super clean. Anyone?
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2017, 10:49:36 PM »
I need to replace the handle on my 9' Hobie.

I don't want to strip the entire deckpad off so removal of some deckpad around the handle is my biggest concern because it needs to be cut in a way that's super clean and large enough so I can...

a) Have room to cut out the old handle.

b) Have room to rout out the area where the new handle will go.

c) Have room to put a couple layers of cloth on top of the new handle.

d) Have enough room to sand the new cloth smooth.

e) Glue a new piece of deckpad in place when the job is done.

Has anyone cut out a section of deckpad with a router? If that works then I could make an oval shaped template out of plywood so the cut is super clean. Anyone?

you can use a router but far easier and safer just with a Stanley and a fresh blade then just peel it back, a template is a good idea so you can use it to cut the new pice of pad at the end.  Start undersize and you can always go larger. A 90deg die grinder with sanding pad is your tool for this job as you can get it in there without touching the edges of the pad.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2017, 06:39:36 AM »
If your deck pad is really stuck, a vibrating tool (whatever they call those things) with a knife blade is the easiest way I've found to get it off cleanly. I wouldn't try routing. The thickness of fiberglass on a surfboard is less than the likely error band of routing through a deck pad. Good chance of taking a small job and making it big.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2017, 07:27:02 AM »
I agree, a multi-tool with a scraper blade has been the easiest way to remove pads.  The area that you need to remove is based upon the size of your router base and size of the new handle.  Measure the room you need front to back taking these two into account.  I would use a straight edge and pre-cut two parallel lines, using your measurement, across the pad, and then scrape the pad off in between, leaving a nice squared off band across the deck.  Once you have the handle installed, you could replace the pad with a similar or contrasting piece of pad.

By the way, after about a dozen hours on the water (surfing), the handle is still solid!  The superior quality of the handle continues to withstand my inferior installation process. ;D

I'm glad you will be doing the right-job on your install Magenta.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2017, 12:05:30 PM »
Thanks for replying, guys.

1) My real concern isn't removing the section of deckpad because I should be able to do that with a thin putty knife and acetone. IF that ends up being a major pain, which multi-tool blade on this page http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=multitool would you recommend for getting under the pad?

2) The only part that concerns me about this entire job is making a clean oval shaped cut (or whatever the shape) into the deckpad in a way that won't cut into the deck. Maybe I'm being paranoid here but what do you think about this? Make the initial cuts with a new blade in my utility knife (using a template) and then grind the tip of the blade off so it's rounded and dull for subsequent cuts?

3) supuk: Would you use the 90 degree die grinder with sanding pad to literally sand/grind out the deckpad AFTER cutting the shape out with the utility knife?

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2017, 02:54:38 PM »
Deck pad cuts like butter with a good new sharp blade you shouldn't need to press so hard you go through the hot coat or glass.

Remove the pad what ever way you like depending on skill level and what tools you have. plastic scraper or sander work on small areas multi tool and the flat scraper blades work good if you need to do large areas. You shouldn't find it to hard to get a good fit when replacing the pad just cut it a fraction oversize and squeeze it in.

loosehead

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2017, 05:15:34 AM »
easy plug handle

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2017, 09:46:59 AM »
easy plug handle

You mean put two leash plugs in with loops of line and use my paddle as a handle? If that's what you're talking about...  my first sup had that and I liked it better than handles but was always a little paranoid of going over the falls with my big toe stuck in one of the loops.

Thanks everyone for your input. I tend to fixate on little things sometimes so this discussion helped me get past that.

Now I just need to find a small piece of deckpad before I can start...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal