Author Topic: How easy is it replace a handle?  (Read 15114 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How easy is it replace a handle?
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2016, 06:52:41 PM »
most of the strength comes from glassing over the handle and making a solid connection to the deck glass.

and that's the beauty of the SUP GRIP handle; it's easy to glass over.  I'm much more confident in the two Blue Planet handles I've installed than any others that I, or other people, have done.  It's just a more naturally watertight design. 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 06:54:14 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2017, 11:32:06 AM »
Finally got around to replacing the handle on my Corban Icon with the Blue Planet handle.  Since it's and old banged up board I decided to try doing it as a surface mount.   Clearly not as strong as a glass over but I have to say, it worked really well. 

I just traced the outline of the box right on to the pad and carefully routed the old handle out.  Then recessed the new handle by simply removing the remaining pad under the handle lip with a razor. 

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2017, 03:51:04 PM »
 :'(

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2017, 11:34:56 PM »
I considered doing mine that way, but how do you know how much resin to put in the hole?

Too little and it won't be enough create a proper seal. Too much and it oozes out onto the deck pad.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2017, 08:18:34 AM »

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2017, 08:31:35 AM »
I considered doing mine that way, but how do you know how much resin to put in the hole?

Too little and it won't be enough create a proper seal. Too much and it oozes out onto the deck pad.

As you know Badger, the BP handle has a substantial flange.  So, I used the same technique as I would for a Casica surface mount vent.  There is actually very little epoxy involved.  Just to be clear, the entire flange is in full contact with the hard deck, not glued to the pad.

And, as I said, I would not recommend this approach, unless it was SW's board natch! ;D ;D ;D

In the meantime, it is truly a great improvement.  (That's water in the picture)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 08:38:42 AM by Bean »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2017, 10:30:44 AM »
I like the bucket picture, but I have to agree with Bean, the BP handle certainly can be surface mounted. Over time the strains on the handle might create a flange leak, but it would be a long time. Can't say that I would do it that way, but yeah, it will work. If I were going to do it I wouldn't use ANY epoxy, just Gorilla glue all the way.  Inside and on the flange.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2017, 11:04:45 AM »
I thought about using G-Glue.  I can't emphasize enough (for anyone that has not seen this handle in person), the flange actually provides nearly a 1/2" overlap joint.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2017, 11:25:26 AM »
Personally I would not recommend this in such a high traffic area. The bond between epoxy and plastic is never great and the handle is only offering support through the bonding of its self to the epoxy and in a short space of time I think you will find the deck will move enough to break the bond under the lip and then leak. I would keep a very close eye on it or re install it. I have seen leaks around bonds to plastic too many times.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2017, 03:09:28 PM »

As you know Badger, the BP handle has a substantial flange.  So, I used the same technique as I would for a Casica surface mount vent.  There is actually very little epoxy involved.  Just to be clear, the entire flange is in full contact with the hard deck, not glued to the pad.

I still don't understand how you did it.

Did you pour epoxy into the hole or just put some under the flange?

Did you line the hole with glass or just use resin?

Did you use anything to thicken the resin such as Colloidal Silica?

I agree with supuk. Epoxy and plastic don't bond well. The entire hole surrounding the handle from top to bottom needs to be sealed or water might easily find a way in.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 03:44:26 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2017, 09:18:15 PM »
Just applied epoxy to the flange
Neither
No
I agree with supuk. Epoxy and plastic don't bond well. The entire hole surrounding the handle from top to bottom needs to be sealed or water might easily find a way in.
Plastic and epoxy don't always work well together, but in this case I would respectfully disagree.  In fact, I could not separate the handle from the board at this point without peeling up the deck with it.  It's a 1/2" lap joint, total overkill.

Thanks for your concerns Badger, if it starts to leak or fail in any way, I will be sure to give an update.  This is a very low cost trial, with very little consequence.  I'm not surfing Mavericks or crossing the Atlantic.  The real story is, the Icon finally received a useful handle (and, in less than 20 min.)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2017, 04:44:05 AM »
Just applied epoxy to the flange
Neither
No

Plastic and epoxy don't always work well together, but in this case I would respectfully disagree.  In fact, I could not separate the handle from the board at this point without peeling up the deck with it.  It's a 1/2" lap joint, total overkill.

Thanks for your concerns Badger, if it starts to leak or fail in any way, I will be sure to give an update.  This is a very low cost trial, with very little consequence.  I'm not surfing Mavericks or crossing the Atlantic.  The real story is, the Icon finally received a useful handle (and, in less than 20 min.)

I'm not concerned about your board. All I'm interested in is how you did it.

Sounds like you only epoxied beneath the flange. That certainly would make the installation a lot easier and save a ton of time. As long as it keeps the water out, that's all that matters. It will be a good experiment.

Edit - I just noticed that you answered my questions inside my quote. I almost missed it. In the future you might try using a different color font.

I think I would have gone a step further and poured some epoxy in the hole to help anchor the base of the handle.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 05:16:11 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2017, 08:59:48 AM »
....I think I would have gone a step further and poured some epoxy in the hole to help anchor the base of the handle.

If I were doing a flush mount, (FCS, Futures, etc.) that's exactly what I would need to do.  But since I did a surface mount, I'm relying on the substantial lap joint (at the deck).  I don't add anything to the epoxy when I'm using it as an adhesive.

The pocket that I cut through the deck and foam was also sufficiently tight to use straight epoxy.  BTW, so far 5 hours or so of wintertime use w/o issue.  We'll see how she does long term.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2017, 11:03:22 AM »
I think it will work just fine assuming that your deck is not soft and that you don't fall or jump around close to the handle.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2017, 11:57:29 AM »
Personally I would not recommend this in such a high traffic area. The bond between epoxy and plastic is never great and the handle is only offering support through the bonding of its self to the epoxy and in a short space of time I think you will find the deck will move enough to break the bond under the lip and then leak. I would keep a very close eye on it or re install it. I have seen leaks around bonds to plastic too many times.

That's why I would just use Gorilla glue. The epoxy will get harder over time and be more likely to fracture. Polyurethane stays slightly flexible and expands to fill all the voids. It would give a good bond between the EPS and the handle plastic that would be strong and largely waterproof even without the flange. With that 1/2" flange you have a lot of grip. You could also use JB Weld Plastic weld for a better bond on the flange, but it doesn't foam and expand like Gorilla Glue does, so it wouldn't give the void filling bond to the eps.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal