Author Topic: How easy is it replace a handle?  (Read 15108 times)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: How easy is it replace a handle?
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2016, 01:36:16 AM »

Will just a basic router work to cut the hole?

If I can't find one to borrow, I don't want to spend much.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2016, 04:33:38 AM »
Any router will do but you need a high quality bit, straight single fluted carbide at least 2 1/2" long. 

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2016, 07:39:41 AM »
This tool is far less scary than a router bit biting and jumping as it goes through a handle.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18-Volt-LXT-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Multi-Tool-Tool-Only-XMT03Z/205302496

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: How easy is it to replace a handle?
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2016, 08:22:07 AM »
This tool is far less scary than a router bit biting and jumping as it goes through a handle.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18-Volt-LXT-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Multi-Tool-Tool-Only-XMT03Z/205302496

Thanks. I need all the advice I can get.

Do you mean scary as in the router possibly damaging the board?

Can the multi tool do it all or would I still need to use a router to finish the hole?

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2016, 09:04:48 AM »

Thanks. I need all the advice I can get.

Do you mean scary as in the router possibly damaging the board?

Can the multi tool do it all or would I still need to use a router to finish the hole?

Prep the opening with a multi tool as best you can.  But it won't have the precision to replace a router.  Multi tools are safer than routers for hogging out the old handle. 

Then polish off the edges and depth with a plunge router.

If you have to ask, I'd watch someone do the routing.  A plunge router with a few inches of bit sticking out is not a good way to learn about routers.  They are bad news when things go sideways.  Ever have a drill grab and twist in your hand?  Same thing, with extreme violence and unpredictability.   
Support your local shaper

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2016, 09:20:42 AM »
What Larry said.^

Routers take practice, and they are perhaps the most dangerous tools in the average toolbox. Like a circular saw with the guard disabled. They won't cut you quite as deep, but it's a heck of a wide kerf.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2016, 09:33:17 AM »

Great advice. I'll hog it out as best I can first. Then use the router.

I have tons of things I can practice on beforehand to get some experience.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2016, 10:52:09 AM »
Sorry to disagree with you, but I've routed out a few handles and if you let the tool do the work, it will not "jump around".  Also, I've only used my low end, 1/4" conventional router for this process without fail.  Many times I've thought about going to a 1/2" plunge router, but it just has not been necessary.

The multi-tool is the best tool for scraping the pad off however.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 11:02:18 AM by Bean »

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2016, 10:56:48 AM »
I've routed out a few handles and if you let the tool do the work, it will not "jump around"...

That's just what I was thinking. Taking it real slow letting the tool do the work, a tiny bit at a time.

Good to know of the dangers too.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 11:01:58 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2016, 11:24:03 AM »
Sorry to disagree with you, but I've routed out a few handles and if you let the tool do the work, it will not "jump around".  Also, I've only used my low end, 1/4" conventional router for this process without fail.  Many times I've thought about going to a 1/2" plunge router, but it just has not been necessary.

The multi-tool is the best tool for scraping the pad off however.

Of course it's fine if you use it right. Every tool is safe until it isn't. But how many tools do you use that have a completely exposed, razor sharp carbide bit with no guard spinning at 20,000 RPM with a two horsepower motor driving it? I've never had a problem with one.  I have lots of scars from angle grinders, but angle grinders don't make me nervous.  Every time I use a router I use maximum caution.

Larry is one of the finest and most experienced finish carpenters I've ever met. Looking at his tools I'd say he considers no expense is too great for the right tool and he's an absolute expert at using them. If he cautioned me about hammers I'd listen to him.

Of course he'd give me a lot of shit while he was cautioning me, but I never worry about getting grief from my friends.  I spread too much of it around myself to be sensitive.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 11:45:30 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2016, 03:50:52 PM »
A 1/2" plunge router and a custom jig would be better, if you're trying to knock out more than a few at a time. 

Badger, you have to ask yourself one very important question, can you handle the ROUTER?  Well can you!? ;D

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2016, 03:58:41 PM »
I recently replaced the handle on my 8'5 board and put in a Blue Planet handle. Worked perfectly and, if you are familiar with glassing, it's easy.  In fact, it's the easiest handle I've ever installed.  The vid on his website tells you what you need to know.  Great handle too. 

One extra tip:  Glue it in with Gorilla Glue, don't use epoxy. Pono Bill gave me that advice and it works perfectly.  Gorilla Glue avoids epoxy's endothermic reaction that will melt EPS and make a void under your handle.  It expands to fill all gaps, too.  Plus, it's sandable to some extent.  Once the Gorilla Glue is cured and sanded, you can epoxy/glass over it as usual.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 04:16:13 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2016, 04:46:45 PM »
Thanks everyone for the excellent tips.

I'm sure with practice I'll be able to handle the router alright. Once I get the hole made, the rest is easy.

I'm very familiar with glassing with epoxy. I know how it heats up. I'll look into the Gorilla glue idea. There are probably lots of different glue alternatives out there.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2016, 05:01:35 PM »
I'm glad you guys like our SUPGrip handle and that you plan to install it into your board Badger.

We have routered out a LiftSUP handle and replaced with SUPGrip before and it was a pain.  The LiftSUP is bigger and deeper so you would have to fill the gaps and it's difficult to router through the handle.  It would be much easier to install the SUPGrip next to the existing handle if you don't mind having two handles. 
If you do plan to replace the handle, I would try to remove the whole handle in one piece rather than routing through the plastic, then fill the hole with two part PU foam (or glue a piece of EPS foam into opening with gorilla glue) and then router out the new handle opening.  In my opinion, putting glass under handle is not necessary, actually the wrinkled glass in the corners can create gaps and pinholes that you have to be sure to fill with thickened resin.  Gorilla Glue can also work well as suggested to glue handle into the foam, most of the strength comes from glassing over the handle and making a solid connection to the deck glass.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 05:15:17 PM by blueplanetsurf »
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2016, 01:34:09 PM »
Holy smokes, the Liftsup is a lump!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal