Author Topic: The Ghost Board: Confession Time  (Read 4454 times)

Chef23

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: The Ghost Board: Confession Time
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2016, 01:54:18 PM »
We have a $500 limit if it is under that neither of us needs clearance. I justified the Bullet purchase by saying it as my birthday slush fund and it didn't come out of our checking account.

She pouted a tiny bit on the bullet purchase but was ok with it. If it gets me to spend more time at the beach  which she loves.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2016, 02:55:36 PM »
A friend of mine was a rabid brit car collector. Kept them in a purpose-built polebarn. Before he brought any new purchase home he had it painted Primrose Blue. The collection grew invisibly.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2016, 02:58:54 PM »
My wife is a Ghostbuster. Nothing escapes detection.
Fortunately, she's also my surfing partner, and she lets me try out all the new boards she gets herself.  ;)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2016, 03:34:03 PM »
This is hilarious that I'm not the only one!
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2016, 04:04:11 PM »
Yeah, she knows but I just love the look I get from her when the semi and 53' trailer pulls up with one and at the same time how it feels I got away with something when I can get it all unpacked and the packaging gone before she sees all that   They are so big I think I need another 6 or so before they kind of blend in.
I can pull off golf clubs and fishing poles quite often. Not sure I could pull off a set of irons but putters and a wood or few for sure I do.  It's nice when down the road a bit you get the "how long you had that one..." but  I can't seem to pull off skis for more than a few exposures or so it seems tho my kids notice first glance on those.

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2016, 04:35:25 PM »
OK, so  this is true confessions time.  I generally talk about all the positives SUP has brought into my life (health, sanity, etc), but this thread makes me realize that it's also introduced shameful money-laundering into my marriage.  Wife has always tracked the finances and meticulously so--I never really cared about it and still don't as she's really good at it and it just isn't my thing.  Up until about 6yrs ago, I happily got my allowance and cleared major purchases as they approached.

It was only after I got fixated on expensive pieces of foam wrapped in carbon fiber that I set up a financial account for long-term investments, etc. that I have control over.  She knows it's there but doesn't really pay attention to details.  Pretty easy to move money through there though since it's robbing from my kids college, etc I keep that under control.  Still better for everyone for her to not know the exact actual price of a raceboard.  (Let me propose an SUP-Bro code:  Any spouse or significant other asks, a top-of-the-line board can be had for $800, OK?  Better for all of us and it gives us a more workable foundation to start from.)

I've discovered two pretty reliable work-arounds.
1)  When budgeting a SUP purchase, add $400.  That's the amount I'll spend at Tiffany's concurrent to bringing a new board into the house.  She's very intelligent, but dangling shiny things still works really well to distract her.

2)  Major home remodel/repair projects present fantastic opportunities.  I've never pulled off an entire board purchase this way, but when we remodeled our kitchen she never questioned a $400 KeNalu invoice and just paid it.  With invoices for Ubatuba granite counters and Travertine floor tiles, she figured "Maliko" must be the material for the backsplash.

You're welcome.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2016, 05:21:14 PM »
Picture a lumberyard where maybe 75% if not more of the customers surf. The manager worked out a deal with a local shaper to distribute his boards through the lumberyard. While you're picking up some studs, you can check out the boards sitting there on a display. Just throw another board on your rack. On your monthly account bill it shows up as an "Aqua plane".....  8)

I haven't seen the display for a few years now. Not sure what happened with the set up?
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2016, 09:58:34 PM »
TallDude, it sounds like you're building a smuggling service for board-addicted husbands.  :)

Here's a pic of my garage with the ghost board inside. It is the biggest board there. I'm amazed it hasn't been discovered. For the first three months I was stuffing it into a bag made for an 11' board, so it had about two feet of tail sticking out the end. (It's that red/silver bag on the rack.) Then I bought the 14' FCS bag, and you can see it clearly! We even joked around about the FCS bag while the board was on my Honda because it looks like there's a face on the end.

In my wife's defense, I've always had it in a bag, so she's never truly “seen” it.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2016, 04:28:04 AM »
Hah, wife and I got a kick out of this thread....

story goes something like this:

After a false start a couple of months ago, Marlon Lewis contact me and informed me he had the B&B I desired.  In comes JimK for the prompt coordination and shipping arrangements to Providence (Delta Cargo) from Maui.  Timing was perfect as I was driving up to RI myself and could easily swing by and pick it up on arrival day.  All good....wife knew of false start a couple of months ago, but with purchase of RI home recently and her desire to pick out some new furniture I knew new board timing would be best if delayed till next spring.

So, board arrives on Thursday and I get it home safely and stored neatly in the garage in amongst half a dozen other boards.  There's no mistaking the bright new yellow board!  I'd have to be slick.  Saturday morning wifey flies into PVD and I pick her up.  She decides she'd like to swing by and see her mom in Newport for a couple of hours so I drop her off.....perfect I reply "I'll jump in the water for a couple of hours".  Little did I know that wifey, mom, sister, and a couple of others would be walking from mom's house to Cliff Walk for a short stroll.  Story goes wifey's sister says "hey Lisa, that looks like Todd down there"...wifey replies, "no that's not him - he doesn't have a bright yellow board".  There where a dozen or more proners out and I was the only SUP'er.  Their conversation continues for a bit with my SIL convinced its me.  I finish up and get back to my truck and check my cell phone...it's SIL, "hey, I saw you from Cliff Walk....you got a yellow board?"  Damn, "Nope" I replied.  Scurry home, wash board, and carefully place it back into its resting place.  Shortly thereafter wifey returns home and as SIL pulls up into the driveway the garage door is open - she replies "I thought Todd didn't have a yellow board?"  BUSTED! 

What did it cost me?  Well, wifey had never been to a Pat's football game at Gillette and it was high on her bucket list! So when she asked about the "yellow board" I admitted guilt but quickly injected that I got two tickets to tomorrow's Pats vs Bengals game (Brady homecoming).  I splurged on the tickets big time and could have damn near bought another new board for the price paid.  But, I knew this was a one-time deal so I went all in. We had an absolute blast and it was an incredible day.  For any future games we'll be up in the 300's sections!

All's well.

8) 8)

Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal