Author Topic: The Ghost Board: Confession Time  (Read 4452 times)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
The Ghost Board: Confession Time
« on: October 21, 2016, 04:10:46 AM »
Okay, tell me you haven't done this! Anybody?

http://supexaminer.com/2016/10/the-ghost-board-seen-but-never-noticed/

When my wife finds out, I'm in trooooouble!
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: The Ghost Board: Confession Time
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 05:14:27 AM »
If I ever bought another sup (Ghost Board) without telling my wife, I'd  be in deep "do-do".  ;)  Space in my garage is at a "premium" if you get my drift. And my wife can "count" so I've already got two strikes against me. When I decide I'm going to purchase another sup (if and when the time arrives or ever comes), I'll just bite the bullet and tell her. Then I'll sit back and await the "slings and arrows of outrageous fortune" which will be coming my way from her at break neck speed.  ;D
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Chef23

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 06:42:11 AM »
I have done it with golf clubs and water skis but not with a paddleboard yet. I just got a new to me board (SIC Bullet 14) and caught a little flack for not explicitly telling her I was going to buy it but she knows I have it.

The golf clubs and water skis are less noticeable particularly given that the Bullet is currently in the living room of my beach house.

BWilliam

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Mongrel Combative Arts
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 06:47:50 AM »
I've had a number of "ghost boards" over the last couple of years. I store them in another building so they don't get noticed much by anyone else in the family. I tried to get them interested but they've all been "eh" about it.

I use the same formula for boards that I use for bikes, skateboards, knives, paddles, etc... N+1. :)

Will

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 06:53:07 AM »
She knows....just wait...her time will come... :)

Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 07:02:12 AM »
My mate used to tell his wife he was just storing a board for a friend - and his friend told his wife the board in his garage belonged to my mate.....

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 07:05:23 AM »
Have 3 skateboards hidden around the house that have yet to be noticed.

(Thats above the 5 or so i already have)

I just hung my all around boards from the garage ceiling and playing with a Winter Surf Custom that would 'ghost board' above them without being noticed.

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 07:22:19 AM »
The golf clubs and water skis are less noticeable particularly given that the Bullet is currently in the living room of my beach house.

Haha, this is so true. She can't tell a Scotty Cameron from a miniature golf putter so I'm all set there, not to mention that my staff bag in the basement has so many clubs that she would never be able to notice a new club unless it was wrapped in plastic, sitting on the front steps.

I can't hide any boards from my wife since she paddles/surfs too. Fortunately I have a hall pass for any new board purchases since it's always a board for "us" and not "me".... or something like that.

It would be hard to hide anyways since we don't have a garage. We keep our primary raceboards in living room and then the rest of our boards in the basement and the van.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 08:10:30 AM »
Kaya, that is some of the finest wall art I have ever seen, talk about your functional art!

Every one of my boards has been a ghost purchase, but as it turns out my wife really doesn't care...to tell you the truth, that really takes some of the fun out of it. 

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 08:18:56 AM »
HellllllooooWWW...

It's called a "DEMO"

I've had many demo's over the years....they come/they go...some stay

Like Stoney says         She knows....

Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 08:19:13 AM »
Ichabod McLacky McBalls.

The trick is to buy the board bag first and just let it lye around. Then it just becomes part of the garage or shed-scape. One day there's a fin sticking out of the bag.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 08:53:00 AM »
Ichabod McLacky McBalls.

The trick is to buy the board bag first and just let it lye around. Then it just becomes part of the garage or shed-scape. One day there's a fin sticking out of the bag.

HAHA great move TallDude!

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 10:59:25 AM »
She is pretty indifferent to the sport.  I would like another board, an "easy" performance board, to round it out at four.  The three I have now are in a shed that fits them all.

However, it is out of sight out of mind for her.  If she sees something show up in a big cardboard box, I am in the dog house.  The last Sunova Flow was delivered in Pleasanton when she was in Santa Cruz, so I was able to unwrap it, throw away the cardboards, and "sneak" it into the shed when I brought it back to SC.  When I took it out, she saw it, and gave it a puzzled look, but didn't really do anything more than pout a little.

I think it is more a campaign of "programmed desensitization" as I told my neighbor.  You kind of let the board out once in a while a bit out of the way, until she gets used to seeing it from the corner of her eye, without thinking of why it is there or the origins.  As long as there is no more than one board at at time that is out waiting for duty, she seems to be a bit miffed but doesn't really get as twisted out of shape as having some big, new package show up, or seeing multiple boards laying around.

I think females think that all of the resources of the household should be screened by them alone.  It is some kind of female psychologic biology to flog the male when he gets something without "permission" or appears to squander when she could be using the money for makeup, clothes, plastic surgery, or $300 jars of face cream.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2016, 11:06:11 AM »
Kaya, that is some of the finest wall art I have ever seen, talk about your functional art!

Thanks Bean. Here's a view of the wall art in our basement. I wish we had a garage. We're just renting this house right now since we moved back to the east coast less than a year ago and starting to look for the right house to buy. Garage is a must.

There have been a few boards that have made their way into the house and it's been days or a week until she notices. I'm sure there's plenty of shoes (possibly close to the same price as some of our boards) and dresses kicking around here that I've never seen so it all works out in the end.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2016, 12:24:27 PM »
It took a while, but my wife has become acclimated/de-sensitized to the revolving door of boards. I still might get "Is that a new board?" But chances are I have a recent sale I can mention...  and live on a houseboat so board collection ultimately capped due to storage space!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 12:31:29 PM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal