Author Topic: Ace downwind video  (Read 5261 times)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Ace downwind video
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2016, 01:45:51 PM »
For those unfamiliar - here is young Clement gunning and surfing DW swells at max velocity.  His technique and balance are amazing.  You will notice the nose of his Ace does not have much water ever splashing over in pearling boof fashion.  His fore aft and rail to rail balance is excellent.  And turning backwards while standing in DW swells is not for the faint hearted.  He is pretty much catching every swell out there and easily jumping up to the waves ahead.  Beautiful - just beautiful - demonstration of accomplished skill and technique.  Maintaining glide and speed is key.  And Fast is Fun!   :)

https://youtu.be/HbdKlEpK4rg
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2016, 07:41:57 PM »
What's even more amazing about Clement Colmas is that he's able to pull off those downwind skills on an Ace! That's much harder than doing the same thing on a more surfable board. Those skills are way beyond me now and ever - unless I'm reincarnated. Cool to see what's possible though. That's my favorite Ace video.

As for the ventral fin, I prefer downwinding without it in ideal conditions, but if I have to paddle in quartering or strong side wind for a while, it definitely helps. The big Ace nose just gets blown downwind too much in side winds. I guess if it's consistently windy enough to surf most of the time and you've got the skills, then you don't need it. I don't have either the wind or skills in my case. If the wind is an offshore side wind at 15mph (very common for me), then I'm glad I have the ventral fin to help me maintain my line.

My ventral fin seems small enough (much smaller than the Allison ventral fin) that I don't notice it too much when gliding on a bump. I'm still able to switch directions relatively easily with foot steering and paddle strokes to get on adjacent bumps that are developing. Still experimenting with it though.

Here's my second favorite Ace downwind video. This is Ryan Keck of Oz:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piiZYxxvZzw

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2016, 07:43:41 PM »
What's even more amazing about Clement Colmas is that he's able to pull off those downwind skills on an Ace! That's much harder than doing the same thing on a more surfable board. Those skills are way beyond me now and ever - unless I'm reincarnated. Cool to see what's possible though. That's my favorite Ace video.

As for the ventral fin, I prefer downwinding without it in ideal conditions, but if I have to paddle in quartering or strong side wind for a while, it definitely helps. The big Ace nose just gets blown downwind too much in side winds. I guess if it's consistently windy enough in a downwind direction to surf most of the time and you've got the skills, then you don't need it. I don't have either the wind (typically) or skills in my case. If the wind is an offshore side wind at 15mph (very common for me), then I'm glad I have the ventral fin to help me maintain my line.

My ventral fin seems small enough (much smaller than the Allison ventral fin) that I don't notice it too much when gliding on a bump. I'm still able to switch directions relatively easily with foot steering and paddle strokes to get on adjacent bumps that are developing. Still experimenting with it though.

Here's my second favorite Ace downwind video. This is Ryan Keck of Oz:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piiZYxxvZzw

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2016, 10:35:45 PM »
I can imagine an Ace is tough to control direction sidewind.

I’ve never tried one. I’m a flat deck and planing hull kind of guy. I know Titian Puyo (Clement Colmas teammate) was too, when with Starboard preferring  an AllStar rather than an Ace. But now he’s on NSP with a rounder more pinny tail hull and major dugout. And happy. So there has to be something to it. I will try one when I can.

One can tell it’s a bit tricky/wobbly from your video. In the forward view one can see it moves quick and maintains speed between baby bumps. I can see how that's fun.

dk78

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2016, 11:41:25 PM »
Perfect warm and windy October day for a downwinder. Couldn't pass that up.

https://youtu.be/tmyMsmIVRfU

Cool video!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal