Author Topic: Suggestion for Sunova, get rid of the LIFTSUP handle.  (Read 43704 times)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion for Sunova, get rid of the LIFTSUP handle.
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2016, 04:27:10 AM »
I'm not a huge fan of the Liftsup, but it does have a big advantage over other handles; no big toe-breaking hole in the board, right where you plant your front foot.  On any board under 8-6, I'd rather have no handle at all.
I don't know anyone who has broken a toe in a SUP handle. How many do you know, and why are they sticking their toes in there?

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2016, 04:55:46 AM »
I'm not a huge fan of the Liftsup, but it does have a big advantage over other handles; no big toe-breaking hole in the board, right where you plant your front foot.  On any board under 8-6, I'd rather have no handle at all.
I don't know anyone who has broken a toe in a SUP handle. How many do you know, and why are they sticking their toes in there?

I agree. I've never heard of anyone injuring a toe in a handle. We hear about the concern but there don't seem to be any actual cases. It has to be an extremely rare occurrence and way down near the bottom of the list of ways to hurt yourself on a paddleboard.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2016, 01:12:08 PM »
I've read a couple posts on here about "try shoulder carrying my board when it's windy".

I shoulder carry my 36 pound, 14 x 29" Naish Glide several hundred feet regularly and frequently don't have a choice. Some of the trails to the water are steep, narrow and littered with waist high boulders and carrying from the handle means dinging and putting holes in your board. So, it doesn't matter how nice a carry handle is, because sometimes I have to shoulder carry. I also find it easier on the shoulder edged into the wind than having my board catching wind badly carrying it on the side. If it's a short walk, then no problem, but I find a long walk when it's windy harder to carry with the handle than on my shoulder. The board is like a sail flat under the arm right into the wind, and it catches less wind when edged. Just my experience anyways.

I also shoulder carried my 12'6" SB Race that was 31.5" inches wide and 34 pounds+.

It's alright to have a preference, and my preference is to not have the Liftsup. I simply don't like it. Whether or not I would not own a board because of the liftsup is something else, but if I can find a board that I like that doesn't have it, then I guess it makes my purchasing decision easier. I'm sure it would be fine, but I have tried many boards that have the liftsup and I will pass if I can.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 02:10:17 PM by robon »

SunovaBouy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2016, 10:11:20 AM »
I love the liftsup handle, I think it adds to the board not detracts.

Having said that I have only just bought an 8'10 Speeed, which means I've yet to surf it through the winter here in the U.K.

I'll post back in the Spring  ;D

dns

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2016, 08:26:59 AM »
Ditto, I love the liftsup handle on my 8'6" Speeed. Makes it SO easy to just lift it up and spin it around any which way one handed getting it off/putting it on the car. The liftsup handle gives FAR better control when maneuvering the board than any of the pocket style handles I've used.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2016, 04:32:20 PM »
This kinda weird but I actually hyperextended my big toe in an OLD Starboard handle like 8 or 9 yrs ago Hurt pretty good, swelled up turned purple kept me off the water a while
But I use LiftSUP handled, Fanatic handle (definitely the best inboard handle) and the new Starboard, JP and Naish handles and haven't had a close call since
So let's chalk it up to beginner mistake

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2016, 06:06:55 PM »
Plus one for Blue Planet's handle.

Best one I've ever used.

Agree 100%.  Love the one I installed on my 8'5.  HOWEVER, I'm not sure if you could get your fingers in there to use it with heavy gloves.  I wouldn't know about that kind of cold in my local. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2016, 02:13:35 AM »
  my 5 mil gloves worked just fine with it.  thumbs up!

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2016, 02:41:20 AM »

The two main problems with the LiftSup for me are 1, It's next to impossible to get the handle out of the board with gloves/mitts on and 2, Once you get the handle out, it's too small to get your hand around it.

The Blue Planet handle is a half inch longer than the LiftSup. Even my 7mm mitts work with it. I just installed one on my 8'4 Flow and I love it.

Now I'm putting one in my 8'10.  I'll take pics this time and do a post once it's done.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 03:20:14 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2016, 10:05:52 AM »
I shoulder carry...

It's alright to have a preference, and my preference is to not have the Liftsup. I simply don't like it...

Oddly, shoulder carrying is one thing that the LiftSUP excels in.  The rigid plastic handle is the best for controlling your board on your shoulder, especially in windy conditions.  You should luv it.

My one big grip is it doesn't drain when flipped over.  Put some drain holes in it!

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2016, 01:46:33 PM »
I shoulder carry...

It's alright to have a preference, and my preference is to not have the Liftsup. I simply don't like it...

Oddly, shoulder carrying is one thing that the LiftSUP excels in.  The rigid plastic handle is the best for controlling your board on your shoulder, especially in windy conditions.  You should luv it.

My one big grip is it doesn't drain when flipped over.  Put some drain holes in it!

The Blue Planet handle will shoulder carry that way just as well and you don't have to go to the trouble of pulling it out of the board every time. The LiftSup actually loses points on this for a lot of people because the handle is too small to fit your hand into properly while wearing gloves/mitts. The Blue Planet handle wins the glove contest hands down, and as a plus, it drains completely when upside down.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2016, 06:31:52 PM »
@Badger

You did a real nice job on changing out the Sunova handle and replacing it with the Blue Planet handle. Thanks for sharing the photo of it.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

supthecreek

« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2016, 08:00:17 PM »
Agreed.... great job Badger... it looks stock!
and I'm glad to hear that the gloved hand fits. Pics of that please.

SunovaBouy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2016, 06:44:57 AM »
That does look like a great job there, but there is no way I'd ever butcher my board for the sake, of what seems to some, a minor distraction.

As is today, here in the UK, we are in the first forays of winter which means gloves.. I had no problems at all lifting the handle.. all be it with just one finger in the little cutout.

Each to thier own.

Stay safe, enjoy the surf.

MDG

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2016, 06:57:06 AM »
I got an in-person view of Badger's new handle this morning. This handle option is a great improvement for those having problems using the Liftsup while wearing thick winter gloves, or don't have time to pop it up trying to escape dangerous shore break. This handle provide the same grip as the Liftsup - just a a bit roomier and easier to use. Although I like the Liftsup and don't have the same issues as some on this thread have expressed, I would likely opt for Badger's option if given the choice.
Sunova Flash 8'6"
Bill Foote Rocket 8'4"

Seacoast NH

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal