Author Topic: Suggestion for Sunova, get rid of the LIFTSUP handle.  (Read 43723 times)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion for Sunova, get rid of the LIFTSUP handle.
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2016, 12:06:34 AM »
Been surfing Makorori Point for 30 or 40 years.........you gotta walk a couple of hundred yards before getting to the point. Most boards you gotta sling over left shoulder or right shoulder. Sunova wins in my estimation (but what would I know compared to the newbies opinions)  :)

Why would you need to sling your board over your shoulder just to walk a couple hundred yards? Not sure that I understand what you mean by sling. Why would Sunova win?

« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 12:25:52 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

kliss99

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2016, 02:05:11 AM »
Been surfing Makorori Point for 30 or 40 years.........you gotta walk a couple of hundred yards before getting to the point. Most boards you gotta sling over left shoulder or right shoulder. Sunova wins in my estimation (but what would I know compared to the newbies opinions)  :)

Why would you need to sling your board over your shoulder just to walk a couple hundred yards? Not sure that I understand what you mean by sling. Why would Sunova win?
Yea pretty ridiculous comment by Gizzeenz!  I've been surfing for over 30 years myself and not sure what that has to do with a sup handle?

Anyway, this will be my second winter using the sunova liftsup handle and not looking forward to tying a piece of string again for when the mitts are needed.  If I lived in a warm water climate all year round I would have no complaints.
8'6 JL Superfrank
8'10 NSP Surf Wide
9'2 Fanatic Allwave 2013
14' NSP Cocomat

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2016, 04:17:08 AM »
Shoulder carry, like we used to do with boards that were too wide to get an arm around. (Before recessed handles).  I still do this on longer walks, especially if there are a lot of little kids on the boardwalk.

beached

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2016, 04:48:58 AM »
having just gotten a sunova, i gotta say i agree the lift handle is bad. there are times in the water you want to grab 'something' on the board, especially when getting worked in whitewater. yes, you can grab the leash at the board, but it's nice having another option like an insert in the middle of the board. this lift thing gives you no such option. it's fine for carrying the board around, but still more awkward then the normal insert.   

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2016, 05:54:35 AM »

So far, without counting multiple comments, we have sixteen who are against the LiftSup, three that say they like it and a few who seem to be on the fence.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2016, 06:31:21 AM »
It's kind of like the OJ defense, if the SUP handle doesn't fit, you must acquit...the point being, the glove could have fit any number of people in that courtroom that day, but not OJ.

Clearly Sunova did not use Liftsup to save cost.  I'm sure for many, Liftsup totally fits their needs. 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 07:13:33 AM by Bean »

supthecreek

« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2016, 08:18:57 AM »
Different people or different climates = different preferences. It's life.

The "perfect handle" depends on many factors, all of which, are moving targets.

Discussions like this one help to sample different opinions and maybe help create the improbable "Perfect Handle".... (maybe an empty box with switchable inserts)

My NEEDS - in order of importance

1- Easy, quick grab in dangerous shorebreak - if this doesn't work, the rest doesn't matter.
2- Comfort and control for long walks, and vehicle loading in 25+ mph winds. (frequent winter winds)
3- Enough room for my stubby fingers, in winter wetsuit gloves
4- Sure grip, for times that my handle is covered in ice. I have dropped a heavy, molded touring board on my car and the parking lot, too many times to remember.
5- Adequate compatibility underfoot when surfing. I have never had a problem with any wider opening, ledge handles, where this is concerned.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2016, 09:10:28 AM »
I ordered two Blue Planet Sup Grip handles and am going to attempt replacing my LiftSup handles with them. They just arrived today. $25 each on Amazon and it only took two days.

They look pretty nice. They fit the hand very well. I like that they put some rubber around the bar for more comfort and increased grip.

I'm able to use the Sup Grip with my 3mm gloves, 5mm lobster mitts and even my 7mm full mitts. The part you grab onto is a half inch longer than what the LiftSup has.

With the LiftSup, I can barely fit my 3mm gloves inside the handle. It does work but it's tight and not very comfortable.

I'm not the least bit worried about my toes accidentally falling into the holes.

These new handles are going to be a great improvement. I'll post some photos of each stage of the project.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 09:24:35 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

surfshaver

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2016, 10:42:23 AM »
I don't really have a dog in this hunt as of yet, but am seriously considering a Sunova for my next board.  I don't have a position but rather an observation.  This is not meant to critical or negative at all.

I spoke to Tino from Sunova briefly at PPG to tell him how many good things I've read and heard about the boards.  Tino made the point that what makes Bert such a good surf sup shaper is that he himself does not sup surf at all -- ever.  The point being that he shapes boards purely in terms of how they surf.

If in fact the liftsup is less than optimal as a handle, then it might stem from the fact that Bert himself hasn't spent a lot of time using it to carry a board.  He might be unaware of its shortcomings.

Just a wild supposition on my part. 

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2016, 11:14:14 AM »
Yes. I think the degree to which a brand gets these sorts of details right is directly proportional to the amount of time the shaper actually uses his product. That's why the SIC handles (that are like the Blue Planet ones) are so good IMO: Mark Raaphorst paddles more than most.

A duff handle is fantastically annoying - as is one in the wrong position (I hope you are listening, Starboard etc).

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2016, 11:33:30 AM »
I   was   not   a liftsup fan   at first ,  but   now I   like  it  a lot .  I  have  a  difficult  climb  onto  a  rock  to  exit  the  surf .  The  liftsup is quick  to  grab  with  the  paddle in the  same  hand . I  think  all  handles  are  personal  preference 

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2016, 11:47:23 AM »
I have a 10ft Style and as echoed above the only thing i LOATHE about the board is the handle.

I'll use Creek's list below as a Northeast- 6 months with gloves, 10ft board owner as a template.

1- Easy, quick grab in dangerous shorebreak - if this doesn't work, the rest doesn't matter. SUCKS FOR THIS
2- Comfort and control for long walks, and vehicle loading in 25+ mph winds. (frequent winter winds)  REALLY SUCKS FOR THIS
3- Enough room for my stubby fingers, in winter wetsuit gloves: UN-USEABLE FOR ME WITH 3 or 5 MM GLOVES
4- Sure grip, for times that my handle is covered in ice. I have dropped a heavy, molded touring board on my car and the parking lot, too many times to remember. IF MY HAND FIT_ I MIGHT SAY OK
5- Adequate compatibility underfoot when surfing. I have never had a problem with any wider opening, ledge handles, where this is concerned. POPS UP EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE- BUT NOT OFTEN

Of course- there is the rattles on the car issue- Only works from one side issue, Sticks if not completely rinsed issue......you get the point.

I can say without a doubt- despite how much i love the construction of Sunova -  I woudnt buy a shortboard or anything I would use in waist high plus shorebreak with this handle. and as some market advice - it has made me not consider Sunova for a winter Shortboard sup.

[/quote]

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2016, 05:16:34 PM »

Note that SIC doesn't even use their big cupped handles for their shorter surf SUPs. An opening big enough for a 5mm gloved hand to slip into is big enough for a bare footed toe to slip into, not sure there is any getting around that. Center mass is where an ambidextrous carry handle needs to be, but its also where your front foot tends to hang out on a shorter surf sup.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2016, 05:22:06 PM »
I ordered two Blue Planet Sup Grip handles and am going to attempt replacing my LiftSup handles with them. They just arrived today. $25 each on Amazon and it only took two days.

They look pretty nice. They fit the hand very well. I like that they put some rubber around the bar for more comfort and increased grip.

I'm able to use the Sup Grip with my 3mm gloves, 5mm lobster mitts and even my 7mm full mitts. The part you grab onto is a half inch longer than what the LiftSup has.

With the LiftSup, I can barely fit my 3mm gloves inside the handle. It does work but it's tight and not very comfortable.

I'm not the least bit worried about my toes accidentally falling into the holes.

These new handles are going to be a great improvement. I'll post some photos of each stage of the project.
Great, please post lots of photos of your installation process, thank you Badger!
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

comeu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2016, 09:11:43 PM »
I have my Speeed for only 3 months. Before getting it I worried about the handle, but it's only good from my experience . Easy to use, especially while using with a sail, i can secure my board by having a cable/rope through the handle...
+ I'm left handed and have no problem using the Liftsup
It would be nice if there were alt handle but I personally don't see why They should get ride off it

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal