Author Topic: Suggestion for Sunova, get rid of the LIFTSUP handle.  (Read 43706 times)

supthecreek

Re: Suggestion for Sunova, get rid of the LIFTSUP handle.
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2016, 07:58:45 PM »
I surfed all winter on a number of different Sunova's and always got by.
I found that I just needed to stick my index finger into the finger slot...then pull my finger straight up fast.
The surface tension of my glove against the handle would be enough to "Pop" the handle up.

Before I got to the shorebreak, I would pop it up, so I could grab the board and run for my life!
It did help to have a handle that was sticking up and easy to grab.

It's always good to hear feedback and suggested options.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2016, 11:05:44 PM »
I hated every pull out handle I've ever tried. I'd never install one in a board and would never buy another board that had one. didn't know the Sunovas used them. Big flaw.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2016, 02:12:07 AM »
  There doesn't seem to be any handle that satisfies everybody.

yes, actually, there is: the blue planet one.
   and i say this for the 3rd time here only because of the huge pain in the ass the lift handles were in the two boards i bought that had them.  boards were fine -- and one of them was a sunova -- but the handles totally sucked.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2016, 02:50:32 AM »
  There doesn't seem to be any handle that satisfies everybody.

yes, actually, there is: the blue planet one.
   and i say this for the 3rd time here only because of the huge pain in the ass the lift handles were in the two boards i bought that had them.  boards were fine -- and one of them was a sunova -- but the handles totally sucked.

I agree, and to those who say you might hurt your toe with an inset handle, I'm sure there must be cases where people have injured a finger or hand using the LiftSup.

Injuries from either handle are extremely rare. What it comes down to is which one works better and is easier to use. Blue Planet wins hands down.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 02:55:56 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2016, 03:58:42 AM »
I've got a lift handle on the biggest and heaviest board I won and it really doesn't bother me.  But, gotta say the insert hand;e on my Allwave is great and the insert handle on my new JL B&B is even better.  JL got it right on the one they use!

8) 8)
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

supthecreek

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2016, 04:51:23 AM »
I got an Email from Tino this morning, saying that he appreciates the feedback.
He promised he and Bert will look closely at handle options for the future.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2016, 08:22:44 AM »

Great! I hope they decide on a handle that at least no one complains about.

While I think I would prefer the Blue Planet, I'd be happy with what JL is using. I have that handle on my M-12'6 and it's very comfortable.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2016, 08:29:02 AM »
The SIC handle is similar, and perhaps pre-dates Blue Planet's design. When I first saw it I didn't like the idea. I assumed my toes would soon be dropping into the bridged canyon. But they don't. Super strong, and light unless it's full of water. The big flaw is that I forget to empty the handle before I put it on my head after showering. Nice splash of saltwater. Gee, thanks.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2016, 08:56:21 AM »

I'm surprised nobody in China knocked off my handle. It would make my life easier if I could buy them for $5.00 rather than make them 😜

The knee jerk reaction to it (sometimes) is it only works from one side. Not true. The advantage of only one hole for your toes is a big deal.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2016, 10:08:45 AM »

I'm surprised nobody in China knocked off my handle. It would make my life easier if I could buy them for $5.00 rather than make them

The knee jerk reaction to it (sometimes) is it only works from one side. Not true. The advantage of only one hole for your toes is a big deal.

I found your handle online and posted it here a while back. I didn't know that was you who made them. Apparently you didn't see it because you probably would have responded.

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,30631.msg333002.html#msg333002

« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 10:13:45 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2016, 02:26:22 PM »
No handle will ever be perfect for every situation, it becomes a Goldilocks argument, too small, too big, etc. 

For instance, I love the ledge handle on my Naish except when I have to lift my board onto the rack and invariably get showered with the water that will not drain until you or someone else is standing beneath it.  The FCS handle holds less water but is not as comfortable a carry.  The old Futures handle is made to drain when you carry it but is probably the least comfortable at all. 

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2016, 03:04:04 PM »
I would take the SIC and Blue Planet, ledge, and strap over the Liftsup. The Liftsup is plan D.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2016, 05:22:22 PM »
The SIC Easy Grab is numero uno for us - but holds about a cup of water.  Second is the All Star screw mounted hand grip and third the Bark strap.  Looks like the other grips work ok - but have not tested them firsthand.  The benefit of the handle vs ledge is that you can hoist the board easily over your head with one hand.  And basically do this every time we load singlehanded.  So easy and fast.  Strap then go right from the ocean.

If the LiftSup happened to close when hoisting overhead though - that might be problematic if there is nothing preventing that.  Normally we face the rack with the board in our right hand facing in - and rotate and lift so that the board rests on the bars and faces out on its rail.  Then gently lower the board down upright.  Many different loading variations of course - but for singlehanded this is really slick for us.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Mmac

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2016, 06:26:09 PM »
Handle type and balance point are SO important to the enjoyment of this sport. The wrong handle or balance point can make things miserable. After owning many boards, I found the Blue Planet and Jimmy Lewis ledge handles to be the best. I ride JL boards, due to the superior shapes, construction & handle. I'm interested in Sunova boards but have held off due to the Lifttsup handle. Hope they do change to a Blue Planet or deep JL type ledge handle.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 06:34:17 PM by Supdood »

GizzeeNZ

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2016, 08:59:36 PM »
Been surfing Makorori Point for 30 or 40 years.........you gotta walk a couple of hundred yards before getting to the point. Most boards you gotta sling over left shoulder or right shoulder. Sunova wins in my estimation (but what would I know compared to the newbies opinions)  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal