Author Topic: Suggestion for Sunova, get rid of the LIFTSUP handle.  (Read 43703 times)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion for Sunova, get rid of the LIFTSUP handle.
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2016, 06:49:21 AM »
Thanks Rick. Yeah, get Tino going on this. It would be fantastic if my next Sunova could have a nice handle.

The Blue Planet gets my vote.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2016, 06:54:26 AM »
LiftSup = one bad hombre
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 06:57:22 AM by freetobeme »
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2016, 06:55:13 AM »
LiftSUP handles might be great for everyone in warm climates

I disagree Derek but just my $0.02 so take it for what it's worth. I owned a few boards when I lived in SoCal that had these handles and this is when my displeasure started...no gloves/mitts involved. I don't rinse my boards after every use, especially once the water was turned off at the state parks in SoCal, and the handles would often get stuck or just be finicky. I have the handle installed on the opposite center side of my front foot now, another benefit of going with a custom. Rarely, if ever, do I worry or have an issue with getting my foot or a toe caught in a more traditional handle. Ah, to be Mo Freitas and not have to worry about handles and just tuck it under your arm...

By the way, this isn't a dislike for Sunova's and if I were ever looking to buy one (which I'm not), this probably wouldn't dissuade me if it was the board I was after.

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2016, 07:12:43 AM »
The Dave Levy 7'4 SUP I once owned had a LiftSUP handle and I only used it late in the summer (it was a total sinker so I needed the warm water since I spent more time in the water than on the board). I did like it when I would be surfing a wave and the handle had a flat feel underfoot (no place for toes to fall into). That was the only thing I liked about it. The LiftSUP totally sucked when the board was on the roof as the handle always would be in the extended out position and would rattle like hell when driving.
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2016, 09:13:43 AM »
   if he'd listened a few years ago when this was posted on the seabreeze forum, we wouldn't be having this discussion today.   ;D as they say, just sayin'  :) ;) :D

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2016, 09:46:24 AM »
The less moving parts the better. If I bought a Sunova or any other board with one it would be the 1st thing I changed.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2016, 10:18:46 AM »
Badger, don't forget you also need to replace the pad around the new handle, either preserving the old or totally re-decking. In my case it was time for a new pad.

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2016, 10:57:11 AM »
As bad as the Liftsup handles are it's not a total deal breaker to not buy a Sunova and I would not replace the handle in a new board. But that's just me.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2016, 11:04:46 AM »
So far, I kind of like the handle.  I can grab the board with it and flip it around really easily, and carry it out of the surf quickly.  I haven't had to put on my thicker, winter gloves yet, though.  I think the string thing should deal with glove issues.  I don't have to wear ultra big mittens, though, like the NorEaster guys.

Handles seem to be the biggest groan and moan pecadillo fest around here.  There doesn't seem to be any handle that satisfies everybody.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2016, 12:06:06 PM »
Badger, don't forget you also need to replace the pad around the new handle, either preserving the old or totally re-decking. In my case it was time for a new pad.

Your board came out nice.

I was thinking of removing about 1 sq ft of pad and maybe making a 1 sq ft template to fit inside it just to make it all level with the rest of the deck. Then rout out the LiftSup and replace it with the SupGrip.

Sunova pads are in sections and the spaces in between line up perfectly for what I'm doing. So I don't have to worry about unsightly seams.

It would be great if the original pad material is available. I could ask if Tino has some laying around. If not, I could probably find something that looks nice enough.

I just ordered two SupGrip handles so I guess I'm now committed to the project.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 12:37:15 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2016, 01:26:52 PM »
For the Vote I like the Handle but I live in Florida.  Not been any of these problems but I love all the benefits.  Easy carry to the beach and wind is no problem and doesn't rattle on the roof.  Love the Speed and the handle. Short answer and Post but Like teh lifts up handle.

I have some extra padding that I got the board shipped in and you are welcome to it Badger  Just PM me  I have Black and Grey.  You are welcome to it for free of course.

Mike

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2016, 02:35:43 PM »
Thanks Mike,

PM sent.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2016, 03:00:46 PM »
Happy to Help Badger.  Sending some deck pau your way.  ;)

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2016, 04:42:00 PM »
I have to start off by saying that I only surf in warm water, so gloves are not an issue for me, but I do empathize with those that need to use them. Having said that, I am perfectly happy with the Liftsup handle on Sunovas, and have two of them. I like the flat deck with no place to catch toes (I talked to a guy yesterday who said he broke a toe in a different handle design). Contrary to what someone said, I can pick the board up from either side; my middle finger pulls it out if on one side, and my thumb pulls it out if on the other. I only get to wash my boards off infrequently, and have never had the handles stick after two years. I would certainly not have any problem with Sunova switching to a different handle in the future since it is such a minor part of the equation when considering a board, but unless gloves are a big part of your surfing life, I can't imagine turning away from a great board based on a handle that works just fine for many of us. Heck, I still have two boards with the old slot handles, and those really are a pain compared to the Liftsup or any other modern handle.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2016, 04:54:28 PM »

You must have some small thumbs. I just tried it with my board and my thumb wouldn't fit in the hole enough to get the handle out.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal