Author Topic: Do Click-In Fins Cause Leaks around your Fin Box?  (Read 6159 times)

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Do Click-In Fins Cause Leaks around your Fin Box?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2016, 12:56:07 PM »
Like Bean says, I think it's going to take pulling it out and setting the box in a good bed of divinycell.

Ouch, you mean it wasn't repaired using divinycell? Think of any insert in a SUP the same way you would of a footing for a house. You need to enlarge the base of the footing to distribute the load. In EPS with is no better then a marshmallow, you need a good base to distribute the load.

I have a piece of 1/2" divinycell if you need any. Also I suggest using a chinook box and sand it with 60# or 80# grit sandpaper for better bond to the epoxy.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2016, 01:55:21 PM »
Let's not forget there are still a lot of 2 piece longboard boxes being sold. Avoid these 2 pieces boxes like you avoid the plague. You can spot these boxes by the bottom seam where it is bonded.

Futures switched to all one piece about a year ago, so we no longer have to use windsurf boxes to get a decent one piece.

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2016, 05:23:06 PM »
Like Bean says, I think it's going to take pulling it out and setting the box in a good bed of divinycell.

Ouch, you mean it wasn't repaired using divinycell? Think of any insert in a SUP the same way you would of a footing for a house. You need to enlarge the base of the footing to distribute the load. In EPS with is no better then a marshmallow, you need a good base to distribute the load.

I have a piece of 1/2" divinycell if you need any. Also I suggest using a chinook box and sand it with 60# or 80# grit sandpaper for better bond to the epoxy.

Thanks, Greg.  I would normally take you up on that but don't think I have the time to take on this project right now.  Gotta find someone who can fix this right.  Might be getting to a place where I just want to let go of the board but probably need to get it fixed beforehand anyway.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2016, 11:06:47 AM »
Area 10,

As we suspected there is not a special box to go with the new click in LB/SUP fin.

Given my dremel grinding adventures to get the fins from the windsurfing lineage to fit, and never perfectly I might add, I am curious if the FCS click ins are optimized for the US Box, or the Bahne Box.

There was a very detailed and comprehensive explanation of the differences posted here a while back. Methinks I will continue with my plate and screw. I cleverly  managed to damage a box by using a plate and screw from the,Starby (and others of course) in the other box! Oops! Leaky! NFG!
I can now confirm that the FCS click-in longboard fins fit a Futures box. They slso seem to fit others as claimed, although it is pretty darned tight in my Surftech Vapor (dunno what make of box they use). It will go, but I'd be a bit worried about the effect of repeatedly pulling it in or out. Once it's in it's certainly a snug fit though. I'll try it in my other boards soon - it will be interesting to know which it will fit and which it won't. I have boards by Naish (x3), Fanatic, Gong, Surftech (x2), SIC (x3), Starboard, Angulo, Coreban, PSH, as well as a custom. So that should give a reasonable sample to test the FCS claim that it fits most boxes.

I'll probably use the FCS Fat Boy click-in for downwinding, where putting the fin in and out is a necessary thing for the shuffle. But maybe only for certain boards where the fit is a bit looser. I've seen an instructional video of Jimmy Lewis happily banging a fin in with a mallet with abandon, but it makes me wince when I do it - or have to use a mallet to remove one.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill