Author Topic: Red Bull Heavy Water on for OB...Oct 17th - 28th  (Read 19031 times)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Red Bull Heavy Water on for OB...Oct 17th - 28th
« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2016, 12:15:10 PM »
What length boards were people on?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2016, 01:36:33 PM »
Kai's poise in interviews is amazing. Fantastic job. No hesitation and he answered every question completely. That takes a lot of practice and coaching, I wonder who helped him with that?
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2016, 02:43:01 PM »
The thing that gets me about these kind of back and forth through the big surf races, is the boards they use. Seriously, They could paddle big 12' guns with nose rocker and do fine in the messed up distance part, but actually surf the waves with a proper board. I guess trying to surf big waves with a board that is not designed to surf big waves is more fun to watch. Maybe they should ramp it up at Maverick's and have those guys try to surf it with 14' race boards? Now that would be great to watch.........live... 3 days after it happened.

Looks as though at least one person at OB had the same thought on board size & shape choice ....
....from the 5:30 mark of Clay's full clip in the link he provided.

Great Video Clay!!!!!

Small World SUP Story:  The aberrant surfer was Mark Alfaro.  He was the only local surfer invited to 'compete' in the Red Bull event because it was supposed to be part of the SUP tour.  He is very, very good.  Our local version of Luke Skywalker on a SUP. 

And yes it was a Coreban 12'6" because Mark was using Wade's board.  Mark would have the knowledge that a more surf oriented shape would work well at OB.  I suspect this because he has access via Jeff Clark and others to any race board he would have wanted.  Then again he just grabbed the board from his garage. 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 02:45:14 PM by Beasho »

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2016, 09:51:36 AM »
I   ran  into  Zane  at  the  beach  here  in  Maui  and  he  said  that  they  were  going  to  run  the  race  the  prior  day  but  didn't  because  the  video  crew  didn't  show  up . he  said  the  waves  were  twice  as  big  and  only  he  and  Conner  got  out  when  they  practiced 

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2016, 10:07:08 AM »
woops

as if they (the video crew) were useful the next day. I mean, how hard is it these days to throw something online. Especially a stones throw from Silicon Valley.

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2016, 11:53:52 AM »
That or the surf was simply too big to hold the event. Wouldn't have been too good for Red Bull if their guy couldn't get out after all the buildup.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2016, 10:54:19 AM »
Received this from the waterman league:

https://youtu.be/WSTIYCfQZAI

Cool to see all the different camera angles
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2016, 11:44:32 AM »
@ digger71, Dusk Patrol, SaMoSUP, Beasho  thanks for the feedback on the my video!  Helpful to read the comments, I appreciate it.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2016, 11:08:59 AM »
Kai's poise in interviews is amazing. Fantastic job. No hesitation and he answered every question completely. That takes a lot of practice and coaching, I wonder who helped him with that?

Dad

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal