General > Environment

Californians - Vote YES on Prop 67

(1/2) > >>

Fog City Rider:
Link to a short article I wrote about if anyone would like to learn more - https://sandiego.surfrider.org/2016/09/02/prop-67-65-how-to-save-the-bag-ban-this-november/

cruzanboard:
Getting tired of this one.
Im on the water a lot, rivers, lakes, oceans. Like the rest of you.
I DONT see many bags in the water.
I DO see, cans, bottles, take out boxes & other stuff. (particularly on water with small motorboats).

If the green agenda is aiming at litter-trash, shouldn't they be looking at the other stuff?
Outlaw all of it and no more litter.

Im not against good green policy. I just dont see the 'plastic bags = water pollution' a factual reality.
Banning bags and other plastics to reduce GHG? Another matter.

stoneaxe:
I see it all, and you have to start somewhere. Banning single use plastic bags is not a bad thing. Next...shoot anyone throwing their cigarette butts on the ground..... :P

PonoBill:
I wouldn't shoot them, just make them eat it. Or do as authorities in Singapore did when the manager of the Ferrari team tossed a butt on the ground. He was in jail for six hours before enough pull was arranged to get him sprung. Otherwise he would probably have been caned.

SlatchJim:
At an early age my mother instilled in me a vile hatred for littering.  I work at a recycling facility and hazardous waste services company responsible for a significant amount of new law on recycling and waste disposal.  I also spend my mornings walking my dog and picking up litter in my neighborhood. The bag law is a good start, and bringing your own bag just requires a hair more planning. I'd like to suggest a couple "next steps."

Eliminate food packaging that leaves the restaurant. In effect this would stop "fast food" drive through and force eating in the restaurant, but (according to my guesstimation) about half the litter I see in the neighborhood is from this source. Extrapolating to the people who responsibly throw there waste paper and cups in the trash, that's a hell of a lot of waste.  Bring your own cups or use the restaurant's. No waste leaving.

Candy wrappers are the second most collected waste I see in the hood.  I don't know how to fix this one easily, other than convincing people that candy probably isn't doing them any favors.  If you could work that one for the win win, that would be a coup.

Enact Singaporean law for littering (and tagging) - Create jobs for cane manufacturers.  ;D

Just some thoughts before voting.  I'd love to have seen my last plastic bag floating by at Doheny.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version