Author Topic: Finally Joining the L41 Tribe  (Read 8781 times)

surfshaver

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Finally Joining the L41 Tribe
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2016, 09:16:38 AM »
Thanks guys!

Jeff, I wasn't sure about the layup choices.  Kirk told me that the triax carbon wrap seemed to protect the rails pretty well so i figured I'd go with that choice instead of getting the full carbon rails.  I wanted to try to keep it light while being somewhat durable.  I'm guessing the carbon/innegra weave with full carbon rails (I think that's what you have) is stronger, but heavier.  Maybe I should done that.  Hopefully it'll hold up ok!

surfshaver

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2016, 09:20:50 AM »
Jeff,  I have a question about fins.  From what I've read, many people have switched out the stock fins in favor of different fins, often bigger ones.  Do you find that bigger fins give you more drive?  And can you recommend any fin sets?

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2016, 09:40:19 AM »
Don't get us going on fins  :o

How did the weekend turn out?  Did you and Jim catch any waves?  He suggested you were looking forward to the forecast for 15 - 22 ft :)

surfshaver

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2016, 10:17:28 AM »
Haha Denton!  I fully accept the "Socal softie" label I get from Jim.  He told me not to come up due to the storm conditions.  I checked the Steamer Cam on Saturday and it looked pretty brutal.  If you were out, let me know how it went.  I had a fun session down here.  Looks like Jim is tied up this weekend so I think I'll be coming up for Halloween.  Hopefully we'll get some waves.

Cheers,

Alex

mtnbkr

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2016, 06:24:12 PM »
Fins are very personal. I ended up with the biggest all glass fins I had in my stash. Fronts are old PSH large the backs are quad controllers. For overhead days I through in a nubster. I found fins with flex just didn't work for me, to unpredictable.

The stock fins are work well for my 120lb wife on her 7'4" 90L

Jeff,  I have a question about fins.  From what I've read, many people have switched out the stock fins in favor of different fins, often bigger ones.  Do you find that bigger fins give you more drive?  And can you recommend any fin sets?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2016, 08:20:59 AM »
Yikes, I just felt a sharp sting in my wallet looking at your board.

I'm still using the Controllers that Kirk supplied with my L41. I tried bigger, looking for stability, and I hated, hated, hated them. They slowed the board and made the turns...  ...funky? Moved the turn radius from under my feet to the tail. Felt like driving a forklift.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2016, 09:21:54 AM »
I really liked the Controllers Kirk sent with my L41 ST.  I don't know the theory, but they felt really good on that wide tail. 
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

surfshaver

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2016, 05:04:42 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, guys.  I think I'll start out with the stock controller fins and get a nubster for when its overhead.

surfshaver

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2016, 08:02:31 AM »
Gents-- I haven't had enough time on the board for a real ride report, but wanted to give first impressions.

Last week I drove from Santa Monica to Santa Cruz to pick up the board and see an old friend who's a Nor Cal surfer.  I knew the swell was going to be big so I took my 9.2 JL Stun Gun.  Friday the swell was 15 feet at 15 seconds.  It was my first time surfing Steamer Lane and Middle Peak was pushing 20 foot faces on the sets.  I hung around the statue and dodged the massive walls of whitewater pushing on the inside reefs and managed to ride a couple. 

A 3 hour session and then lunch where we met up with Beasho and talked board design as he's getting a new sup gun shaped by Stretch.

Then my buddy says we're going for session #2 -- and why don't I take out my new board.  Big mistake.  I was already tired and dehydrated and I was stepping down to a 7'10".  With so much water moving around, I could barely stand on the board much less catch waves.  I felt embarrassed and chastened-- maybe I bit off more than I could chew with this board.

Second try this Wednesday-- took it out to my favorite reef break in south Ventura with pristine conditions and 6-10 foot faces.  Night and day difference.  I was able to paddle the board and while I still had some trouble catching waves -- managed to snag a few overhead sets.

Whooo!  I get why people like these boards.  Fast, fast fast and I was able to take fairly steep drops with control and make sections.  Got a little feel for turning but have much more to learn here.

I basically went from worried I did the wrong thing to stoked in one session.  The waves I rode Wednesday were at the high end size wise from what I was planning on riding with this board, so I'm optimistic that it will only get better from here.

Will come back with thoughts after a few more sessions.

PS the board came with the Lost Controllers and they seem to work fine.  I bought a Nubster and will try it out.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill