Author Topic: Beginning SUP - Chronicles of Remickulous  (Read 20532 times)

Remickulous

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Beginning SUP - Chronicles of Remickulous
« on: October 05, 2016, 03:58:37 PM »
~ 70hrs on the water, and after getting back from watching my first SUP event (Pacific Paddle Games), I thought this might be a good time to do some rambling about what I've learned so far. I'm known to be verbose with bursts of loquacious, so if you don't wanna read, I don't blame you. But maybe this might help some newer folks out there. Here goes:

Relevant info - I live in the Pacific NorthWest, 48yr old dude, 70" tall, 240lbs. I've broken 4 vertebrae in my back, dislocated my left shoulder 4 times, Level 2 separation of my right shoulder (clavicle sticks out noticeably), broken arch in my right foot that healed wrong so the bone sticks out a bit there, too, and many other injuries over the years. I'm a veteran of SOCOM with PTSD, ADHD, and TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury). I'm a hot mess, lemme tell ya, and there are guys & gals on this forum with far more serious limitations than I have that do a LOT more than I'm doing with SUP - that's the beauty of this sport!

I'm also an engineer and like having all the right answers before I do stuff, so I research a lot...and I mean, A LOT. Know what I found? There's WAY too much info, opinion, and variables out there for me to make sense of it all before getting started, so I did the best I could. I've wasted some money, but nothing terrible so far. Here's how it went down:

• My wife decided we should try SUP with inflatables for ease of transport & storage. I bought a 12'6" Isle iSUP on Amazon (-$800), the wife bought a 10'8" Costco iSUP. I didn't like the Isle because it was a noodle in the middle when I stood on it, and the wife's didn't, so I sent the Isle board back (+$800), and bought another Costco iSUP for myself (-$500).
  • After about 10hrs on the water I found that the Costco iSUP sucked upwind, and was still a lot tippy-er than I liked, and I just HAD to find out what a hard board felt like. That's when I joined this site ($0) and started getting a LOT of info on boards from the awesome people here.
  • I had no idea what hard boards would feel like, what all the details would translate to when I'm standing on it in various conditions. After getting some great input from retailer dudes like JimK and Robert Stehlik on this site, I demo'd a few universal surf shaped boards at my local shop that would float me - a Riviera Original 11'6" x 33" x 4.875" (210L), and a Surftech 11'6" x 32 x 5" (238L). I could hardly believe how stable it was compared to the iSUPs I had tried!
  • I returned the Costco iSUP (+$500) and bought the Surftech because it is pretty heavy duty (-$950), which created a bit of a stir with my better half because I didn't discuss it (read: I was selfish). I also bought a carbon fixed length paddle with 105sq in blade on clearance at Amazon ($150). That brings the total spent to $1100, after all the returns, and I just found out I prefer a smaller blade so I can pick up the cadence a bit, and don't strain my joints as much.

I will pause this diatribe here and pick it up again soon, but if you're a beginner looking for advice, here's some: 

1 - My wife's inflatable is sitting on the side of our house in SUP hooks in the shade, inflated, and we transport it inflated. This is what ends up happening with MOST folks who buy an iSUP, so the benefits of it are gone, and they just aren't as much fun to learn on or use, in my opinion. Great workout pumping it up, though :o

2 - It took me about 10 hours to get comfortable on flat-ish water, and I it would have saved me some time, frustration & money if I had gotten time on the water before buying my boards & paddles. Demo, rent, or borrow anything that might work, and it's probably gonna pay dividends.

3 - I got a lot out of just watching all the SUP videos I could find. Blue Planet Surf has the best info out there that I've seen, and it was a good investment of time. 

More later, but my stoke is high, and I gotta get to paddling - Aloha!
Custom 16' x 33" x 6", 51.6lbs, all the litres
Starboard Coast Runner (2012) 14' x 28", 38.8lbs 293L
Surftech Universal Blacktip, 11'6" x 32" x 5", 32.8lbs 238L
48yo, 215lbs, 70", Bellingham, WA

Love is never wasted

striveseeksup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Beginning SUP - Chronicles of Remickulous
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 04:27:00 PM »
Remickulous:

Loved this thread - and I'm glad I went with my gut and said no to the inflatable. Haven't bought my board yet as others have given me the same sage advice you just shared: try lots of boards and then try some more. I've got about half the hours on the water that you do, but even in the first 15 minutes on a board, I knew this was a lifetime thing.

Thanks for sharing your stoke, and your story. It's a good one.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 08:43:12 PM »
I enjoyed reading your post. I'm lucky my back problems have went away. Like you, I hunted down everything on the internet concerning standup paddle boards. My present short surf sup is my favorite.

Everyone goes through a learning phase. Glad to see you're still enjoying your's.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 07:28:08 AM »
Great post....I've always felt it is important for folks that are new to the sport to share their experience so that folks that are interested would have someone that has recently gone through it.

Also...thanks for your service. Sounds like we owe you.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 09:49:43 AM »
Good stuff Remickulous!

Totally agree with stoneaxe that new stoke, feedback and lessons learned are invaluable on forums like this.

Thanks for your service!

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 07:07:49 AM »
Love your stoke, it's good medicine. Stay wet.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 11:25:16 AM »
I'm kind of fond of inflatables because that is what I learned on.  However, if I got another one, I would get an inflator that would blow it up to 20psi plus without the manual pumping.

I have to admit, the first thing you think of when you get out on the open ocean is "What if this thing decides to puncture, or a shark decides to give this thing a love tap and leaves me floating around in shark water with a big piece of flat rubber?".

The inflatables look like they are getting better shapes all the time, I am seeing a few around SC that even look pretty cool.  One guy I see out at Sharks regularly prefers an inflatable ULI to his hard board.

2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 06:28:35 PM »

3 - I got a lot out of just watching all the SUP videos I could find. Blue Planet Surf has the best info out there that I've seen, and it was a good investment of time. 

More later, but my stoke is high, and I gotta get to paddling - Aloha!

Thank you for the compliment Remickulous, it's great to hear that our videos are helpful.  Keep that stoke!
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

Remickulous

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 10:07:02 AM »
This site is an amazing reflection of the wonderful people SUP attracts. Thank you all for the kind words & encouragement!

Here's something I think a lot of beginners might relate to, and even some of you hardened watermen may know something about...

FEAR - It's hard for me to admit here, but it's been something that has been building since I started paddling. Even though I grew up surfing & swimming in salt water all over the world, FEAR of water has been a sumbitch for me all of a sudden. After doing a LOT of thinking on it I've come to realise that I'm not afraid of the water at all, I'm afraid of the unknown. For a while there, each and every time I would get back on my board after a fall - even in clear shallow water - I would get the rising surge of fear that something was right below my feet just about to get me. What the hell?

Floating in a lighted pool at night with my eyes closed in 5 feet of water, same thing. It's not rational, and I don't freeze up or anything, but I have to swallow that fear even when I'm just paddling over deep water. I'm still working on it, but it has subsided a lot with all the exposure therapy I've been doing. I paddle 3-5 times a week and work on stuff that makes me fall in continually; I dive in from the board some times just to do it; I stay floating in the water and I RIDE THAT FEAR until it's not as sharp.

I have started wearing an Onyx MoveMent PFD every time I go out because it's just a good idea in the cold waters we have, and I attach my leash to the PFD for safety. I've also learned to enjoy the rush of this silly fear, because very few activities give me that rush anymore **laugh**

So, there you have it. If fear of water has been kicking your ass while you've been learning how to SUP, you are not alone, and it's not permanent. Don't let it keep you from getting out there! More observations that might help a fellow beginner:

4 - Bodyweight squats! I do at least 100 a day, and it has made an AMAZING difference to my balance. I'm going to add lunges & see how that goes.

5 - The agony of da feets. My feet cramp & hurt like hell for the first 10-15 minutes of paddling, even on calm days. I try to relax them, stretch the arches, move around the board like Robert from Blue Planet Surf advises, but I usually have to stop for a few minutes to sit down & let my feet just dangle in the water a bit. Any kind of shoes on my feet definitely makes it worse. It gets better, just keep at it!!

Love is never wasted

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 11:20:04 AM »
I had forgotten all about the foot cramps...once you learn to relax your feet and move around without thinking about it they go away.

You're not alone. My nephew has committed to paddling the CCBC on the 10th anniversary. He's had a lifelong fear of the ocean....I'll probably have to drug him.... :)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 11:46:28 AM »
Fear is a good thing. It keeps us in check and yet gives us something to overcome. I've paddled for  close to 10 years with 100's of miles out in the ocean by myself. Far enough that I can barely make out land. In fact I usually paddle by myself. I prefer my pace to anyone else. Every once in a while when I'm out there, I will get this brief wave of fear over 'what's beneath me'? A lot of water and marine life is the answer, and I forget about it soon after. One time a Humpback whale will surface next to me just to check me out. That's kinda shit catches you off guard and reminds you how small you are. A blip in the ocean. I would have never experienced that paddling in a harbor or a couple hundred yards offshore.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2016, 08:14:31 PM »
I have a lot of fear.  The ocean is a dangerous place, so fear is warranted, until you start acquiring a reasonable array of micro instincts for the changing situations.

The fear is countered by the amazing beauty and endless wonderment of the ocean.  I still have a thrill of fear nearly every time I go out.

I sometimes wish I had less fear, because I would attempt more, but it is what it is.

I see the reckless, fearless yahoos out there and I always ponder how long they are going to last and what is going to happen to them, but some people seem to lead charmed lives.

The internet blogs like this one do acquaint you with all of the accidents and injuries.  I know I am grateful for my orthopedic intact-ness after reading about all the s@@t, surgeries, infections and injuries people have gone through, they make my broken rib and twisted knee seem trivial by comparison.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2016, 05:10:00 AM »
I remember reading about the sense of immortality that young people have and thinking, ”I never felt like that, even when I was young!“ I always had a healthy sense of fear when I was doing something stupid. I still do. That probably explains why I've never broken a bone or seriously hurt myself.

On the other hand, pushing that level of fear can be a lot of fun. I did it a lot, but mostly with professional things — getting jobs and such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2016, 10:55:16 AM »
Great to hear you're figuring it out! it takes time and patience which you have.  Tip for sore feet - that's a sign that you're worried about balance. With the paddle in the water (blade flat at your side, 90 degrees) or lightly paddling, start to slide or walk up the board. Just little steps, a few inches. Doing this will get your feet moving and you relaxing. Be willing to fall in and now in late October, dress for the water temp (5/4mm wetsuit).  Your fear of falling is common, but like anything, the more you do it, the less of a worry it is.  Don't dive off, fall to the side away from the board in 5' of deeper water.  The Community Boating Center has a nice enclosed bay below the bluff there, great for practice.  If getting back on is a worry, practice in shallow water close to shore before you venture out further. 

Given your height/weight, I wonder if you would be better off with a 34" wide board. I'm 6-5, 230lbs (i'm 47) and as a beginner really liked a wide board for stability. Certainly it'll be slower but eventually you may upgrade to a faster board as your skills develop.  If you're past that and good to go on your current board, note that paddling is stability,  when you get unstable - paddle!  don't rise up with paddle above your head (human thing), instead get low and paddle, short quick strokes for stability. 

Good idea on the vest PFD, will keep you warmer too this winter. 

i'm in Seattle,  give me a holler if you have any questions, glad to help.  RC
Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

Remickulous

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2016, 01:25:57 PM »
I'm SOOO relieved to hear that I'm not the only one with some level of fear in regards to being out there. As they say, real courage isn't being unafraid - courage is doing the right thing IN SPITE of your fear. In this case, getting out on the water is the right thing to do!

Rob - I just received my copy of your book and will be reading it shortly. You have some GREAT insight into the sport, and our area! I get hot paddling most of the time, but after being out in high winds yesterday, I need to do some fine tuning on my wetsuits. I am going to try a 4/3 kiteboarding fullsuit I have that been way too hot for me while surfing. Maybe it will be useful when I spend more time in the water, like later today when I'm working on my footwork & such.

I will definitely be attending your instructor class, as well as other classes I'm sure! The freighter waves & Westport surf trips sound awesome, and my wife wants to do some gunkholing in the San Juans, so we will likely get to know each other fairly well **laugh**

I think your logic is spot on with going wider & relaxing, but what I have learned is that my fears are more about what's going on in my head, rather than just falling in. I find that the new, narrower board challenges me, but now that I have some time on it, it's even more stable than my surf style 32" all things considered. Falling in (safely & correctly) is fun, as long as you don't spend more time in the water than on your board, right?

Love is never wasted

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal