Author Topic: Kings SS Model Ordered!!  (Read 9674 times)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Kings SS Model Ordered!!
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2016, 06:43:03 AM »
I might ruffle a few feathers on this topic, but if a board manufacture knows shipping companies are handling their shipped boards very roughly, I think it is up to the board manufacture to put more effort into the packaging of their boards instead of going with the minimum of packaging and then hoping it arrives at a dealer without being damaged. Either that or find a new shipping company.

As an example, my Hammer weighs a little over 17 pounds and was shipped to me from California to Texas. When my board arrived at the FedEx shipping terminal, the box weighed 85 pounds. My board was "triple boxed" to avoid damage as much as possible. This is what I would expect packaging wise since I paid $2200 for my custom Hammer. I assume the cost of the packaging for my board was figured into the cost of the board and that doesn't bother me at all.

BTW, when I first saw the outside box of my board, it was a long and "rigid" rectangular shape with no bends in it whatsoever. In other words, it wasn't shaped to where it looked like it had the shape of a "curved banana". If board companies are using the minimum packaging, that is a bad practice. If it costs more, so be it because after waiting 6 weeks to build my board, the last thing I want to find at pickup is the board is damaged at the shipping terminal.

These are my last comments on this topic so if someone wants to argue the point with me, you'll be wasting your time because I won't be changing my opinion on this matter.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Kings SS Model Ordered!!
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2016, 07:27:58 AM »
30% of all boards arriving at a retailer with dings sounds pretty normal. Boards aren't really packed sufficiently well to consistently survive the journey. But if they were, they would be more expensive.

I'm not sure they would be more expensive because, I think, the trucking company doesn't always pay for the damage. The distributor or manufacture takes the hit.

A few years back, I was aware of almost every single board arriving with broken bat tail point from a big name brand. It was not the trucking company breaking them. They were so poorly packed, they may have been broken even before leaving China.

It was so bad the shop dropped the brand.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal