Author Topic: New Addition On The Way ... Hypto Krypto SUP  (Read 15194 times)

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
New Addition On The Way ... Hypto Krypto SUP
« on: October 03, 2016, 05:24:23 PM »
TW's "New Quiver Addition" thread got me motivated to give shaping my own board a shot.  I have a couple of different shapes I want to try but this is the one I decided to go with first.  Blank and CNC was ordered today with a quoted 4 day turnaround so I might have the CNC'd blank by the weekend (seems a bit hopeful but you never know).

6'-4" x 27.5" x 4.07" x 81.5L
Marko Foam 1.5# Stringerless blank.

It's a Hypto Krypto homage.  The Hypto has been one of the best selling surfboards in the world for several years now so I thought I'd try and make a SUP version.    Outline is a retro fishy nose pulling in to a rounded pin tail.   It reminds me a lot of my v3 Infinity Phoenix except with a rounded pin instead of square tail.  Bottom contours are fairly subtle starting with rolled vee entry into a very subtle single concave under the front foot which then transitions into a vee / double through the fins and out the tail.    The rocker is flat for speed but I added a little extra flip in the nose.    Deck is flat to keep as much volume as possible for a small form factor but I tapered the rails down to allow burying of the rail (similar to my current boards and the Hypto rails). 

Here's a render and specs.  Not sure I'll stick with the render colors for the glassing.  I am hoping to get it glassed in Future Flex technology to stick with the Hypto theme.

Home Break: Doheny
Tic Tac v3 (Hoglet): 6' 6" x 23" x 3.6" x 67L
Omni: 6' 9" x 23" x 3.75" x 68L
Tic Tac (OG): 7' 0" x 22.75" x 3.5" x 70L
In The Pink (Incoming): 8' 0" x 22.9" x 3.25" x 70L

Blackproject Surge S77 (Soft Flex Shaft, T-Grip, +0" OH)

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: New Addition On The Way ... Hypto Krypto SUP
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 06:01:28 PM »
I like it. The outline of the Hypto Krypto always 'looked' like a sup outline to me, maybe even more than the tomo vanguards did. I'm surprised it hasn't really been done yet. Closest I've seen is the Kazuma Mamo, and those only just started showing up last year. Do you think the shape would scale up? what would a 115L version look like?

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 06:50:56 PM »
It would scale but my only concern would be that the center of gravity and wide point might be too far forward.   

8'0" x 29" x 4.25" or 7'9" x 30" x 4.25" would be in the 115L range.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 11:37:57 PM »
Man, you little guys and you tiny boards  :P

don't mind me, I'm just jealous. Be sure to post a report once you get some water time in. I want to hear about how those rails work for you.

AndreasBreda

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 02:40:45 AM »
Im interested to see how it goes. What do you think on the stability of the board? I've notices that SUP boards with this pulled in tail are less stable than more straighter outlines which make you go smaller in size. Cool idea i think on the surfing side of things this should be a bomb!

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 08:32:42 AM »
I want to hear about how those rails work for you.

The rails I put on the Hypto are identical to what I have on my current boards and I really like them.  They allow a lot more volume to be packed in but are still nice and pinched to keep the board connected to the wave.   

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 09:14:21 AM »
Im interested to see how it goes. What do you think on the stability of the board? I've notices that SUP boards with this pulled in tail are less stable than more straighter outlines which make you go smaller in size. Cool idea i think on the surfing side of things this should be a bomb!

These are two of the main reasons I decided to go with this shape, to see how stable it is and how it performs (esp in small surf). 

I think stability will be OK since the outline is the same or wider than my 6-10 from 24" to 56" from the tail.   It is lower in volume than anything I have ridden so far (by 2.5L) so I do expect it to be a bit more challenging.

My main concern with the pulled in tail is how well the board will grovel since I have a lot of sessions in small surf.  A 19.4" tail (@12") is still pretty wide for a surfboard though so I have hope it will be a semi decent groveller.   I think it will kick butt in anything over waist high.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 11:49:01 AM »
Anon, what are your dimensions, for reference.
Very nice design.  I'm curious how stable it is for you.  You're almost grabbing a block of foam from the shortboard section to make this ride. I like the colors too.

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 12:19:49 PM »
Anon, what are your dimensions, for reference.
Very nice design.  I'm curious how stable it is for you.  You're almost grabbing a block of foam from the shortboard section to make this ride. I like the colors too.

Thank you.

I am 5'8" 160lb (w/ wetsuit), so approx  0.51 L/lb or 1.12L/kg for scaling reference.

Fanman

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 06:04:29 PM »
I had two boards glassed in Future Flex

Fanman

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 06:17:54 PM »
The board on the left done with the S-Glass and Vector is still going strong as new. The Future-Flex boards show more wear and tear and deck denting and rail marks. PureGlass did them for me, I think the are better served in surfboards. They have a specific Patton, that they said that needed to be followed, Carbo frame technology etc. I wanted to beef up the deck in the standing area with some Carbon or vector net and the said they can't do that in futureflex? So I added a deck pacth etc. 6 oz bottom, 6/4/4 deck. The blanks are the same Marko Foam 1.5# and I weigh 180lbs.
I hope that helps! Pm me if you want more specifics. Maybe they have changed how they are doing SUP's?

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 09:21:16 PM »
Great info, thank you.   I have been talking with Pure Glass about FF and your experience confirms some of my concerns.   How do you like how the FF boards ride/feel?

It would be nice to stick with FF for the Hypto theme but for the extra cost of FF vs standard glass job I can get another blank CNC'd :-) 

Fanman

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2016, 05:26:41 AM »
One of the FF Boards is 8'6" I made it for my wife. I really like to ride it on bumpy days or on slower mushy days for the extra glide. It does surf and feel really well under foot. I'm usually on a 7'10" or a 8'3" for reference. All of my boards are stringer-less and have a little flex to them. I have ridden the larger board 9'2" it's one of my buddies, and I could really feel the flex on that one, maybe to much? They would be better for SUP in my opinion with a carbon stringer and a little beefier construction. I think you would be fine with it on one of your small designs, but for the price there are lighter and stronger options out there IMOP. take it with a grain of salt  :)

surfshaver

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2016, 10:52:25 AM »
Anon, I have thought for a while that the Hypto Krypo shape might be a good one for a SUP so I'm following your experiment with interest!  As with all performance sups I think the key is maximizing volume for a given shape without going too wide which can slow rail to rail transitions, or getting too much curve in the planshape, which adds drag and makes for a slower board IMHO.  I'm amazed at how much volume you have for such a short board.

Fanman, I appreciate your input on glassing choices.  Happy to hear about your experience, as I'm about to get delivery of a new custom L41, marko foam 1.5# glassed with S glass and reinforced with XPC 210 Triaxial, a weave I that is heavier than Vector Net.

Cheers,

Alex

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 07:45:18 PM »
I picked up the shaped blank and am almost done with finish sanding.    I just need to do a final pass, especially on the rails.  I paid the extra $20 for the high res CNC so the board didn't need a ton of sanding.

Based on my before and after sanding blank weight it looks like I'll lose 1.5L of volume (I lost 1oz during sanding, approx 2% total weight).  Blank weighs 3.5lbs.    Lesson learned: when every liter counts add a little thickness to your design to account for loss during finish sanding. 

The board had a few voids when I picked it up and I put a few in while handling and sanding.  Any recommendations on filling these?  DAP F&F?  I might just leave them since they are minor.     

The back half of this board is all business. The outline, rocker, rails and concave look good.  The front is a little wide and chunky but this should provide some stability and paddling ability.

I read a lot about sealing the blank before glassing and decided I'm not going to do it (I might fill the larger voids I have).  I haven't sealed my previous boards and weight hasn't been an issue (<12lbs).     I also thought about painting the blank with acrylics but decided to try that out on another board in the future. 

So, if the surfs no good tomorrow I hope to finish up the sanding, get the fin boxes and handle locations marked and drop it off for glassing.    I still need to decide on color scheme and glassing schedule. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal