Author Topic: Beach Starts at PPG with Anthony Vela and Dave Boehne  (Read 2532 times)

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/larry.w.allison
    • Email
Beach Starts at PPG with Anthony Vela and Dave Boehne
« on: September 30, 2016, 08:34:08 AM »
Notice Dave Boehne is running a Ventral assist to maintain clean glide. The fin combo Dave is running in the pic: Allison Dolphin Pivot Keel at 56 Sq. inch surface area with small Ventral at 12 Sq. inch surface area.

http://ppg.supthemag.com/video/starting-from-the-beach-pro-advice-for-launching-into-ppg2016/
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 08:53:21 AM by ProBox-Larry »
Allison Race Fins

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Beach Starts at PPG with Anthony Vela and Dave Boehne
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 09:43:26 AM »
Even though I'm not into sup racing, I definitely enjoyed this instructional video with all the "tips" what were covered. And it got me to thinking (which in my case can be considered non-conventional). With that said, when I go to the beach with my 8'11"  surf sup, I'm going to try this method just to see if it'll work for me on my short surf sup. In my mind, it should work but I'll have to be ready for "Murphy's Law" if you get my drift.

Thanks for sharing this video.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 10:14:18 AM »
That's a great instructional Larry, Dave B is like a cat on that board!

NW, no reason why you couldn't do that on your 8'11"; I do it on my surf SUP's when I need to time the sets and shorebreak. 

One thing I've noticed, and it's accentuated by Dave in the PPG video, is that some of the better racers (including Candice Appleby) seem to stay down and glide for surprisingly long distances. 

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 10:32:54 AM »
That's a great instructional Larry, Dave B is like a cat on that board!

NW, no reason why you couldn't do that on your 8'11"; I do it on my surf SUP's when I need to time the sets and shorebreak. 

One thing I've noticed, and it's accentuated by Dave in the PPG video, is that some of the better racers (including Candice Appleby) seem to stay down and glide for surprisingly long distances. 

Bean, Not sure if you are implying that I am stating Ventral is better than single, Not so! But what I am Stating is Ventral is NOT slower along with added advantages compared to a single!
Allison Race Fins

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 10:45:08 AM »
By the time I got up on one of those things, the first wave of paddlers would be around the buoy.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 10:53:50 AM by SUPcheat »
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 11:19:23 AM »
Bean, Not sure if you are implying that I am stating Ventral is better than single, Not so! But what I am Stating is Ventral is NOT slower along with added advantages compared to a single!

I was not implying anything about the equipment, just commenting on the outstanding rider skills. 

English is a second language for me, but are my writing skills really that bad?  I mean, wtf...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 11:23:39 AM by Bean »

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 11:28:25 AM »

I was not implying anything about the equipment, just commenting on the outstanding rider skills. 

English is a second language for me, but are my writing skills really that bad?  I mean, wtf...

Has nothing to do with your skills my friend. I am just use to being attacked about multiple fins over the years until recent. I read TUNNEL VISION at times, my BAD!!!
Allison Race Fins

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 12:56:06 PM »
I was one of many early adopters when I did a twin fin conversion (with your expert guidance) a couple years ago on my Fanatic.  To me, it seems that the multi-fin approach is gaining traction. 

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 05:51:20 PM »
As nice as sit is to see Candice in her skimpy, with that pale, freckled skin, she should really be wearing a rash guard and keep that sun out.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 05:55:39 PM by SUPcheat »
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal