Author Topic: Art of convincing  (Read 5424 times)

Miss Adventure

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Art of convincing
« on: September 29, 2016, 05:28:33 PM »
I love SUP but my partner in crime (kidding about the crime part) doesn't really like it all that much. He can't put his finger on why he doesn't like it (he loves kayaking, surfing, sailing, etc.). Does anybody have any ideas on how to convince him to join the SUP party?

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Art of convincing
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 05:31:36 PM »
Yes get a SUP Buddy that is Male.

The jealously will drive him to SUP..
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 05:35:51 PM »
Wrong board?  A board that excites him?

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 06:00:39 PM »
Well, there are various of SUP. Does he like down winding, leisurely flat water cruising, sup surfing, touring for long distances, maybe exploring a nice salt marsh? We need more info about him.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 06:14:44 PM »
Yes get a SUP Buddy that is Male.

The jealously will drive him to SUP..
Ha!

But maybe he needs a male SUP buddy to compete with.

I'd suggest that you don't push (and I'm not suggesting you are), men aren't too good at doing what they are pushed into doing. It's all about a psychological principle called the "over-justification effect", if you want to look it up.

Anyway, maybe the pace is too relaxed for him (or you are too good for him). Or he needs the excitement of competition, or the thrill of danger or speed. SUPs are slow. If he likes surf, why isn't he surfing on a SUP?

But sometimes it just takes time. A friend of mine wanted his spouse to paddle with him, but she didn't seem interested for the first couple of years. Now, she wants to do it all the time. What changed? Maybe the sense that she didn't have to do it. Or maybe she just feels more confident doing it now. No-one enjoys doing something they don't feel good at as much as something they do. It takes time to adjust to ones own inadequacies. With the other sports you mention, is he better than you/more knowledgable than you at them, and with SUP it's the other way round?

Of course, there are also the more traditional ways that females get males to do something...

Yes, the promise of a beer or two afterwards ;)

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 06:55:53 PM »
You got me at beer
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

supthecreek

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 09:47:33 PM »
Trade him in..... I like SUP  ;)

The issue may have to do with 1 thing.
You said he surfs.... he may have a built in resentment.

Take him way away from the surf zone.... someplace with crystal clear water and amazing scenery.... zero wind.
Plan an afternoon on the boards, with good snacks, drinks....bring a camera..... if he doesn't get it after that, trade him in  ;D

devon_sup_surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 01:51:49 AM »
If he likes surfing- take him out in the waves  on a sup. Choose a day when his normal surf board would be less fun- when he's catching 8/10 of the waves he goes for and getting huge fun and long relaxing rides from small swell he will like it.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 03:21:55 AM »
Maybe what devon said. If he's a good surfer he might be better than you. Some guys don't like doing a sport where their partner is way better.

Maybe what creek said; organize a picnic to a nice sunset spot and jump on him. Make it about the spot and not at all about SUP (and don't talk about SUP at all). All guys like sex.

Maybe downwinding. A good solid one where he can catch glides.

With kids there are three tricks to get them interested in a sport (I've taught a lot of kids skiing).
1 don't push them. Only do it when they ask to do it.
2 You go out and have fun and wait for them to notice you're having fun. That's the way to get them asking. Make it a treat for them to do it.
3 Keep outings short so they stop while they are having fun. That leaves them wanting more.

Just remember guys are big kids.

And otherwise just enjoy your freedom doing SUP w your own friends. That's very healthy too.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 04:05:32 AM by yugi »

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 05:07:40 AM »
... just enjoy your freedom doing SUP w your own friends. That's very healthy too.
This ^
It's hard to believe but not everyone likes standup paddling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bunch of old shit

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 06:16:44 AM »
I think it's important to enjoy your differences.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 06:35:13 AM »
Yep - some just do not like it.  But why not just ask him why?  Better than guessing.

My wife told me at first - it was my board was too tippy to balance on.  Sorted that out straight away - and she paddles all the time now.  And loves it.   :)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2016, 07:35:26 AM »
If you're better than him he may be intimidated. Some people have balance issues with sup due to either physical or equipment issues or just experience issues. I can't count how many good surfers I've seen humbled by sup and then they never want to do it again
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2016, 08:09:37 AM »
Some people just aren't into it. I had a GF who went paddling with me several times and she just shrugged her shoulders and said stand up is ok, but not something that really piqued her interest. Some core kayakers around here won't have anything to do with sup period, and slam the sport. A few kayakers in my area have gotten into surfing on the river and running rapids on a stand up, but have no interest in touring with one.

Not sure what boards your BF has tried, but maybe he needs to get out on a few different models and find something that works well for his size, etc? I have been on several boards that felt like garbage on the water and I could see it turning off someone new to the sport. At least you can both still get out if he is on a kayak, and if he is running a longer kayak that is faster than your board, maybe you can up the ante and get a faster, longer board, which would equal things out a bit.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 08:26:19 AM by robon »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2016, 07:11:26 AM »
Some core kayakers around here won't have anything to do with sup period, and slam the sport.

I'll never understand people like this. It's like saying "I like broccoli, everyone should like broccoli, if you like cauliflower better you're a loser." Sad people.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal