Author Topic: Xterra 14' Camo board on sale to 10/2  (Read 1959 times)

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Xterra 14' Camo board on sale to 10/2
« on: September 29, 2016, 04:19:18 PM »
I'm not sure they ever sell at  $1500, but $659 is a good deal on bigger touring board.

14'x 6"x32"

Lots and lots of D-rings - these are pretty expensive and I like lots. Go-Pro mounts in front and back!!

I don't love the fin-mount, but I have seen glue-on fin mounts on the Net. Not unsolvable.

I think it would be a great first board for a large paddler, or a family (put kids or dogs on with you) board. Coiled leash too - nice.

https://www.xterraboards.com/collections/camo-camo-camo/products/14-camo-all-purpose-touring-board

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Xterra 14' Camo board on sale to 10/2-*Isup $659
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 09:21:49 AM »
Forgot to say inflatable

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Xterra 14' Camo board on sale to 10/2
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 01:34:37 PM »
I tried one of these the other day - probably made in the same factory:

https://www.amazon.com/Sevylor-Cimarron-Signature-Inflatable-Paddle/dp/B00N45BFVQ 

For absolutely flat water it's ok but beyond the the flex made it very hard to control. The pump that came with it was high volume and the board is rated for a max pressure of 12 psi. I would not waste my $$ on crap that performs poorly, has no resale value, and will probably wind up in a landfill but that's just me. 
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Xterra 14' Camo board on sale to 10/2
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 09:21:05 AM »
Weellll....................there is an entire section of Standupzone called "Flatwater and Touring".......

Given that it's 14' long, and pretty wide, and has a bunch of tie-downs on it, this may not be designed to be the best surfing board.

"Probably the same factory"? - based on what? Since you clearly didn't look at the site, and didn't look at the specs or what comes with this board (not the the "usual iSup" big-volume pump, the board is rated to 15psi, not 12 - no mention of accessories(paddle, carry bag) on your link either) , your review of some other board is not really valid - and given that you are an ULI rep, perhaps not unbiased? It may be you just can't stand boards that don't surf well.....but then you didn't try this board so why are you in this thread?

Resale -  I have no clue what the cheaper  isups re-sell for used - I would guess you might be competing with a Costco Jimmy Stix at $400 - so perhaps $350? How does that compare to the premium boards? Will they lose less than $350 in value in a year?

Myself - I'd keep it as a spare board to bring friends if I upgraded later. I did that myself just a few weeks ago - put a newbie on my 14' Xplorer. It's a barge - so she didn't fall in and had a great time looking at salmon in a creek. At one point she shouted "I feel like f**king Pocahontas!!" as the current took her downstream - how great is that?

This really doesn't compete with an ULI or a Red Paddle or other premium brands - it's that brand that will help get more people to try sup that otherwise would not. Someone who just WILL NOT spend $1000 (or $1500-plus) on a board.....at least, not at first....

So - it's the last day of the sale. This board comes with a carry bag/backpack, a not-wonderful paddle, a decent pump, and WAY more tie-downs than average.  If you are a newbie, maybe a larger person :D  maybe you don't think you'll be surfing, and want to go out and try paddling lakes and creeks - maybe you might try a couple days sup-camping and need tie-downs - I think this is a pretty good deal. I have been paddling on flat water and creeks on an isup for 3 years now (after a few decades of kayaking) and I have a blast. My boards might suck on waves - I have no way to find out.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal