Author Topic: Great video series for noobies like myself-- by Sam Ross  (Read 6171 times)

drfierce

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Great video series for noobies like myself-- by Sam Ross
« on: September 26, 2016, 10:24:28 AM »
Came across this today. Probably not of tremendous use to old hands, but lots of good technical tips here on pivot terms, braces, and improving paddling techniques.

https://www.supboardermag.com/2015/11/26/sam-ross-paddling-technique-series/
Naish Odysseus 9'8
SIC Bullet 12.6 TWC
Supsports Hammer 9'5x31

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Great video series for noobies like myself-- by Sam Ross
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 11:23:29 AM »
I'm not an old hand and I'm glad to see anything which helps a novice like me who is new to the world of sup.

Thanks for sharing the info.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 02:55:29 PM »
drfierce, good information is appreciated at every level, but new paddlers are always looking for tips that can help them!

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 03:33:11 PM »
I'm a fan of his older set of SUP videos:

https://vimeo.com/samross/videos/page:1/sort:date
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

Larry2c

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 07:20:35 AM »
I've been paddling for a little over a year and still find I have plenty to learn. When I watched the videos linked in this thread I notice that as the paddle nears the end of the stroke it starts to rotate to the point where the blade is almost parallel to the center line of the board. I have noticed this on paddlers I see when I'm out but it was much more noticeable in the video. I'm not sure I understand the benefit of that rotation - can somebody help me out here? Of course if there is a benefit, then I'll have to figure out how to train my muscles to do that (some days they resist learning new things!)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 08:13:05 AM »
I've been paddling for a little over a year and still find I have plenty to learn. When I watched the videos linked in this thread I notice that as the paddle nears the end of the stroke it starts to rotate to the point where the blade is almost parallel to the center line of the board. I have noticed this on paddlers I see when I'm out but it was much more noticeable in the video. I'm not sure I understand the benefit of that rotation - can somebody help me out here? Of course if there is a benefit, then I'll have to figure out how to train my muscles to do that (some days they resist learning new things!)
Things to remember as you paddle:

1.)  As you paddle on you right side, your left hand should be in front of your right shoulder (and vise versa when you paddle on the left side). This may feel awkward at first, but it's essential to keeping you paddle shaft vertical. This intern keeps you on a straighter path. You don't want to paddle with the top hand over the middle or worse opposite side of the board. That is how you turn. People who are just learning zig zag a lot because their paddle shaft is not vertical.

2.) The direction your paddle goes should not be only back. More importantly it should be down. So as you paddle your paddle blade should follow downward path. It should be deep by the time it lines up with your feet. At which time you cease applying power to it. Your body should be bent forward at this point as well.

3.) Your paddle should remain perpendicular to the length of the board the entire time it's in the water.

I don't know if there is anything about paddling that feels natural to me, and I've been paddling a long time.  Learning to paddle is a never ending process.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 08:41:27 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 09:38:03 AM »
I believe Larry was asking about twisting the blade a 1/4 turn on exit.

Here is an explanation of how and why:
   http://www.davidkalama.com/paddle-techniques-recover/

Yes, there are clear benefits.

Larry2c

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 11:09:13 AM »
Thanks Yugi and TallDude - the link Yugi provided explains the twist and a whole lot more. TallDude mentioned something I hadn't thought about but is pretty straight forward - keeping my top hand outside the board rails. I'd never noticed that in any of the videos I've watched but I know my top hand is closer to the center of the board.

Some new stuff to try next time out - thanks!

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 12:04:49 PM »
Larry,

Re: Twist:
if ever you chance by a crew shell when you are out on the water watch carefully what they do with their blades on the recovery part of their stroke. (or youtube it).

Two reasons for doing it. The elementary reason is less windage on the way back up front. The killer reason is to be able to brace while the blade isn’t in the water. A crew shell is so narrow if they didn’t do this they’d tip over. SUP peeps who show up on downwind and haven’t acquired this habit yet spend a lot more time in the water. The earlier you learn it the better off you'll be.

Re: stacking hands
Sam Ross does demo it very well on his kneeling vid.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 12:06:31 PM by yugi »

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 02:07:29 PM »
Twisting the blade on exit is called feathering the blade and really makes a difference.  This is a video that covers the feathering and you can watch the rest of the videos for more beginner tips here:
https://blueplanetsurf.com/news/how-to-stand-up-paddle-board-with-verena-mei/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcF8eUbBQe0

Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

samthompson

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 03:17:27 PM »
This is a great series for anyone entering the sport. Highly recommended, whether you use his techniques or not.
-Sam
Stand Up Paddle Board Guide
https://www.standuppaddleboard.guide

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 11:23:17 PM »
Super loose grip, fingers only on power phase, then close your thumb slightly in recovery. Helps reduce wrist and elbow pain and less stress on the shoulders. More info in this blog post, http://stokemagazine.blogspot.com/2017/04/paddlers-tips-for-how-to-prevent.html
Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 11:29:57 PM »
Super loose grip, fingers only on power phase, then close your thumb slightly in recovery. Helps reduce wrist and elbow pain and less stress on the shoulders. More info in this blog post, http://stokemagazine.blogspot.com/2017/04/paddlers-tips-for-how-to-prevent.html
Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2017, 04:10:00 AM »
You could say that again Rob. 

I also notice that A looser grip gives me a naturally longer reach.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 04:13:20 AM by Bean »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal