Author Topic: Hips and the drive.  (Read 17735 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hips and the drive.
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2016, 11:40:00 AM »
/
Because of the angle a paddle enters the water there is thrust available just in pushing the paddle into the water. You'd think I'd be hyper-aware of this since it's the reason I was trying to develop a wing paddle using the same principle as the wing blade for surfskis. I still think it's a good idea, but I digress (surprise, surprise).

Oy, you and the wing blade idea.  I was incredulous years ago when you mentioned harnessing the wing idea for a single blade. 

You big fat jackass.  Hurry back to Maui so I can set you straight on wings once and for all.  Holy hell PB, Jim Terrell would have done it decades ago.  The assymetry is where wings gain the 10%.  Both sides no can.  Get it?  Didn't think so...  The scoop at the tip is confusing you.  That's irrelevant.  It's the motion in the water. 

I'll borrow a V-8 and put a wing in your hands - on the water.  Just looking at a blade doesn't do it.  You should cross train in a ski anyway with your bad knee.

I get it, but a SUP paddle stroke where the blade is pushed steadily downwards in the power stroke develops some lift in the back of the blade just from the angle of attack. I still think that lift could be optimized with a properly foiled back. If the blade is just pulled back there's little opportunity for lift, but if it's pushed downwards in an arc, there is. I think my mistake was in lack of subtlety. Might never be a worthwhile addition, but it's worth fiddling with.

I'm working on getting skinny Larry. Soon you'll have to settle for just Jackass. If I get rid of enough visceral fat to be able to fold in the middle I'll take you up on that V8 run. See you soon.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal