Author Topic: SUPlift handle source in Florida  (Read 4851 times)

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
SUPlift handle source in Florida
« on: September 26, 2016, 04:05:44 AM »
Looking for a SUPlift handle source in Florida. Need it before next Friday so out of state is out of the question.

Looked all over the Internet and every source seems to be in California & Hawaii. I don't want to pay more for shipping than the item costs for 2nd day air.
It seems bizarre that even though Brevard county Florida has a huge surf culture/ board building community I find myself buying supplies from out of state 99% of the time.

Warning....Monday morning rant.

Word to the wise...I don't care how good your handles/fins/fin boxes/ leashes/etc are...how many write ups on the web...how many pages on you website giving your life philosophy, how committed or stoked you are...how your product is the greatest thing since sliced bread...if you don't have an easily navigated web site with a quick clear path to actually buy your product, don't waste our time. Nobody likes a tease.

To those that do it right ...keep up the good work...I support you whenever possible.

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SUPlift handle source in Florida
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 05:11:17 AM »
Personally that handle doesn’t make sense to me. I want something that I can grab on to quickly when falling off in rough conditions or jumping off in a beach break. 
NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 08:32:23 AM »
Chilly...I would prefer something else as too, but there are not that many options available. Either they are barely big enough to put your fingers in (Futures), or wedge up against and bite into your knuckles (FCS). Those are the only two that I have found to be readily available, I have both sitting here and they both...well...suck big time!

No decent after market handles available for the "build your own" group.

I considered the Blue Planet Surf handle but it was not available on their web site the several times I checked...at this point I don't want to wait another two weeks to get one of those even if it were available.

I was really hoping to find something decent ready to install but at this rate I'll have to build a handle myself as well.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 09:11:35 AM »
This guy in Cocoa Beach has a nice carbon fiber handle design. Maybe he'll sell you one.

Pretty simple to make. It's basically a box with a piece of paddle shaft.

http://www.supsurfmachines.com/thefishersfortmecom/2014/1/22/my-new-sup-handle-design

http://www.supsurfmachines.com/about/

« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 09:26:07 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 09:42:12 AM »
Badger...thanks for showing this...Interesting design, looks comfy ....if I'm understanding  this correctly, It is set up for carrying the board predominately from one side...and if you wanted to shift from one arm to the other, you would swap the board end for end.

He,s making some smaller surf shapes. I am sure it works great with 7'-9'....I'm not sure if that would be a good match for my 16'. I can already tell it's going to a lot more work to move around. Not by virtue of weight, but be shear size. Think I need something that gives more options on how I can grab & lift a board approaching 30 lbs.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 09:47:00 AM »
The homemade strap I have on my unlimited works great and was cheap. It's easier to hold onto. I can pick the board straight up flat and flip it over my head. You can't do that with a regular FSC type handle. Infinity did all their handles like that on their early boards. Then they switched to a thicker strap handle that screws straight into nut plugs they glass into the board. Just install two leash plugs, and have a short strap made for you at a place like West Marine. It's called sail webbing http://www.westmarine.com/webbing/_/N-1z13ehb . Most places have a hot iron they use to melt through the nylon to cut it to length. But they can also use it to double the material back on itself to make open loops on either end and weld the laps. Imagine looping it around your finger. That's the size loop hole you want on either end. The employee (who does sail repairs) made it for me while I stood there in the store with him. Then I bought a short piece of rope /string similar to the leash string there at West Marine and cut it into to pieces to connect to webbing handle to the leash plugs. My leash plugs are about 12" apart. You could cut in a rigid handle between them down the road. My strap has been great. I have no interest in putting a handle in at this point. 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 10:03:28 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 11:21:13 AM »
Thanks guys...more options to consider...Chilly not sure how I missed Blue Planet's handle on Amazon...I checked a couple of times for the SUPlift handle on amazon but never ran accross the Blue Planet one. When I couldn't find it on the Blue Planet web site I thought they may have pulled it off the market.

TallDude that's definitely  another option. Really wanted a " rigid in the deck handle" if possible. What would be great if it wasn't right in the way would be a cushy DeKine windsurfing foot strap.... Too bad...,

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 06:13:39 AM »
Sorry I did not see earlier - I could have sent you one I have. (???) ..but Rainbow Dist. in Indian Hbr. Bch. has them*. You may need to have a shop call for you..   

Jim

*Bahne Suplift  item#BHSUPH    ...also have FCD SUP handle.
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 07:01:31 AM »
To me the SupSurfMachines handle looks far superior to the LiftSup.

Personally I don't think the LiftSup would be a good choice for a long heavy board. I had a LiftSup equipped Sunova Search 14' for a while and it didn't carry nearly as well a proper inset handle would.

Comparatively, the handle on my JL M-12'6 is excellent. I have more control of the board in the wind and can easily lift the board over my head and spin it around when I need to without risking my knuckles.

I have the LiftSup on both my Sunova Flows. The boards are awesome but the handles suck. The small finger hole makes it difficult to get the handle out. You need to get your finger under the handle and pull up which can only be done from one side of the board.

Plus, it's virtually impossible to get the handle out with gloves on, which up here in NH is nine months of the year, so to solve that problem I have to pull on a string attached to the handle.

LiftSup is not a good design.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 07:45:23 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 09:06:35 AM »
Badger....Thanks for the first hand knowledge. Saved me from a bad experience with that SUP lift handle. Much appreciated.

Wetstuff
Is rainbow still on Tomahawk Dr?  Yea.. The whole closed loop of the surf industry has driven me batty for nearly 50 years of building boards on the side. At retail their getting 100% mark up and they still act like they are doing you a favor. Heaven forbid they sell you a handle, finbox or vents discounted a few times a year...the whole world would come to an end. 😝

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2016, 01:31:38 PM »
Sorry SF... Another lag. I lost my pwd. cache fiddling around with Safari - then could not get back in because I originally registered the wrong email address?!  Thankfully, our host, Randy/Admin, fixed it for me. 

Yes.. 131 Tomahawk Dr.    ..you also might want to look on Swaylocks for someone in FL that may have one.

I have a slightly less visceral response to the 'lift' handles; I prefer a really deep Y profile but am conditioned to these lifts now.  I get nervous about having my hand trapped crawling out in shorebreak (Broken: L wrist twice - R wrist once ..many years ago)  I spend a lot of time climbing aboard, it doesn't seem to hinder much ..maybe a little delay.  Like Badger, I'd make a little leash to pop it up if I had the stones to surf in winter.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2016, 01:59:52 PM »
maybe too late but you can get the SUPGrip handle through Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/SUPGrip-Stand-Paddle-Handle-Installation/dp/B012ERWUIG
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2016, 04:52:02 PM »
maybe too late but you can get the SUPGrip handle through Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/SUPGrip-Stand-Paddle-Handle-Installation/dp/B012ERWUIG

Hi Robert,

I just rented a board from you in Waikiki and your handle is the best one I've ever used. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a new handle.

Paddling Paradise

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2016, 05:40:49 PM »
Maybe to late, but I can get you one also. I'm Dan the owner of Paddling Paradise in Melbourne.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal