Author Topic: My Linx Mint 18 (Sarah) w/Xfce Desktop Environment and Linux Pale Moon Browser  (Read 3464 times)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Thought I would start a new topic since I use linux and I don't think any users on the Zone use linux.

Since I didn't like the direction Microsoft was taking Windows starting with Windows 8, I began looking into other computer operating systems. I looked at Apple's OS X and it was okay, but Apple hardware is expensive. For the price of one Apple computer, I could get two Windows computers. Then I found out about linux. But linux comes in many different distributions (distros). Some linux distros were for geeky power users and I was a newbie at linux. I wanted a linux distro which used a graphical installer instead of the command line terminal and was similar to the look, feel and acted like Windows 7. After doing research and looking at YouTube videos, I settled on linux Mint and I started with linux Mint 14 in the Xfce desktop environment. I chose Xfce since my two desktop tower computers were built in 2010. They're old but have lots of horsepower.

One is an i7 @ 2.80 processor speed, 16 GB of ram memory with a Nvidia GT 220 graphics card. The other tower computer is an i7 @ 2.93 processor speed, 24 GB of ram memory with a Nvidia GT 440 graphics card.

Below is a screenshot of linux Mint 18 in the Xfce desktop environment which you can see on my panel taskbar at the bottom of my screenshot and linux Mint 18 is supported until April of the year 2021. At the top of my screenshot is my linux Pale Moon browser. I've modified it "without using the linux terminal". Pale Moon is customizable within the browser and Pale Moon is a true fork of the Firefox browser. The Pale Moon browser should be self explanatory. The bottom pane of my Mint 18 Xfce is different than Windows or OS X.

The panel, from left to right includes the Xfce "old" Applications Stacked Menu (mouse with underlying X) icon, my Desktop icon, my linux terminal icon (which I've only used twice in 4 years), my red colored Thunar File Manager, my brown colored Synaptic Package Manager (where I install and uninstall linux programs).

Over to the right side of the panel, you can see my two browser launcher icons for Pale Moon and SeaMonkey. Then my Teamviewer launcher icon so I can help my friends with their computers by taking control of them, my Taskmanager and my Whisker Menu (blue circle with white mouse face). The difference between the old Applications Menu and Whisker Menu, the Applications Menu just names a program, but the Whisker Menu names the program but also describes what the program does. As an example, Banshee is listed in the old Applications Menu and it is also listed in the Whisker Menu, but in the Whisker Menu, Banshee is described as a "play and organize your music collection".

If anyone has any questions, just ask. You have to click on the link to see my screenshot.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc254/vkirov2950/Linux%20Mint%20SS%201366_zpsa0yptvfa.png

« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 03:54:53 AM by Night Wing »
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
I admire your fortitude....despite my early love affair with PC's and building more than a few of my own I just can't be bothered to screw around that much with them anymore. I just want to turn it on and do stuff not spend my time tweaking systems.
BTW you can embed screenshot from photobucket. One of the options for copying and pasting that photobucket shows already has the IMG tag in it or you could add them to the URL you posted by highlighting the text and clicking on the icon of the Mona Lisa (picture) in the post toolbar here.

[/URL]
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 07:08:36 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Thanks for your help with the screenshot info when using Photobucket. I had reduced my screenshot to make it 1366x768 but didn't come out that way. I'll remember that info though and work on trying to figure out why my screenshot was reduced to to 1024x576. It might be a quirk with this site since I cannot attach an attachment from my computer and I tried in both linux Mint and Windows 7.

Like I had mentioned before in the laptop topic, I'm not tech savvy.  ;)
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Photobucket does some stuff like resizing photos for web and such automatically. I've had an account for probably 10 years or more. Haven't used it much lately though. It's changed a bit and has some preferences that seem weird but it's somewhat flexible on what it lets you do....or at least used to be.

You sound savvier than me....certainly more patient.... :)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 01:04:51 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
A little over three years ago, I was what computer people call "computer illiterate". But my next door neighbor moved into the house next door to me and he owns a computer repair shop. He taught me lots of computer stuff and eventually I became what he called "non-technical" and he started teaching more in depth stuff. 

Now, when people with computer tower computers come in and they want to put a second hard drive into their towers to experiment with wanting to learn linux, I come down to his shop and ask them what they want to do in linux. If they don't play games or use any specialized Windows programs, I install a linux distro of their choice on that second hard drive, do the updates, configure the linux distro, install any 3rd party programs they want, install any linux drivers for their graphics cards, printers and show them how to use linux. I do it free of charge, but most people give me $40 for my time and knowledge.

Many people call back after a few weeks and tell my next door neighbor they really like linux and wonder why they never heard of linux before. In my case, if it wouldn't have been for Windows 8, I would never have started looking for a Windows alternative with regards to a different computer operating system. I just recently changed over my wife's Windows 7 laptop to run linux Mint 18. My wife is definitely computer illiterate, but if she can use linux, anyone can as long as they pick a linux distro which is similar to what they're running now in Windows and most people will pick a linux distro that looks, acts and feels like Windows 7.

If you ever want to try a linux distro, the linux DistroWatch website is a great place to look at the top 100 linux distros iif you ever want to try a linux distro. Mint is the #1 choice for linux newbies since is the most user friendly and easiest (in my opinion) of any linux to install and learn especially if a person likes Windows 7.

http://distrowatch.com/

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
A little over three years ago, I was what computer people call "computer illiterate". But my next door neighbor moved into the house next door to me and he owns a computer repair shop. He taught me lots of computer stuff and eventually I became what he called "non-technical" and he started teaching more in depth stuff. 

Now, when people with computer tower computers come in and they want to put a second hard drive into their towers to experiment with wanting to learn linux, I come down to his shop and ask them what they want to do in linux. If they don't play games or use any specialized Windows programs, I install a linux distro of their choice on that second hard drive, do the updates, configure the linux distro, install any 3rd party programs they want, install any linux drivers for their graphics cards, printers and show them how to use linux. I do it free of charge, but most people give me $40 for my time and knowledge.

Many people call back after a few weeks and tell my next door neighbor they really like linux and wonder why they never heard of linux before. In my case, if it wouldn't have been for Windows 8, I would never have started looking for a Windows alternative with regards to a different computer operating system. I just recently changed over my wife's Windows 7 laptop to run linux Mint 18. My wife is definitely computer illiterate, but if she can use linux, anyone can as long as they pick a linux distro which is similar to what they're running now in Windows and most people will pick a linux distro that looks, acts and feels like Windows 7.

If you ever want to try a linux distro, the linux DistroWatch website is a great place to look at the top 100 linux distros iif you ever want to try a linux distro. Mint is the #1 choice for linux newbies since is the most user friendly and easiest (in my opinion) of any linux to install and learn especially if a person likes Windows 7.

http://distrowatch.com/

With all due respect Night Wing, this does not sound like someone who is "not very tech savy". You are certainly way beyond any knowledge I have.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
I had my foray into Linux almost 20 years ago when the easiest way to get and install it was through the CDs in the back of the Linux books. I was especially interested in WINE, the Windows Emulator that didn't really work that well. Is that still an option on Linux? I figured if Apple has Parallels then Linux would too.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
@SaMoSUP

I can't speak for all linux distros, but I know quite a few linux distros have Wine in their software repositories. I don't use Wine but it is in the Mint software repositories. It can be installed through the Synaptic Package Manager or the Software Manager in Mint with a few mouse clicks. In my case, I have a few third party programs which I used in Windows 7, but they also have a linux version. They are Pale Moon (browser), SeaMonkey (browser) and Teamviewer so I don't need to use Wine.

There are some Windows programs which do not have a linux version and that can be a minor or major irritation depending of one's view. One of my favorite programs in Windows was a program named ImgBurn. I liked this program because it could take an operating system iso file and burn the info to a DVD disk. Then the info on that disk could be transferred off that disk and turned back into an iso file. Windows Disk Image Burner, which is the default disk image burner in Windows 7, cannot do that.

Since ImgBurn does not have a linux version, my choice was to use Wine and run ImgBurn under it or find an alternative linux program which could do the what ImgBurn could do. I decided to find an ImgBurn linux equivalent program. Because I like the Mint Xfce desktop environment, there is a linux program named Xfburn which can do everything Windows ImgBurn can do so I don't miss ImgBurn. And Xfburn is installed by default in Mint Xfce.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 10:41:15 AM by Night Wing »

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Just a quick question. Why would you assume no one here is using a linux distro? Linuxs in different flavours has been my main OS for a very long time.
I'm just curious. There are a lot of people on this forum, and I would assuming we kind of fall into all different categories.

Also you do not need a separate HD to install Linux...you don't even need to intall the OS to use it. Just make a USB and people can play around with it without installing, then if they do not commit make a dual boot and that can easily be done on the same HD, just make a quick partition.

WINE works fine on linux, but no need because a lot of games are available via Steam on linux as well.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
@tautologies

At my neighbor's computer shop, I hang out there and sometimes help out if he gets swamped with lots of business when he wants to fix his customers computers since they always want to get their computers fixed "by the next day" and that doesn't happen now if he has re-install Windows 7 and do all of the updates for them. Most of his customers are Windows people and I think it is 90% Windows and 10% Apple.

I install a linux distro on about four computers a year for him so one assumes the computer world of home users, the vast majority of these people run Windows. If one would take a poll for this site, I'd guess most of the people accessing the Zone site, they' will be using Windows and Apple in that order percentage wise. Linux is still considered a "hobbyist or enthusiast" operating system when it comes to "home" users.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
I install a linux distro on about four computers a year for him so one assumes the computer world of home users, the vast majority of these people run Windows. If one would take a poll for this site, I'd guess most of the people accessing the Zone site, they' will be using Windows and Apple in that order percentage wise. Linux is still considered a "hobbyist or enthusiast" operating system when it comes to "home" users.

I'm just assuming the people who needs help with their computer aren't savvy enough to install any OS and therefore you do not see that many in the store.
Anyways, I'm not going to argue, but I agree I think people would do well trying it out since its a lot better at managing resources than windows and macOs.

But I do think if anyone on the zone wants to try, the easiest way to test it is to boot up a USB stick. Nothing to install and easy to use.

SUStenance

• Waikiki Status
  • Unexpected Sweet Swell
    • View Profile
I've been using linux for years. Various distros (Fedora, Ubuntu, Puppy, etc.). I also cut my teeth on computers many years ago with Unix.

Right now I have Mint 17.3 (with Cinnamon Desktop) on an old machine that doesn't have the hardware to run the latest Windows, but mint performs great and is easy to use.  Actually, using it right now. The updates are quick and painless, and it has many free apps that permit you to do most anything you need. I've also had linux machines that stayed up for over a year w/o crashing.

If you have an old desktop or laptop your are considering updating (i.e., buying a new machine), I would recommend giving Mint a whirl. by downloading  Mint and creating an install disc. You can run it "live" of the CD, but will run slower than a disc install. If your machine can boot from a usb drive, you can install it there as well and boot, run, and install from the USB drive. Thet old machine will run great and have new life.

I would make sure you have all the data off your machine before doing any of this.

The only reason I have a Windows box is because I occasionally need to do some things for people and it requires a windows app.

So, I concur w/ Night Wing.

BTW, my 87 y.o. mother-in-law has an old computer (windows xp -- which is out of date) she uses for emails and web browsing. This is a candidate for a linux (either Mint or Puppy ) install. I am pretty confident that she could operate it using the email and browser app. The good thing about Puppy, is that it will boot off of USB into RAM, keep a "save file" (with all her "docs"/data) on the hard drive, and leave Windows intact. I already have it set up, just need to spent a little time "training". So rather than buy a new desktop, she have a machine with "up to date" software that will run well.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 12:25:21 PM by SUStenance »
9' Angulo Surfa
10' WatersEdge EZRider

bbqSUPer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I've used several flavors also over the years.  There was time I was way into computers.  Now I use a mac. (never thought I would).  It was fun back then and I'm sure it has come a long ways since I was playing with it.  My issue was there were never any solid music recording software.  Drives for recording interfaces were sketchy at best. Like I said that was a long time ago.  I'm sure it has improved.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
At work we code for Linux first then port. Most of us use Macs because they are easy but all the heavy lifting is Linux. Once you see what it can do you never go back. VirtualBox is a great way to play with other OS's as well without a reboot. Most Linux distros need so few resources they run fine in virtual machines.

Cool to see this thread here. Most folks have way more computer than they need now.

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Is there touch screen support in any of the Linux distros? That would be fun to play with.

Also is there an Adobe Premiere Pro/Final Cut Pro equivalent on Linux? I really hate how my Premiere Pro keeps crashing on Windows due to memory leaks. As if 16GB RAM is not enough for 1080p editing.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal