Author Topic: Dry Suit??? Ocean Rodeo???  (Read 28434 times)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Dry Suit??? Ocean Rodeo???
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2016, 04:12:29 AM »
I work pretty hard on downwinders and when surfing but like I said in an earlier post, I rarely sweat in the Soul.

In cold weather, whenever I feel the suit getting a little warm inside all I have to do is remove my gloves and/or hat for ten minutes or so and I'll be comfortable again. If that isn't enough I jump in the water. If I'm really overheating or getting cold, I stop and add or remove a shirt. That's all it takes to be dry and comfortable in the Soul.

It's important to anticipate changes in your body temperature and do what's needed to avoid getting to the point of sweating or getting cold.

I've used the Soul in temps as low as 15F and as high as 65. The suit breaths incredibly well.

In cold weather it's important that the clothing you wear inside the suit also breaths and wicks moisture. When it's 40s or 50s I often just wear my regular street clothes. On warm days, just shorts and a tee shirt.

I use the Soul about nine months of the year. I don't use it surfing as much as I used to, back when I had bigger boards and didn't fall as much. The fabric is not really meant for continuous submersion.

I think in most cases, if you find yourself sweating in an Ocean Rodeo suit, it's because you are wearing too much clothing or the wrong material clothing inside. If you normally sweat a lot in the first place, then you will probably sweat in these suits. There's really no getting around that.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 05:13:58 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2016, 01:46:17 PM »
Just an update on the OR drysuit breathability.

I went out on a river run about two weeks ago and the forecast high for the day was 16 degrees C, and it was 14 C when we were finished. It was warm enough that a light wetsuit probably would have been enough, but we ran a set of rapids and the paddle ended up being 2hours+, so I figured I would wear the drysuit in case I had to swim. We paddled on two rivers (Columbia, and Kootenay) starting downstream on the Columbia, to the confluence of where the Kootenay empties into the Columbia, upstream on the Kootenay river to the Brilliant dam, then downstream to the Columbia and upstream back to our vehicles. The paddle consisted of multiple upstream sprints to link Eddy's, ferrying across both rivers, and we had to portage on both rivers when we could no longer make headway against the current to link to an eddy. Long story short, it was a lot of work but one hell of a fun day. I wore a t-shirt and surf shorts underneath, and found the suit to breathe very well. I was definitely sweating, but I also had to work my ass off, and would have been sweating in a wetsuit or just my surf shorts and a shirt on this day. The suit breathes.

Thought I would give a heads up on the Stohlquist shift drysuit too. There is a major sale going on for the Shift on Backcountry.com and Amazon. Up to 30% off and free shipping. Canucks living near the border might be interested in these deals, and of course it's a great deal for those already in the States. Stohlquist offers a lifetime warranty I believe.

http://www.backcountry.com/stohlquist-shift-drysuit?skid=STO000D-RD-S&ti=Ojo6MTo=

https://www.amazon.com/Stohlquist-Waterware-Shift-Drysuit/dp/B00MG260Q8
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 01:57:34 PM by robon »

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2016, 02:15:41 PM »
I used my dry pants and fleece the other day - and they worked a charm to launch and load in waves.  100% dry and warm in the wind.  But still with only a light fabric top and Orbit PFD was sweating right under the PFD.  And I do not sweat much compared to the average joe - actually hardly sweat at all. 

So what I find works best is to wear a fabric top and waist PDF for max breathability in wind to about 15 kts.  It seems once I strap down my full PFD - it acts like a wet suit.  Because of this - we do not really go out anymore when it rains.  Just to much heat gets generated with Gore-Tex or any other WB membrane when we SUP.  Great for skiing SB sailing hiking or walking - but not for SUP for me or my wife.  But then we always do paddle at least 5 miles at a fairly high intensity.

But in sunny cold calm winter conditions this way - we normally just wear WP neoprene boots - board shorts - maybe a tee - and a waist PFD.  Allows you to motor and stay 100% sweat free.

QB - did those WP pants work for you?  Or did you return them?
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2016, 04:23:00 PM »
I try to dress as much for water temperature as I do for comfort. Even with air temperature at 16 dgC  when we went out on the river, which is t shirt and short weather this time of year, the water is very cold and paddling with only a fleece or t shirt and dry pants would be completely idiotic on the river when the water is this cold. I would be tempting fate distance paddling on the lakes too around here right now without at least a farmer john. The air temp can be 10 to 15 C, but falling in will end your day quick if you aren't geared up properly. Especially if you are hours away from your vehicle. No thanks. Not sure what your water temp is like right now Eagle, but the water is too cold this time of year for me to not have at least some form of torso and leg neoprene protection.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 04:26:46 PM by robon »

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2016, 04:39:01 PM »
I used my dry pants and fleece the other day - and they worked a charm to launch and load in waves.  100% dry and warm in the wind.  But still with only a light fabric top and Orbit PFD was sweating right under the PFD.  And I do not sweat much compared to the average joe - actually hardly sweat at all. 

So what I find works best is to wear a fabric top and waist PDF for max breathability in wind to about 15 kts.  It seems once I strap down my full PFD - it acts like a wet suit.  Because of this - we do not really go out anymore when it rains.  Just to much heat gets generated with Gore-Tex or any other WB membrane when we SUP.  Great for skiing SB sailing hiking or walking - but not for SUP for me or my wife.  But then we always do paddle at least 5 miles at a fairly high intensity.

But in sunny cold calm winter conditions this way - we normally just wear WP neoprene boots - board shorts - maybe a tee - and a waist PFD.  Allows you to motor and stay 100% sweat free.

QB - did those WP pants work for you?  Or did you return them?

Hi Eagle,

Bit of a long story on the pants and the dry suit. I bought the pants and then tried them in combination with a light, semi dry top / rain top I have. I jumped in the water with this combination and while I knew I would get water in my neck I didn’t anticipate the water I would get in through the waist of the pants. I thought the combination of the tight waist of the pants and the overlapping waist of the jacket might prevent that but no such luck. Should say I wasn’t soaking wet, but still wet none the less. So I was all set to return the pants. Even had them in the car and drove to MEC. But I decided to keep them. I just hate returning good gear and thought even if I did get a dry suit that I might still use them. And in fact I have.

I ended up getting the Ocean Rodeo “Heat” dry suit. It is their cheapest dry suit and they had it on sale, so I got it for $100 off their regular price. If I remember correctly it cost $599. So I got a pretty decent dry suit for $600. Really can’t beat that. Have been out with it a couple of times and quite like it. Still need to get the neck gasket dialed in though. Have trimmed it once but it might need one more trimming. As I said I’ve only used it a couple of times now, but one of those times was in the pouring rain and I found it really nice for those conditions.

And I find I still do use the dry pants. If it’s not raining and the conditions are good, I’ll just put on the dry pants and a fleece top and I’m good to go. So I’ve found that I do in fact have a use for both pieces of gear.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2016, 05:27:37 PM »
robon - ocean vancouver water temps vary only 4 deg C all year.  Lows of 7 and highs of 11.  So temps are very moderate even in winter.  The past few winters we paddle in the sun for an hour or so.  Even when air temps are zero.  When out in the sun it warms up a few degrees and it actually gets hot.  Haha.  In docile conditions we have never even been close falling in - ever.  But was just thinking today with the AS23 - might be a bit dangerous this year.  Haha.  Even if I fell in - no big deal.  Once I start going full speed I warm up quick.

But up in Squamish - completely different.  Fall in up there and have a problem -> hypothermia city.  So much more cautious up there when on a DW run.  Into Britannia - not so bad - because it is about half the distance.  But if was paddling where you and QB paddle - would definitely get a full dry suit.

QB - yeah very nice having that as an option.  I use them when I do quick 2 mile out 2 mile back DW runs when winds are about 10-15 kts about this time of year.  Adds a bit of protection from cold water if you need to sit down for some reason.  Perfect for that sort of thing.  Feet and legs stay dry and warm.  Happy you found a use for them.  I really like them.

http://www.seatemperature.org/north-america/canada/vancouver-october.htm
Fast is FUN!   8)

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2016, 06:51:36 PM »
Makes sense. The humidity is higher too on the coast, so that is going to make it feel even warmer as well. I was going to ask about Squamish, but I understand the other areas being warmer and less exposed, so not as much gear would need to be worn. When I was starting out, I would go out in snowboard pants and a rain jacket in the winter with a dry bag filled with spare clothes. Not the smartest thing to do, so I should take a step off my soapbox :) I'm going to look into the SUPreme line of jackets and pants for the warmer fall and winter days too.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 07:01:33 PM by robon »

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2016, 08:34:58 PM »
Haha.  As I am getting older I am getting less adventurous.  Been there - done that sort of attitude - in regards to risk taking and suffering.  Used to go on overnight gale force rain storm ocean races where if you fell off the boat - you would not be found.  Being tethered was a necessity - but still being dragged you would probably drown overboard from being slammed against the hull.

Same with really dangerous DW runs up in Squamish.  It is very exposed up there and the water is unusually cold even in the summer.  Not a place really for beginners or anyone not proficient at staying upright paddling crosswinds.  It is mandatory to plane and surf the board because 2 winds funnel up the inlet.  You need to position yourself on the run to take advantage of the wind - but not get pushed too far to shore towards the highway.  Otherwise you get slammed with full on 25 kt paddling 90 degrees to the waves.  Then winds shift 60 degrees as you enter the inlet.  And you are met with pretty big standing waves as the water shallows.  Does require full on concentration to stay dry.  But is great fun and has risk which makes it challenging.

For something like that I wear the dry pants - shorty - and shell if really crazy.  Or just board shorts - shorty - and rashguard if the winds are low ie. 15 kts.  Full PFD though and quality leash of course.  A full dry suit would work perfect for that as well.  But normally I am lucky and stay dry most times on that run.  But if there is too much wind I say forget it and just go to the pub.  As well I no longer do DW runs in storm conditions around Vancouver.  Just too exposed and dangerous for me.  We can get some pretty serious wave action and storm winds when major fronts bomb through.  Missed out - but the DW lads are a bit more crazy and still do that sort of thing.  Major adrenalin and risk junkies.  Haha.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 08:57:15 PM by Eagle »
Fast is FUN!   8)

PabstSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2016, 10:13:47 AM »
Has anyone had experience with the Starboard All-Star Drysuit?
http://star-board-apparel.com/blog/the-all-star-sup-suit-the-future-of-cold-water-paddling/ 

At $800 it's not bad compared to the others and seems a little less bulky, though obviously not as great a warranty as the Kokatat suits.   
Hobie Raw 8'11
Sunova Flow 8'4"
Sunova Speeed 8'10
SIC Bullet 14' ASS

J-Bird

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2016, 10:42:49 AM »
I wear an O'Neill Assault Hybrid drysuit to surf all winter in New England, and I'm always happy and warm.  Way, way better than wearing a thick wetsuit (say, 5mil). I stay warm and the absolute best part is I don't overheat, which happens a lot when I wear thick wetsuits.  The suit cost $400 and it feels like a nice summer day when I'm in it, not cold, not hot, but perfect.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2016, 10:50:32 AM »
Haven't tried the SB suits yet, but they seem similar to the SUPskin line. Lightweight and like a tracksuit. I would like to try the suits from supskin and SB. It would be nice to have the really light weight option.

I would suggest looking around for deals too. You can get last years OR Soul for 799.00 Canadian. That's a lot of suit for that price. It's also worth calling direct and see whats there. I paid well under retail for the OR Ignite. It was an out of the box special but brand new and they knocked a good chunk off the price for me. I have seen private sales for OR Soul suits online with tags still attached, for around 500.00 to 700.00.

https://oceanrodeo.com/kiteboarding/sporting-drysuits/soul-2015/?b=7854

New supskin for 600 OBO.

http://distressedmullet.com/classifieds/accessory/supskin-drysuit-700-obo/

You can get the Stohlquist Shift for 629.00 and free shipping from backcountry.com right now.

http://www.backcountry.com/stohlquist-shift-drysuit?skid=STO000D-RD-S&ti=UExQIEJyYW5kOlN0b2hscXVpc3QgS2F5YWsgQ2xvdGhpbmc6MTo3OjEwMDAwMDM2M19iY3NDYXQ5MTAwMDAxOQ==

It's nice to have a great warranty, but if you can save enough money to basically buy two dry suits for what it costs full retail for one? In Canada anyways, that's the type of money you are saving.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2016, 11:08:59 AM »
Starby drysuit is light like Supskin. I have Supskin, a friend has Sarby. V similar. The Starby color pattern is better IMO. It has a good cut.

mr_proper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2016, 11:35:08 AM »
Contact Wolfgang Leeb, the owner of Supskin. I think he sell his suits worldwide and for the price you get a tailored suit in color combination you like.
SIC RS 14x23, 2018
SIC RS 14x26, 2018
Lightcorp Signature Race 14x24.75, 2018 (sold)
JP Australia AdventurAir 12x36, 2017
Starboard Allstar 14x24.5, 2017 (sold)
SIC Bullet 14x27.25 TWC, 2015
Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 14x25, 2016 (sold)
Sprint 14x23, 2015 (sold)
JL Stiletto 14x28, 2014 (sold)

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2016, 12:22:23 PM »
I find the OR Rodeo best for when both the air and water are cold, or situations where you're only preparing for brief immersion, like when you're very close to shore. If you dress lightly underneath to stay comfortable in warm air, but then end up taking a long swim in cold water (e.g. if your leash breaks on a downwinder or surf break far from shore), the suit itself will not provide much insulation. In those conditions, I think it's better to dress for immersion and hop in the water whenever you get too hot.

Also, if you spend a lot of time in the water (at least with seawater anyway), the DWR tends to wash out, and the nylon will start to absorb a lot of water whenever it gets wet. The water won't actually penetrate the membrane and get inside the suit, but it will cause a lot of evaporative cooling when you're standing in the wind, which will cool you off faster than when the DWR is intact and the water beads up and runs off you as soon as you stand up on the board. This is why, as Badger mentioned, the suit may not be well-suited for surfing except in conditions where you can stay on your board most of the time.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2016, 01:47:37 PM »
Call me an Ocean Rodeo fan boy, but some of these comments are very misleading. One of the most common comments about ANY paddling drysuit after cold water immersion, is how quickly you feel the cold. Especially if you are wearing minimal clothing underneath. It's also very common to feel the cold in a drysuit in windy conditions if you aren't layered up underneath. Doesn't matter what brand it is. A rule of thumb in the paddling world is dressing for the plunge/immersion (as mentioned), not air temperature. If you think you are going to get proper insulation from a dry suit just wearing a basic under layer after continuous cold water immersion, and/or cold winds, then think again. It's simply not happening.

You don't buy a suit like the Ignite, with staying close to shore in mind, and the light weight track suit offerings out right now are not heavy duty drysuits, and will really offer no more insulation or durability. There is simply nothing to these suits, and when you see them in person you will know exactly what I mean. There is an application for all of these suits, but peeps are using the OR Ignite for extended open water paddling sessions on both Kayaks and SUPs. If you are immersed in the water so often that the "DWR" starts to take on some water over time, then reapply. It's pretty basic and not rocket surgery.

Sorry, I just gotta call a spade here. There are draw backs to OR, and I think there are some great suits out there, so try everything you can, and do a lot of research. I just don't want to see people going out to buy a drysuit with the intention of having good insulation without a proper base layer on underneath, because most will come away very disappointed and possibly won't come back period.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 02:18:30 PM by robon »

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard