Author Topic: Dry Suit??? Ocean Rodeo???  (Read 28295 times)

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Dry Suit??? Ocean Rodeo???
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2016, 11:02:58 PM »
I went out today and got the Kokatat Hydra pants that Eagle mentioned in an earlier post. I am hoping to be able to pair them up with my light dry top and try them out next week. If I do get the chance, I’ll report back on how it works out.

Thought I’d also offer a comment on the Ocean Rodeo drysuit vs. the Kokatat. There is absolutely no doubt that Kokatat makes great gear and furthermore that they not only stand behind their products, they go above and beyond as far as customer service goes. You can see just in the posts on this thread how that creates customer loyalty, and it should. And for a product as expensive as a high end dry suit, a warranty is important.

What is also important though, is how the product actually feels and fits when it’s on. I haven’t tried either suit so I have no idea which one I would like better, but if I happened to like the Ocean Rodeo better then I think that would be a difficult decision to make. And I have to admit that the “Standby” mode that Ocean Rodeo offers looks pretty cool. So in the scenario I just listed above, if you happened to like the Ocean Rodeo better, do you buy the Kokatat because it has the better warranty, or do buy the Ocean Rodeo that doesn’t have as good a warranty, but you like the product better? And even though it doesn’t offer as good a warranty, it is after all still a quality product. At this stage of my life I think I would probably go with the product I liked the best.

If I liked both products equally, then I’d obviously go with the better warranty. But if I liked the Ocean Rodeo better, then even though it didn’t have as good a warranty, I think I’d go with it.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2016, 11:24:01 PM »
Completely rational approach. I always get a kick out of bad pizza joints advertising lower prices. How much bad pizza does anyone want??

The warranty isn't a reason to buy, it's a tiebreaker. And a great warranty like Koketats moves a purchase into the "investment" category.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2016, 08:19:43 AM »
I went out today and got the Kokatat Hydra pants that Eagle mentioned in an earlier post. I am hoping to be able to pair them up with my light dry top and try them out next week. If I do get the chance, I’ll report back on how it works out.

Thought I’d also offer a comment on the Ocean Rodeo drysuit vs. the Kokatat. There is absolutely no doubt that Kokatat makes great gear and furthermore that they not only stand behind their products, they go above and beyond as far as customer service goes. You can see just in the posts on this thread how that creates customer loyalty, and it should. And for a product as expensive as a high end dry suit, a warranty is important.

What is also important though, is how the product actually feels and fits when it’s on. I haven’t tried either suit so I have no idea which one I would like better, but if I happened to like the Ocean Rodeo better then I think that would be a difficult decision to make. And I have to admit that the “Standby” mode that Ocean Rodeo offers looks pretty cool. So in the scenario I just listed above, if you happened to like the Ocean Rodeo better, do you buy the Kokatat because it has the better warranty, or do buy the Ocean Rodeo that doesn’t have as good a warranty, but you like the product better? And even though it doesn’t offer as good a warranty, it is after all still a quality product. At this stage of my life I think I would probably go with the product I liked the best.

If I liked both products equally, then I’d obviously go with the better warranty. But if I liked the Ocean Rodeo better, then even though it didn’t have as good a warranty, I think I’d go with it.

You make some good points Beam. I checked out both Kokatat and Ocean Rodeo, and went with the Ignite because of the versatility of the suit and the various options it has among other things. I spent around two hours at the OR headquarters in Victoria trying on suits and talking to the guys that make it happen. There is something to be said about going to the source and getting all of your questions answered on the spot, and I have no regrets supporting a grass roots company like OR. They have a very strong following for a reason, and I was able to talk to kiters and paddlers who were popping in and they were all very happy with their suits. I will still shop around in the future and check out Kokatat among others, but no other suit that I checked out in person had the versatility coupled with  functionality of the OR.  I definitely like being able to customize the fit of the Suit, and I love the standby mode. This and the little things like pocket placement and the jacket styling sold me. The good discount didn't hurt either for a brand new suit. If you are on the Island, pop in the shop and they will answer all your questions.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2016, 08:39:44 AM »
The standby mode is a definite sell advantage of the OR.  But my inclination would lean towards Kokatat if the fit was good and fabric was comfortable.  I went with just dry pants because my main issue was sitting and waiting.

The Hydra dry pants are not designed for full body immersion like a proper dry suit.  And a dry top can be layered but does not seal to the pants watertight.  We add a top when it is wet out.  The main benefit of the pants is the versatility - as you can wear a tee in the winter sun.  ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2016, 09:56:56 AM »
Do the Kokatat suits need to have the waterproofing replenished every year?

I'm treating my Ocean Rodeo Soul right now and let me tell you it's a lot of work. I do this every September.

Before waterproofing you first have to wash the suit with Nikwax Techwash and it must be done by hand. Washing machines are not recommended because the process is too rough on the suit. I wash mine with by hand in a tub. Once washed, you have to rinse it three times making sure there is no soap left in the fabric. After that you hang it up and spray a whole bottle of TX-Direct onto the entire suit and let it dry.

People in cold climates who use their suit year round probably have to re-do the waterproofing twice a year. Mine starts to lose it waterproofness around mid to late spring. I wait til after summer to re-plenish it again.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 10:00:51 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

SeldomScene

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2016, 02:36:52 PM »
I have had my GoreTex Kokatat for 10 years, and have used it in salt water, rivers and lakes.  I wash it once a year, and have never treated it in any way.  It is still bone dry. 

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2016, 02:54:51 PM »
My O'Neil Boost has three years of serious winter use. Bone dry. Never done a thing other than turn it inside out and rinse in the shower when FUNKY..

Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2016, 03:18:09 PM »
I guess replenishing the waterproofing is the price we pay for Ocean Rodeo's supposed superior breathability. I say supposed because I've never used a suit made of Goretex or similar fabric so I don't know how comfortable they are.

One thing about the Ocean Rodeo fabric is that it handles a wide range of temperatures. I rarely sweat or feel cold as long as I'm wearing the right amount of clothes underneath. Only during extreme temperature changes do I ever have to adjust the under layers. Usually, adding or removing a shirt is all that's needed.

I use the Soul for downwinders, occasional surfing and flatwater. Even though I've never fallen on flatwater, it's a good feeling knowing I won't die from hypothermia if I do. The Soul is also great for paddling in the rain.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 03:53:18 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2016, 05:19:42 PM »
Gore-Tex has quite a number of membrane variants that blend durability to waterproofness to breathability.  The DWR makes water bead up on the fabric.  And can be reactivated by throwing in the dryer or applying more DWR.

Generally the more breathable - the more susceptible the fabric is to abrasion ie. thinner and sometimes more supple.  Which often impacts on the "life of the garment".  Probs I have about 20 GT items - and about 10 non-GT items.  You need that many if you are active outdoors.  Have transitioned the rest of my family over to GT now as well.

The Kokatat that I looked at was quite a stiff thick GT fabric.  Every WP fabric I have does not breathe to my satisfaction.  But then most times - even without a tee - I am still dripping in sweat from the winter sun.  So I take my chances.  But have never fallen in yet on flat.  And the risk level is near zero being only a couple miles from land.

https://www.webtogs.com/en-UK/blog/gore-tex-guide/

http://www.gore-tex.com/en-us/technology/outerwear-technologies

http://www.gore-tex.com/en-us/support/restoring-water-repellency
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 05:32:24 PM by Eagle »
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2016, 05:53:36 PM »
Do the Kokatat suits need to have the waterproofing replenished every year?

I'm treating my Ocean Rodeo Soul right now and let me tell you it's a lot of work. I do this every September.

Before waterproofing you first have to wash the suit with Nikwax Techwash and it must be done by hand. Washing machines are not recommended because the process is too rough on the suit. I wash mine with by hand in a tub. Once washed, you have to rinse it three times making sure there is no soap left in the fabric. After that you hang it up and spray a whole bottle of TX-Direct onto the entire suit and let it dry.

People in cold climates who use their suit year round probably have to re-do the waterproofing twice a year. Mine starts to lose it waterproofness around mid to late spring. I wait til after summer to re-plenish it again.

Gore Tex fabric does not need "waterproofing". The membrane itself it waterproof, it is not treated with anything to make it waterproof, there is nothing you can do to it to make it waterproofer, and it does not lose its waterproofness unless the GT membrane actually wears through or the seams tape breaks down. The outer material of any GT garment is NOT goretex. It is usually nylon and is usually treated with a water repellent chemical (DWR) that simply keeps water from soaking into the nylon fabric. The DWR on the outer fabric does wear out or off and as Eagle mentions, it can usually be reactivated with heat. But don't do it with latex gaskets! Or you can retreat the fabric with an aftermarket DWR product. Just don't confuse the DWR with a waterproof membrane, different things.

I have never retreated the DWR on any of my Gore Tex products.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 05:55:21 PM by addapost »
Bunch of old shit

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2016, 07:15:51 PM »
+1

The only garments we should be "waterproofing" these days are the waxed cotton variety from Barbour and Filson...not entirely worth the trouble if you ask me, but they won't bloody die...

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2016, 08:11:33 PM »
Hi there,

I have both a Kokatat dry suit and an Imersion Research dry suit that I use for kayaking. The IR suit is imo a better suit. Including zippers, and zipper position, boots, fabric durability and waterproofing. It is however contoured somewhat for sitting. I have never tried it for SUP surfing and would worry about putting a hole in it and it turning into an anchor!

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2016, 11:12:32 PM »
+1

The only garments we should be "waterproofing" these days are the waxed cotton variety from Barbour and Filson...not entirely worth the trouble if you ask me, but they won't bloody die...

And anything made of nylon.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2016, 01:43:21 AM »
When you guys who use dry suits go out, how hard do you work, in terms of heart rate and time?

I sometimes use a Goretex spray top. But at the end of a session I'll typically end up with so much sweat inside that it's actually running out of the end of the sleeves and drips everywhere, even with the neck undone. This happens even in cool air and with little underneath. I can't imagine what would happen in a full dry suit. Do any of you regularly paddle for a couple of hours straight with your average HR in the 85-95% of Max HR zone?

And no, I'm not an especially sweaty person.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2016, 03:33:59 AM »
A10 that's a really good point.  I only use my ONeil dry suit in instances when the only alternative would be a wetsuit.  So, January through March when the ocean gets into the 30's and the air in the teens.  Even on the coldest days, if I've been working hard, my base layers will be pretty damp.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal