Author Topic: Dry Suit??? Ocean Rodeo???  (Read 28436 times)

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Dry Suit??? Ocean Rodeo???
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2016, 02:50:02 PM »
So for those of you who have the Ocean Rodeo, I have a couple of questions. I was looking online at both the Soul and the Ignite. It appears to me that the Ignite has built in booties and also has that waist belt to stop water from getting to the bottom of the suit when the neck gasket is not engaged. And Robon also mentioned that the Ignite is a little heavier as a suit. And of course the Ignite is also more expensive. Are there any other significant differences I’m missing?

I am wondering first of all about the booties. I saw a post in that other thread where Yugi said he wouldn’t get a dry suit with integrated booties because he would want to be able to let any water get out through the ankle seals. Any other plus’ or minus’ to the integrated booties? Are they alone worth the extra money for the Ignite?

And Robon, you mentioned that the Ignite is a heavier suit, and that was one of the negatives about it. Is this because it is more restrictive as far as mobility goes?

And finally, I know this may seem counter intuitive, but one reason I’ve never considered a dry suit before is that I have never liked anything tight around my neck. Even as a kid, I have never been comfortable with having something tight against my neck. Then I saw with Ocean Rodeo you can actually still wear the suit without the neck gasket on. This has some major appeal to me. I suppose if I was out in some very major conditions I would wear the neck gasket, but I would think for most instances I would not. Does this mean I should get the Ignite where they have the waist belt? Or if I’m not using the neck gasket most of the time, does it mean I should not even bother with a dry suit?

As for the conditions I’m paddling in, I live in B.C., Canada close to the west coast. I do not go out in really crazy conditions. My need for a dry suit, or at least some kind of immersion protection is that in winter I’m paddling in cold water. But in most cases, the water conditions will be flat to some chop. But it won’t be major ocean swells, etc.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
I've been using the Soul DS since 2013. I use it for mainly kiteboarding, but I've now starting using it for winter paddles and whitewater SUPing.
First I'm quoting OR (applicable to the Soul too)...
"When worn in “full dry” mode, the Ignite is 100% dry. In modest conditions or when relaxing between sessions the Ignite is quickly converted to “standby mode” by opening the dry zip and doffing the neck seal. With the over jacket then zipped up the Ignite provides ventilation and protection on par with, or superior to other leading foul weather gear ensembles."

Like PonoBill stated, if you like the "standby mode" aspects of these suits, then using a traditional Gore rain jacket and pant will give you same results. Once you're swimming, neither suits will provide any protection. The "wader" waist belt on the Ignite may help mitigate some migration, but it doesn't create a seal as far as I know. The only real way to insure you stay dry is to have the suit zipped up when on the water.

The integrated booties offer a higher level of protection and warmth nothing more. You still need to wear something over the booties to protect them and since water is not intruding into the suit when in "full dry" mode, there's no real benefit other than to stay dry and warm. Since the Soul is booty-less, I just use varying thicknesses of neoprene booties depending on the temps.

As fas as the gaskets go, I'm much like you in that I can't stand things around my neck (turtle necks and ties drive me crazy). That said, getting used the gasket was no problem. I actual barely feel the compression. It's actually about the same as some of my wetsuits. You can also trim the gaskets to get the compression just perfect for your preference. Something for the wrists and ankles.

If you don't ever see yourself using the suit in "full dry" mode, then no drysuit is going to meet your needs. If you're not swimming (or no chance) then several of the other options presented here are perfect. You either need to decide if you want to be warm when wet or warm and dry when wet.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 02:55:36 PM by 2Rivers »
King's Type-S 14' | Soul Firestorm 8'9
ZRE Power Surge ZX4 80sq" | Kialoa Big Eddy
Larry Allison Dolphin Keel

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2016, 02:59:59 PM »
For kiteboarding - whitewater rafting - and surfing on the West Coast of Van Island - the OR Soul is quite popular. 

For SUP fully gasketed up - it might be a bit much - especially here in Van.  You would roast in that once your HR is up.   But in really cold conditions - it would be proper.  Would go with integrated booties though.  When my feet get cold when temps drop - they never warm up paddling.  They just freeze.  With dry booties they stay toasty warm. 

Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2016, 04:25:07 PM »
Reread Pono's post, he nails it. To that I would add, it is not a "dry" suit unless it has latex neck and wrist gaskets. Neoprene gaskets will not keep water out, some gets in. If you are swimming they will leak. There is no such thing as "dry" pants except in the imagination of the marketing copy writer.
I come from a sea kayaking background, the gold standard in the kayak world is a Kokatat Gore-Tex dry suit.
https://kokatat.com/product/gore-tex-expedition-dry-suit-dsuexp
I have been using and abusing their top of the line Expedition suit for 12 years now. The last six years on SUP. I paddle all winter with it. (flatwater and DW, not surf) Mine just started leaking last winter, not a lot, nothing catastrophic, just damp undergarments from some spots where the fabric finally broke down. Their Gore Tex suits have a lifetime warranty and I am currently waiting for a new one that is being custom built for me, should be here in a week or two. The suit replacement is free but I chose to get custom colors which cost me $110. I know $1300 is A LOT for a suit but: 1. it's less than a new board. 2. It has the lifetime warranty (I figure to get 20-24 years use from the two suits that cost the original $1200) 3. It works.
Bunch of old shit

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2016, 04:30:37 PM »
Hey Quick Beam,

I have used the Ignite in cool, not cold conditions and didn't overheat. It doesn't have to be really cold to get the benefit of the Soul or Ignite. You layer underneath accordingly and I have gone out in just a synthetic t-shirt and shorts and it wasn't too bad at all when it was well above freezing out. You will get warm when working hard of course, but I find the suit breathes quite well. A lighter duty suit with thinner fabric will be better if temps are quite warm but I think you would be surprised. I bought mine direct from OR on the island and paddlers are using these for pretty much everything in all conditions.

The difference in weight in the Soul and Ignite comes from the integrated boots, higher collar, belt, and reinforced knee area that is padded. I tried on both suits several times before I bought the Ignite and didn't notice a difference in mobility. There is a full range of motion and no restriction. Just get sized right. The Ignite also has an upgraded external zipper on the jacket that is rated to one atmosphere and cinch spots on the wrists and ankles that may add a few grams as well. Probably a pound heavier? These are durable suits and you won't want either if you are counting grams anyways.

I got the Ignite discounted because it was out of the box, but never used. The guys at the shop are great. The Soul would have been just fine but I do like the bells and whistles of the Ignite. It is more of an expedition style suit with the main differences being the higher collar, reinforced/padded knees, upgraded external jacket zipper, belt, integrated booties, cinch points and more high visibility patches/piping. I am definitely liking the integrated booties and it is nice to have dry feet, and I can wear one less pair of socks and my feet stay warmer longer. The stand by mode is a sweet feature with real world applications for paddlers. You can put the suit on without the neck gasket, and rig/haul all your gear, drive to and from or whatever, and be more comfortable. I have paddled in standby mode and you just want to be careful or don't forget that you are in standby mode in rougher conditions, which has happened to me.

I noticed there is a cheap Soul for sale on the BC SUP buy and used site. Prices will continue to drop with the latest models coming online soon.

Here is a comparison that Norm Hann did a while back.

https://www.normhann.com/recent-news/gear-review/ocean-rodeo-ignite-and-soul-drysuits/

Another review from surf sanctuary

http://www.surfsanctuary.co.uk/ocean-rodeo-ignite/

« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 04:52:44 PM by robon »

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2016, 05:04:39 PM »
Yeah the Kokatat Dry Expedition is deemed to be the best by many - and is used for rentals here quite a bit as well.  But the OR Ignite probs is a good option as well - when immersed for any time.  Whenever I get dunked I just about come out dry I hop on the board so fast.  Haha.  But full dry is best for dangerous AW and DW conditions for sure.  Times when it is too crazy risky though - we just say forget it and go to the Squamish Brew Pub for a beer and burger.
Fast is FUN!   8)

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2016, 05:12:35 PM »
Here are two more options that you may want to consider...

Patagonia Gore-tex
http://www.patagonia.com/product/gore-tex-kiting-suit/88405.html

NP Surf Lucifer
http://www.npsurf.com/products/drysuit/lucifer/drysuit.html

I'm really fond of the Patagonia model.
King's Type-S 14' | Soul Firestorm 8'9
ZRE Power Surge ZX4 80sq" | Kialoa Big Eddy
Larry Allison Dolphin Keel

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2016, 05:22:16 PM »
Not sure about the performance of the Ignite but it is expensive, in the same ball park as the Kokatat gore tex suits. What is the warranty on that? For that kind of money kokatat will replace their suit at any time for life if it fails. Like I said, I've been beating the crap out of mine for 12 years and am now getting a free replacement. I'd hope the other $1000+ suits can match that. Every once in a while you purchase a product where you continually say, "man this thing is awesome." I say that every time I put this thing on. I have no vested interest in any of these things, I have just been using the Kokatat expedition suit and highly recommend it.
Bunch of old shit

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2016, 05:37:01 PM »
Gore-Tex is pretty good for their warranty - but sometimes the retailer tries to say it is guaranteed for the useful life of the fabric.  Had that happen one time - but you have to stand your ground if you are right.  They credited me the full amount in the end after escalation.  The membrane was delaminating everywhere and the fabric was fine.

"Factoring in reasonable wear and tear as determined by our team, if your GORE-TEX® product is properly cared for and used as intended then you can expect it to remain waterproof, windproof and breathable for its useful life."

"Is it a lifetime guarantee? 

No: It applies to waterproofness, windproofness and breathability for the useful life of the product"

"Use your best judgment, if the garment, footwear or glove have worn soles, rips, tears, punctures, abrasions, it may be time to buy a new one. If it looks worn out then it likely is. If you are unsure give us a call or send us an email and we can help make an assessment."

Helly Hansen is really good for warranty as well.  If the membrane delams they will replace or upgrade.  80% or more of our outdoor gear is Gore-Tex.

http://www.gore-tex.com/en-us/experience/our-promise

Fast is FUN!   8)

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2016, 07:08:20 PM »
Not sure about the performance of the Ignite but it is expensive, in the same ball park as the Kokatat gore tex suits. What is the warranty on that? For that kind of money kokatat will replace their suit at any time for life if it fails. Like I said, I've been beating the crap out of mine for 12 years and am now getting a free replacement. I'd hope the other $1000+ suits can match that. Every once in a while you purchase a product where you continually say, "man this thing is awesome." I say that every time I put this thing on. I have no vested interest in any of these things, I have just been using the Kokatat expedition suit and highly recommend it.

Ocean Rodeo does not offer a lifetime warranty, and like you have said Kokatat does offer a lifetime replacement, which is great. I was looking into Kokatat, and the switch zip tech looks really functional and versatile. if I keep using dry suits, I wouldn't mind trying one of their offerings. With that said, I like the standby mode that OR has, and the fit can be customized with the belt and removable suspenders. I also like the location of the external pockets on the jacket that are functional more like a regular jacket and easier to access than other dry suit setups. It's secondary, but the Ignite doesn't look a drysuit either, and there is some functionality in the jacket styling. Not being fugly like many other drysuits is a bonus.

I didn't pay full retail on the Ignite which I bought new, and if price is a concern it may be worth knowing that OR licensed their tech to Stohlquist and they have the Shift, which is basically the same suit and it is a bit, to a lot cheaper in some shops.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 07:18:22 PM by robon »

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2016, 08:13:51 PM »
Here is The Kokatat warranty -

"All Kokatat products are fully guaranteed to the original owner against defects in materials and workmanship for the reasonable life of the item. Products found to be defective will be repaired or replaced at Kokatat’s option. Repairs due to normal wear and tear, accident, abuse, etc., will be made for a reasonable charge. Latex gaskets are not covered by the Kokatat warranty"

https://kokatat.com/support/warranty-repairs
Fast is FUN!   8)

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2016, 09:57:45 PM »
Thanks everybody for all the information. I just love the Zone. I don’t think there is anywhere else I could go to get this much information this quickly. So thanks again to all of you.

And Robon, thanks for the tip on Stohlquist. Definitely worth looking into if I do decide to opt for a dry suit.

I think for now I’m going to take a serious look at the pants that Eagle has. I have a pair put aside for me at MEC so hopefully I’ll get a chance to take a look tomorrow. I think I mentioned earlier that I already have a dry top, so if I can combine it with these dry pants it will save me a lot of money. I’ll pair them together and jump in the water a few times and see how wet I get. If I do not get enough protection then I can always return the pants and just get a wetsuit.

So far this year I’ve bought three new paddle boards, two new paddles, and a new PFD. Time to try and save some money somewhere!

Oh, and Eagle, I think in an earlier post you asked where I am located. I am up at Cultus Lake, near Chilliwack.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2016, 04:22:46 AM »
....it is not a "dry" suit unless it has latex neck and wrist gaskets. Neoprene gaskets will not keep water out, some gets in...

For dry suits intended for surface-sport use only, neoprene neck gaskets are a great compromise between comfort and seal.  I've only had minimal water ingress in the surf, maybe a little unnerving when it first happened but falls while normal flatwater paddling have been completely dry.  The neoprene neck on the O'Neil drysuit is just like a modern wetsuit neck but with virtually no seam.

Dive specific dry suits are of course a completely different matter, but none of the suits discussed here would be rated for that.

SeldomScene

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2016, 02:56:52 PM »
Kolatat dry suits are the real deal.  Have used one for 10 years.  Dry feet = warm feet.  Have used in 39 degree whitewater with wool undies to stay warm.  Only issue is if its warmish and sunny you can overwhelm it if youre paddling hard.  As for warranty, i know someone who bought a used one that leaked intending to pay for repair.  Kokatat sent him a new drysuit at no charge.  Has nothing to do with Gore's warranty.  You can score one at REI when one of those 20 % off coupons comes out.  Recently i safety boarded a youth racing regatta in pouring rain and wind and stayed dry and toasty warm.  If youre in BC water is 48 to 52 year round.unless its a warm summer day a dry suit would work just fine.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 02:59:28 PM by SeldomScene »

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2016, 03:29:11 PM »
This the OR warranty -

"All stock Ocean Rodeo Drysuits are covered by a one-year warranty offered to the original purchaser on workmanship, with a one-year warranty on materials. Warranty is limited to the repair or replacement of the Ocean Rodeo product at our option. This warranty does not cover damage caused by normal wear and tear, fading, misuse or negligence. Ocean Rodeo’s warranty does not cover the drysuit’s latex seals."

https://oceanrodeo.com/drywear/warranty/

While the OR is a nice design - the warranty does not compare to Gore-Tex or Kokatat.  It seems according to the post above - in some instances Kotatat will go to extra lengths even if not the original owner.  The warranty is a big issue as well as customer service.  And it appears in some cases Kokatat may exceed expectations.  Even at a relatively high price - the product seems to be selling itself.  Says a lot.  Sounds like a very good product with excellent customer service.  So it hits on price quality and service - that some people are willing to pay for.
Fast is FUN!   8)

SeldomScene

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2016, 04:51:24 PM »
Couple more points about the Kokatat, or any other dry suit with latex neck gasket.  You can remove the latex one and install an aftermarket neoprene gasket easily, if even a trimmed neoprene gasket bothers you. 

Those dry tops people speak of are designed to keep you dry when worn with a spray skirt.  The inner dry top tucks under the skirt, then the outer top goes over the top, making it a kind of sandwiching layer.  Not sure how effective they would be on an SUP.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard