Author Topic: Jimmy Lewis M14 or M12'6"  (Read 4355 times)

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Jimmy Lewis M14 or M12'6"
« on: September 21, 2016, 10:32:12 PM »
My wife and I are thinking about adding downwinders on Maui to our summer activities. We are not interested in racing at all, and are looking for boards that would be fun to catch bumps and have fun riding and negotiating them on Maui downwinders, probably often in Kihei if wind conditions allow. We are surfers at heart, not racers. The M12'6" sounds like a good board for my wife, but I am having a tougher time deciding between that and the M14 for myself. Info: 5'11", 163 lbs (75 kilos), 65 yrs old with two messed up hips, but otherwise in strong physical condition with no problem doing 5 hour surf sessions. You can see my current SUP surfboards in my signature. The Flow and the Speeed are perfect for me in glassy conditions, and I go to the Tabou when it gets choppy. My lower limit is about 110 liters in glass, and I need closer to 140 when its really choppy.
With all that info, anyone have suggestions as to which M size would be best for me; or possibly other boards to suggest for old farts that want to have fun maneuvering in ocean swells, but are too stiff and sore to spend a lot of time having to climb back up on board after falls.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Jimmy Lewis M14 or M12'6"
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 11:26:52 PM »
I'll say it first: 14.

Many others will follow, I suspect.

Try the SICs also.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 11:37:54 PM »
First, everybody falls when downwinding. Except maybe Jeremy. But, most of us all go off the board due to the conditions present when downwinding. I can do a Maliko once in awhile without falling and I feel really good about it, but it's the exception not the rule. And, that's after literally 100's of runs here on Maui, including the channels. I fall less on the Kihei side but I still fall over there too. Yesterday was an easy day on Kihei, maybe 15 to 20 mph wind and nice bumps, everything lined up pretty well and I fell in twice. All that said, wider boards will give more stability. The nice thing with Kihei is that it gradually builds as far as swell, so it's a good place to cut your downwind teeth. You can do some shorter runs to start out, say Kihei Canoe Club to Sarrentos. Then, as you get more comfortable, you can gradually lengthen your runs until you are going all the way from the mudflats to Makena. Conditions can get weird on that side, wind can switch directions causing extremely difficult sea conditions in a very short time. Winds can also blow you out to sea on that side of the island, so you need to really pay attention to your line and make sure that you can always surf left.

I have not paddled the Jimmy boards, although I have a JL surfboard and standup surfing board and love them both. All of my downwinders have been on ruddered SIC boards here. I have looked at the M14's and I would love to paddle one. I will say that having a rudder in Maui conditions can be extremely helpful as well as a safety backup for current and/or offshore wind conditions. Still, plenty of people paddle fixed fin boards here and do exceptionally well on them. But, ruddered boards shouldn't be dismissed if you're making the investment. I bought a used SIC F14 with a rudder for my daughter and friends to use when they visit. It's wide and stable, and slow, when compared to something like my Bullet 17. But it is a very stable board that will catch swells and allow you to downwind surf. I have sort of been lusting after the Jimmy M14's for a while now and I really, really want to try one.

If you can demo a few boards before you drop the money, I would highly recommend it. I would also strongly discourage a 12-6 as a dedicated downwind board. I get that you say that you are not interested in speed per se, but you want a board that glides and as you get hooked on downwind surfing, you want something capable of linking swells on. That's very difficult on a 12-6. My daughter is fairly small, maybe 110 lbs., she's used 12-6 boards and 14's on downwinders, here and back in the Gorge. She does way better on a 14. Whether you end up with JL boards or not, my piece of advice would be at least a 14 for you, maybe longer if you decide to expand your board choices, and also get your wife on a 14. Good luck, adding downwinding will change your world. Stick with it, it takes a while before you really start to get the hang of it but once you start really catching open ocean swells, you will be hooked if you are a surfer.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 11:50:51 PM »
I paddled the M-14 for close to three years and now own the 12'6. They are both great boards.

I'm 59yo and 170 lbs.

For ocean downwinders in Maui, I would want the M-14 for the extra glide. I'm not sure how the 12'6 would compare because I've never been out in those kind of conditions but I think the M-14 being faster might leave the M-12'6 far behind.

I switched to the M-12'6 because it's better suited to the smaller downwind conditions we have here. It's also a lot lighter and easier to carry. Also, the 12'6 surfs better. It turns easier and feels more stable on the wave than the 14'.

The M-14 surfs good too. It catches waves a bit earlier but feels slower on the wave and can be more difficult to control. For both boards I prefer a standard longboard fin over the stock fin for surfing.

I doubt there are any other downwind boards that surf as well as the Jimmy Lewis M series.

Judging by your surfboards, I'm sure you would find both the 14' and the 12'6 to be plenty stable.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 12:20:59 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 12:11:11 AM »
i have put my other half and a number of girls on 12'6 and 14s and they all do a hole lot better on the 14s and have more fun. unless you have to do a big paddle out or have to hike a long way or have storage issues i think you booth would be better on 14's. 12'6 are fun when it howling 40-50knots and the bumps are close together and easy to catch but on Maui its going to be 14s all day long.  if anything she should be on a 14 and you on a 12'6 to equal the speeds.

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 12:44:05 AM »
" We are surfers at heart "  That's me !  If I'm paddling more than surfing/gliding than I'm not having fun. I have both the JL 14' and a 17' Bullet. I'm the same height and weight but a few years younger than you. As far as I'm concerned the JL is the most fun board to use on good south side conditions. It fits the shorter period bumps so much better than the bullet. A 12'6" may work Kihei as well but it wouldn't work on malikos. My bullet gets the call on maliko runs as the open ocean swells tend to be larger and further apart. This is where an unlimited board is at home. However when winds get more than 25mph. I enjoy using  my JL  on malikos too. It is a fun board to "surf" the swells with. One board has a rudder and one doesn't. The best of both worlds in my opinion. Hope that helps...

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 03:17:51 AM »
I have an M14.....great board.....it needs a bit more wind to get it going and planning easier but I find it very user friendly and that is coming from someone who doesn't DW that often. It feels pretty neutral in the water which is a big help to me. I like that I can just paddle it along the coast and surf small waves too - it isn't going to crank any bottom turns on my waves....but it is a whole heap more fun than surfing the new x27 Allstar. (Allstar better in lighter winds.)

You can also get the Rail - which is a newer more racey version of the M14.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 10:41:35 AM »
In Hawaii - would definitely go M-14 for small days - and for sure a Bullet 17.4 for big.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 01:29:16 PM »
Thanks all. Has anyone compared the M14 to the newer Rail?
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 03:17:42 PM »
Would expect the Rail to be more sporty and plane faster in smaller conditions.  Kinda like a Bullet 14V1 and 14V2.  Interesting also that Jimmy changed the M-14 to add a panel vee tail and lower rocker.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

SUPalon

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 11:55:50 PM »
I've never tried the JL's but I did get to DW SIC 14 V1 and V2 and the Blue planet bump rider 14 in Carbon and also in older heavier  sandwich construction . I highly recommend adding the bump rider to your demo list. Fast, stable, surfy and fun! Robert S. is on the zone, a zone sponsor and not far from you on Oahu.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 09:45:44 AM »
The Rail is lower volume, narrower and much pointier both front and back than the Bullet V2. So it definitely feels a lot "sportier". It's fast in flats and rules in chop. It has that M14 feel but much sportier, nervous and faster.

I have yet to be on it in solid DW conditions but have ridden next to it w riders I know well. It's not a beginner board, you need to have some skill, but it is fast. Seems to take off plenty easy.

The Rail is great for someone skilled and not heavy, looking for a fast and turny board.

If your wife is light it may be a perfect board for her. Not a difficult board for a light person. With your hips issue you may prefer the M14. Try them and see.

One thing I learned in naval architecture is that water craft much be esthetic (same rule for bikes, BTW). The Rail is a pure beauty.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 09:52:18 AM by yugi »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal